gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 08:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  computer help needed how do i secure a wireless network
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: computer help needed how do i secure a wireless network  (Read 443 times)

dct

computer help needed how do i secure a wireless network
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:10 PM »
need to secure things - got belkin wireless thing and a speedtouch router thing - it all works fine but says its insecure how do i secure it chaps 

proper computer novice here :idiot2:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: computer help needed how do i secure a wireless network
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:14 PM »
Danny find your computer MAC code, don't know how you do it on a PC but someone on here might. Then go to your router settings and you can set it up so it allows certain machines (by their MAC codes) once this is done turn off the SSID Broadcast, so you can't find your network when searching for wireless networks.

Doing it this way no one even knows your network is there and it only allows your machine to access it anyway.  :daumenhoch:

dct

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:19 PM »
thanks jim -  :daumenhoch:

see you guys next year - as i wont be able to log on for a while when i f**k this up   :idiot2:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:25 PM »
See PCs are such hardwork. On a mac you just go to system profiler and it lists it all up. Shazam!! LOL

Danny just make sure you set it all up first and it works with the MAC address, when all is okay just go in and turn off the SSID Broadcast.

Then back up your settings!  ;) :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:26 PM »
mac filtering is the way to go. you could try the WEP encryption thing, but it does my head in and never works for me.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Yep MAC codes is where it is at.

If you ever want to allow another computer/Wii/PS3 to access your wireless network just go back into your router settings and add their MAC codes.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Fooking things, I have just got a new router tonight so I`ve set it up no problem, except when I set up the wep security it stops me from connecting  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:38 PM »
I do it the same way as Jim (MAC filtering and non-broadcast SSID). Not totally secure, but better than fook all

JT71

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:38 PM »
I only have cat5e to my xboxes, so media streams sweet.

wirelss is ok, but i just tried that turning the SSID off and couldn't connect. had to connect to my router with a cable to tunr it back on.  :'(

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I do it the same way as Jim (MAC filtering and non-broadcast SSID). Not totally secure, but better than fook all

I have it all password protected too, obviously!  :D

I have had no problem with wireless at all. Until I was updating the firmware on my router and the machine crashed and fried my router. Luckily I backed up my settings, bought a new router and uploaded my original settings and was away again in 5 minutes.

I have my Wii and PS3 set up through my wireless network and they all work fine too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 09:45 PM by jimwise68 »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  computer help needed how do i secure a wireless network

gfxgfx
gfx gfx