gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975769 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 11:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  old school going new school
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: old school going new school  (Read 2639 times)

doom1

old school going new school
« on: December 11, 2005, 07:28 AM »
i am an old bmxer from the early 80s,  I am looking to build a new bike,(race model) what frame would you choose,and do you like the s&m rv.

thanks for the help

Offline showtime

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: old school going new school
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:05 AM »
i'd say get to a meeting & try sitting on or riding  few bikes to see which ones fit you the best!
it sounds odd but i have spent loads in the past creating what i thought would be a killer bike only to sell it barely used as it just didn't "feel" right  :-[
just try as many as you can :santa_afro:

mightymini

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 09:18 AM »
the s&m rv is awsome, been on one for about 2 month after racin the season on a old bike, brought my game on loads in such a short time. all the new rides i have been on are a different world compared to the old rides.

weston

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 10:17 AM »
if your from the old school you cant really go wrong with a gt or haro race bike as they still have the same geometry, like showtime said, you need to sit on a few & try a few out to see which is best for you...

doom1

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 06:26 PM »
thanks for the imput.
   Two bikes seem to fit me very well, I cant decide between the PK Ripper race or the S&M rv, any imput.

Thanks

mightymini

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 06:37 PM »
dont touch the ripper, the s&m is a real deal made in the usa race bike. ;)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I've got a Staats Pro XXL frame for sale in For Sale/Wanted , top race frame.

sam hudson

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:35 PM »
Oh here we go again about the new ripper  :wtf:...and here i go again.Ive actually GOT one and i love it.I have NO PROBLEMS with it and i think its just as good as my 84 ripper and my aero pro team burner...in fact,i can actually fit on the new Ripper as opposed to breaking my knees off everytime i lean forward a bit on the 84 ripper!!!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE NEW RIPPER...ITS JUST NOT MADE IN AMERICA by the old SE Racing.

(and before you all start...it might not be the bestest bmx in the world but its better (for racing)than a large amount of the chunky black s#ite thats on the new school market).

Come on other NS Ripper owners..i know you're out there...back me up.

steve

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 05:29 PM »
i concur

-nie

mightymini

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:36 PM »
yeh but its no s&m rv. there are a few bikes i would choose before the ripper, but thats not slagging it off its just saying it aint the best race bike out there ;)

sanderson

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 07:38 PM »
get yourself an rv best bike ive ridden,all round use racing,trails,skatepark
check out prevoius link.
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=3952.0

sam hudson

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 07:40 PM »
 :santa_afro:
Looks good to me.How much r they???

mightymini

Flying_fox

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Standard 125R ox. I race mine, go to the skatepark and the trails. It feels right at home anywhere I use it. But be warned they cost a lot of money. Much like the S&M, which I must say is a nice bike too.

Don't go for any of those alloy disco diva race frames. The head angle makes them too twitchy.
I raced a 1999 Ripper for a year a few seasons ago and it scared the shite out of me.

I think value for money at the moment has to be the Dialed MX20, cromo, strong, light. And the company is owned by some one who does care about the UK race scene. Mike puts more back into British BMX than he makes from it. And I don't trust any one who drives a car like his.

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 01:10 AM »
I think value for money at the moment has to be the Dialed MX20, cromo, strong, light. And the company is owned by some one who does care about the UK race scene. Mike puts more back into British BMX than he makes from it. And I don't trust any one who drives a car like his.

Oi Miles, I'll have you know that my motor's a vintage Mercedes ;-)

Doom1, if you're looking at the S&M RV, it's worth looking at the dialled bikes MX20 too, as they are both made of cro-moly, roughly the same weight (the RV is 1 ounce lighter) and are made to do similar things (race & trails).  The MX20 might not be made in the US, but that means diddly squat these days.  dialled bikes has a proven track record of over 200 mountain bike and BMX frames sold over the last 2 years and not one warranty return.  And people like Steve Taylor don't hold back when they ride!

I designed the MX20 to be in the same genre as the RV, Standard 125 and DK RM59 (though out of that lot, the Standard is the most expensive because it has the best tubing).

Oh yeah, and you get a fork with the MX20 - so whole package for £290 including delivery.

There's more info here:  http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/bmx/mx20.html

MeddlE

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Surely you should be pushing the technique Mike?? ;)

dialledbikes

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 03:44 PM »

I suppose I should ;-)

I just focussed on the MX20 cos Doom1 seemed to be after a cro-moly frame and cos Miles recommened it.

sam hudson

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 04:59 PM »
get yourself an rv best bike ive ridden,all round use racing,trails,skatepark
check out prevoius link.
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=3952.0

:o £420 for a frame is a fair old whack.It SHOULD be great for that price.You cant really compare a £400 bike(Ripper) with a £400 frame.It looks good though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 05:01 PM by sam hudson »

Flying_fox

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 07:36 PM »

I know, lets start the 'should BMX frames be made out of ti' debate again. :santa_grin:

I only recomend cro-mo.... thats what BMXs should be made from. 8) :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 06:38 AM »
If you wanna F&F that is built new school but has classic good looks then search around for one of these,£400 should get one bought and shipped

:santa_afro: DINGO :santa_afro:

baldbmxer

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 07:41 AM »
Pound for pound S&M frmaes have got to be the best. The RV is a frame that you can just jump on and ride, its spot on. Get the bis one if any.

But if you are 6ft or over try and get your hands on an S&M Neal Wood Frame. I have one after an S&M Challenger - early RV and it is quite simply
the best bike I have ever ridden. 21.25'' top tube makes all the difference. Strong - long - spot on!

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 08:57 AM »
hey Jonny.. is that the 'Neal Wood' ex Barlow??

theRuler

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 09:05 AM »

Come on other NS Ripper owners..i know you're out there...back me up.

i got a newschool ripper
best bike i have ever had

although mine is the smaller one - 36" wheelbase (i think the larger ones are about 38")

my only gripe about the newest rippers is the size of them. too big for me. if you are ok with a bigger bike then you cant go far wrong with a PK ripper. years of heritage counts. the new SE bikes are hot!! not being made in america does not make any difference to quality (unless you are american)

also dont judge the bike by the top tube length. its only the gap between the seat and the bars.
the measurements you need to look at head tube angle and wheelbase, then chainstay length, then seattube angle - the toptube length is merely a by product of these other dimensions.
top tube lengths only best describe 2 frames that are the same, but come in 2 sizes (like standards for example)
my DNA frame has a 21" toptube, but is a 33" wheelbase flatland bike. my ripper has a 20" toptube, but is a 36" wheelbase race bike.

go figure.

rom_kid_04

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 09:08 PM »
thats because they have different rear triangle lenghs and different head tube angle ect.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  old school going new school

gfxgfx
gfx gfx