gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 05:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Insuring Your Bike Collection
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Insuring Your Bike Collection  (Read 890 times)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Insuring Your Bike Collection
« on: February 25, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Just a quicky

I'm changing my contents insurers soon and was just wondering if anybody has found good insurance policys either combined with house contents or seperate for insuring a group of bikes

Cheers

Andy
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
Re: Insuring Your Bike Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Just a quicky

I'm changing my contents insurers soon and was just wondering if anybody has found good insurance policys either combined with house contents or seperate for insuring a group of bikes
Cheers

Andy

you a pimp like? :2funny:

sorry andy, really couldnt resist, :LolLolLolLol:

on with the thread :police:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:42 PM »
i have a mate that enquired last month to put it on his house insurance, and it doubled the premium, he has about 10 bikes, so he didnt bother :-\
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Frosty

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:57 PM »
I have re-insured through a mate of a mates company London based and he has provided 15k of garage cover excluding the motorbikes as they are handled separately. Plus the house building and contents all came in at 600.

Building 260k
Contents 80k
Jewellery 10k
personal effects 5k

LMK if you would like contact details.

Paul

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply Paul

Garage content as a whole sounds like a good way to get round the problem of naming each bike  :daumenhoch: If it's not too much hassel the name of the company you used would be good, never harms to get a quote.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09 PM »
The way i have done it is to name each bike with a value attached and insure the value , that way they cant back out and try the new for old trick

so each bike is insured with a value ,meaning i have taken out an insurance option on the value not the bike type

imagine , so heres your new PK ripper 08 much nicer than your old 1982 one  :(

its costing me ,130 quid a year , that includes the bikes while out with no clauses like locks and stuff ,in case i get mugged while riding lol
they will not try to find out the value in a claim as i think this is the sticky bit , how do you prove an old bike is worth 1000s of quid?
try to insure the money ,not the bike
it took ages of going backwards and forwards but i have in writing what the conditions are and am as happy as i can be that they have cover :2gunsfiring_v1:
Rich

dannywhiteley

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:20 PM »
Similar situation, I used to run a 1982 mk1 golf that was in show condition (front cover of Performance VW March 06) and I had an agreed valuation with the insurance company.  That way if my £4000 golf got written off, they wouldnt try to give me book value for a mk1 golf of £300-500.  It was a 1.3 not a GTI so wouldve struggled to convince them otherwise had I had standard insurance on it.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:53 PM »
That's good advice Rich - thanks for that mate. I'm looking into it at the moment, and it looks like you've done all the hard work for me mate!

Nice one

:daumenhoch:

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Which company have you done that with then Rich? and is it a seperate policy to your house contents cover?

Cheers

Andy

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:33 AM »
I'd be interested to know the details of this as well Rich... I know my collection is mainly made up of Burners, but I've invested a fair amount of cashiola on them and the thought of them disappearing worries me greatly....

[no jokes about nobody stealing a Burner...  ::) they are a Gypo's fave...  :coolsmiley:]

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:04 PM »
i went through nationwide ,who provide mortgage and house/contents cover, they went off to underwrite it with there insurer and it is an addition to my contents ,so basically its bundled in with my contents but a seperate policy

tbo I have thought about this as a good earner , get a lloyds underwriter to do vintage BMX cover and offer it to all

Rich

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:30 PM »
some good feedback there

I Need to check with 'more than' to see if they can do the same deal ? I have a 3 year policy at the moment, with 3rd year cover free if no claims are made though ? So may need to separate the bikes from this...

I bet ole Radman's premiums must be sky high !  :LolLolLolLol:

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 01:07 PM »

I bet ole Radman's premiums must be sky high !  :LolLolLolLol:

The wallpaper would put of most burgalars...  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Frosty

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:35 PM »
OK I have just checked with my insurer (who incidentally does now cover my car too - very good for a group 20 car). For my bikes I provided a guide to values and some photos to evidence they did indeed exist.

He cannot cover bikes alone, so can bolt on to house building or contents cover etc.

Neil Adams is the name and he is a partner in Harrington Adams Insurance Associates, his number is 0207 702 1915. He is ok with his number being put here.

He may/may not be able to help some of you out - worth a call at least.

Regards

paul

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Thanks very much for the info lads currently I've managed to get £500 per bike on my current cover but I'm definately gonna look for better

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Insuring Your Bike Collection

gfxgfx
gfx gfx