gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 06:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Old School vs New School
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old School vs New School  (Read 2555 times)

Trev

Old School vs New School
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:32 AM »
I have just thought about this after reading Aerostylie's thread about old school freestyle and reading TwoBobRob's quote about walking before they can run.

Made me think a bit.
Okay, I know new school kids don't run a front brake. But how about if us oldies challenged these young 'uns to a front hop or back hop challenge. Or a balacing wheel stand or something. How many new school kids could cut it?

Of course a whip air or a bar spin is harder as far as we're concerned. But if more kids today can do a whip than say 10 front hops, what is actually harder to them?

By kids not learning the absolute basics, does that make the basic hopping and balancing tricks harder than flips and whips?

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Old School vs New School
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:32 AM »
I think the kids who are good at whips,flips etc,could easily put pick up the old skool stuff.

have a word with some of the rom young 'uns and put it to the test

priv

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:04 AM »
I cant whip OR do more than 3 front hops

Have I slipped between the OS/NS gap?

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:07 AM »
that would be midschool dude, and, correct me if im wrong, i think you do slip into that catagory ::)

:LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:15 AM »
that would be midschool dude, and, correct me if im wrong, i think you do slip into that catagory ::)

Midschool = trickless   :'(  :2funny:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:08 AM »

Sean 2000

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Alex, Trickless?
WTF does that make the rest of us then ? :LolLolLolLol:

Sean.

Trev

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:49 AM »
I think i could probably muster up 4 front hops...

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50 AM »
I think i could probably muster up 4 front hops...

I bet they are easier with tuffs

bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, oh .... double figures!

Trev

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:52 AM »
does it count if they're woody hops rathers than regular front hops as i think i could probably do a few more.

SaMAlex

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54 AM »
does it count if they're woody hops rathers than regular front hops as i think i could probably do a few more.

No chance, but now I think about it a Woody hop is very close to a foot jam nosepick! Very NS of you Trev!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 02:23 PM »
Well when I've been teaching some of these scrotes how to tyretap I've often said 'well, just pretend your doing backhops when you're up on the deck' just to get them into the position.

They very nearly always reply  'but I can't do backhops......'

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Well when I've been teaching some of these scrotes how to tyretap I've often said 'well, just pretend your doing backhops when you're up on the deck' just to get them into the position.

They very nearly always reply  'but I can't do backhops......'

I bet you get a strange look when you say "fly out onto the platform and pull your back brake".

Ans 1: "But Mr, Ive only got a back brake"
Ans 2: "But Mr, whats a brake?"

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Alex, if they wish to be physically abused, then they answer back......

otherwise, they do as they're told   ;D

lodge

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24 PM »
Front/Back hops are one of the first tricks I learnt on a BMX a fooking long time ago, the reason I learnt them was because the pro's were doing them which at the time was preston pardon AR etc, thats what we aspired to just like the new school riders aspire to the pros of today and want to learn the tricks there doing, they dont see mikey aitken doing front hops so why would they wanna learn them. A whip is harder than a front hop no question but the n/s kid probs learnt the whip in a foam pit so was it harder to learn?

Heres a new slant on it: at the first uk freestyle comps there were compulsory tricks you had to do in your first run front hops, ramp stall etc. Many riders that could do the latest tricks couldn't do the compulsorys.
At an early ukbfa meeting the compulsory tricks were scrapped at the request of the rider representatives.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 06:00 PM »
if they wish to be physically abused

would you like to re-phrase that rob, it sounds wrong

LOL
Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 08:14 PM »
No, no.....  It's pretty much how I meant it   >:D   ;D ;D

I can't think of a better reason to stay quiet can you?

RADHAB

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 08:48 PM »

Heres a new slant on it: at the first uk freestyle comps there were compulsory tricks you had to do in your first run front hops, ramp stall etc. Many riders that could do the latest tricks couldn't do the compulsorys.
At an early ukbfa meeting the compulsory tricks were scrapped at the request of the rider representatives.
[/quote]

Blimey! I remember at Edenbridge how long it took to get through all the compulsory routines and then all the fanny'ing about telling people they hadnt or had qualified! One i remember that didnt was Mark (Keyhole Kid), didnt qualify to the second round coz he ballsed up the compulsory tricks yet he could do loads of variations 7feet out of the keyhole at Southsea...........so nothing has changed in nearly 25 years, its all about what you try to be best at i guess. Look at it another way how many people were better back in the day at flatland and yet couldnt air for toffee??? Mason Smith competed at pro level for years against Neil, Craig and Jess etc and always did well but no one can remember Mason being one for airs, Jess was lousy at flatland compared to his aerial work so its all about what you prefer and finding what your best at, i think the challenge thrown down here is a bit wishy washy to be honest, its the same as 25 years ago! Find out what your best at and go enjoy it i say, its called "Freestyle" for a reason right?!?!?  :)

lodge

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Exactly man.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 09:08 PM »

Blimey! I remember at Edenbridge how long it took to get through all the compulsory routines and then all the fanny'ing about telling people they hadnt or had qualified! One i remember that didnt was Mark (Keyhole Kid), didnt qualify to the second round coz he ballsed up the compulsory tricks yet he could do loads of variations 7feet out of the keyhole at Southsea...........so nothing has changed in nearly 25 years, its all about what you try to be best at i guess. Look at it another way how many people were better back in the day at flatland and yet couldnt air for toffee??? Mason Smith competed at pro level for years against Neil, Craig and Jess etc and always did well but no one can remember Mason being one for airs, Jess was lousy at flatland compared to his aerial work so its all about what you prefer and finding what your best at, i think the challenge thrown down here is a bit wishy washy to be honest, its the same as 25 years ago! Find out what your best at and go enjoy it i say, its called "Freestyle" for a reason right?!?!?  :)
[/quote]

Yeah, but your biased  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADHAB

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Oh and another thing all you old farts! stop knocking the way the new schoolers dress! if things had been different in the 80's i'm f*cking sure i would have prefered to wear skinny jeans than that uniform cr@p that we all had, can you imagine the new school riders you know wearing the uniforms of the Haro or Skyway teams today? at least today they can go straight to  aclub from the skatepark these days without getting the p!ss ripped out of them, we were a major minority in the 80's remember, and as much i as hate to admit it and never would at the time  :-[ but thank god for Anarchic adjustment and the Mons Jam days and the licence burning and the "Statement" tricks that Eric Steel used to go for and all the other sh!t that went on to change things back then and pave the way forward for what we have today........

And a couple of final thoughts for you all, When the model T Ford was invented do you think Henry Ford ever imagined that the GT40 of today would be such a fantastic car? and do you think the designers at Ford look back and say "Well you know what, the GT40 is a great car but do you reckon the people who drive it today could drive the T?" of course they could if they wanted to but they dont and why would they want to?!?!?
Same with clothes and fashion nits all about progression thats why people are different today........easy really :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 09:23 PM »
Oh and another thing all you old farts! stop knocking the way the new schoolers dress! if things had been different in the 80's i'm f*cking sure i would have prefered to wear skinny jeans than that uniform cr@p that we all had, can you imagine the new school riders you know wearing the uniforms of the Haro or Skyway teams today? at least today they can go straight to  aclub from the skatepark these days without getting the p!ss ripped out of them, we were a major minority in the 80's remember, and as much i as hate to admit it and never would at the time  :-[ but thank god for Anarchic adjustment and the Mons Jam days and the licence burning and the "Statement" tricks that Eric Steel used to go for and all the other sh!t that went on to change things back then and pave the way forward for what we have today........

And a couple of final thoughts for you all, When the model T Ford was invented do you think Henry Ford ever imagined that the GT40 of today would be such a fantastic car? and do you think the designers at Ford look back and say "Well you know what, the GT40 is a great car but do you reckon the people who drive it today could drive the T?" of course they could if they wanted to but they dont and why would they want to?!?!?
Same with clothes and fashion nits all about progression thats why people are different today........easy really :daumenhoch:

Just coz you can fit in skinny jeans and the rest of us can't  ::)  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADHAB

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:28 PM »

Yeah, but your biased  :LolLolLolLol:

[/quote]

Yeah i know  :LolLolLolLol: but its a fair statement that i can say with conviction having been present and riding in both era's.  :daumenhoch:

perry

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 07:18 AM »
regarding the model t

have a look at these A pics and then watch the vid  ;)

http://www.mat.fi/project1929fordmodel-a.htm

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I'm with Radhab, I wore skintight stretch jeans on both my ultraburner and then my Kuwi 25 years ago, so its all changed has it?

Sneering at younguns dress sense is only gonna highlight the fact that you are old and acting it.

I wear tightish jeans these days but not so much when I ride, cos I wear pads.

Oh And if you dont like seeing boys arses hanging out, may I suggest that you reduce the time you spend looking at boys arses   :-*
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Old School vs New School

gfxgfx
gfx gfx