gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 05:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  First time on a Track in 21 Years!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: First time on a Track in 21 Years!!!  (Read 470 times)

moley

First time on a Track in 21 Years!!!
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:02 PM »
Went to Coppull BMX track today to meet Dibly.

Got there around 30mins before him.   

Tried out my Coyote Schizoid for the 1st time.   I don't count the exhibition in the car park where I fell off and injured myself in front of my work colleagues.

The track was empty and it had been raining but had just stopped when I arrived. 

Track conditions weren't too bad considering the weather we've had in the last 2-3 days.

The start hill looked scary and the rest just followed on from that.

Had a few super slow laps to get my bearings.   

After the 1st lap I was knackered.  After the 2nd I was panting like a wild buffalo on heat.

I tried to a little air on one of the jumps but landed to one side and nearly crashed.

I was on my own, nobody about, Dibly might not show.   I decided to stay on the ground.  I didn't want to take the risk of injuring myself and not being found for days.

I was expecting an easy tabletop with a nice run up so I could practice my jumps without crapping myself but all the jumps were quite steep and a sharp drop off behind them.  Or at least they looked like it to me.

Dibly showed up on his Webco and had a good practice session.   Dibly looked nowhere near as knackered as me by the end of it and he smokes.

A few local dads with young kids showed up.   The Dads were good but the Little kids were amazing.   Manualling doubles, jumping doubles etc, etc

It really made me feel old and past my prime.

We stayed about 1 hour and a half.   We then called it a day.   It was cold and bleak and I was totally knackered at this point.

The only bad thing to come out of this experience is I lost one of my Front Brake Pads.  The one on the right.   I took it off to get my front wheel off, so I could fit the bike in the back of my small hatchback. I can't find it anywhere.  Now I have to buy some brake pads.

But I did enjoy myself,  I'm not feeling any aches yet and the experience was invaluable.

I'm really looking forward to the NW OSS races.    I think there is only 1 race in the NW Winter Series left, so I think I will start in the summer series. It will allow me to get some much needed track practice in. 

I should get my Haro Group One RS1 and my 2nd hand GT Race Gear (I hope there not too sweaty) soon.   All I need now is a good pair of gloves and Full Face Helmet.  Then I'm good to go.

THIRSTYKIRSTY

Re: First time on a Track in 21 Years!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:09 PM »
hey mr moley

glad you had a bit of fun today with me bossman,,his webco used to be mine

you will have to take things easy though fella too much too soon will only end up in greif

main thing is you backed off when you had a scare

i have learned alot over the last yr and now tend to ride things fast then jump but on the odd occasion you cant help yerself

the haro is a good frame to start with but that depends on how tall ya are im only 5,10 and ride a hyper with a 21.5 top tube and it rides like me coyote angel,,,sweeet

for sale by the way at a good price too

get to hartlepool on the 9th mate with dib dobs ,,be good to meet ya

russ

moley

Re: First time on a Track in 21 Years!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06 PM »
I'm 5'10" too.   I've not even been on a Haro Group 1 RS1 before so I don't know if it will be suitable for me. 

But then again I only started riding bikes about 10 months ago after a 20 year absence.  So they all seem a bit weird to me.   

I think I've got a brain problem too.   My brain still thinks I'm a 9 stone youth with the reflexes of a cat and the balance of a unicycle tightrope artiste.  My body on the otherhand doesn't do what my brain tells it to and if it does it's about 3 seconds too late. 

Dibly says the OS Bikes are a little sketchy over jumps due to the small TT and geometry compared to Modern day bikes with longer TT

I'll come to Hartlepool, not to race, just to soak up the atmosphere and check out the competition. 

You seem to be having a hard time flogging your Hyper.   I've followed your progress (or lack of) for a while.

Somebody mentioned your Hyper when I was looking for a bike to race OS.   But I had never even heard of the make before, so it put me off a little.

Are you asking too much for it?  Or is nobody man enough to take it on!!!

I didn't want to spend too much money on another bike.  I have bought 5 within the last 8 months.   A road bike, a full suss MTB, a quadangle, Coyote Schizoid and a Haro Group RS1.   I've got nowhere to put them all as it is. 

Good luck selling your Hyper. 

Are you running the North OS Series?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  First time on a Track in 21 Years!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx