gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 03:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Does no one ride oldskool for Freestyle?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Does no one ride oldskool for Freestyle?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
Does no one ride oldskool for Freestyle?
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:06 AM »
Hi there folks :daumenhoch:

I'm a bit stumped. I was driving to Creation and while listening to Kerrang, the presenter did a shout from Dingo re Rad oldskoolBMX at Creation and the presenter said something like 'keepin it oldskool'.

Anyway, at Creation there were only 2 oldskool bikes (mine and madmohicans sweet GT Perfomer) both of us on Skyways and a sea of about 40 new skool bikes. I was just wondering that we reminise about the great freestylers from the 80s, yet no oldskool freestyle moves and hardly any old skool bikes being ridden. I know the site is dedicated to everything BMX but particularly keepin oldskool alive but oldskool seems dead as a dodo at these freestyle meets.

Sorry if this seems a bit negative and I ain't the type to get on my soapbox about things or offend anyone as peeps who know me know I ain't the type so peace to all (including new school). Just curious as to why riding oldskool seems non existent (either in bikes or moves).

Paul ;)

Vans Style

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Does no one ride oldskool for Freestyle?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:16 AM »
I weigh considerably more than I used to BITD and the bikes from then flex a lot more than I remember - I think Billy trashed his Haro in a couple of weeks.  Upshot for me is my size and weight does not make an oldschool bike ride well so I ride new school  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:38 AM »
I still ride mine every so often and the mighty holmetech and limegreenjellihead display team are always on their streetbeats  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Trev

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:54 PM »
Paul, i think I would like to try riding an old school bike for flatland again, but there's a few reasons as to why i don't.
firstly, i wasn't sure how well the old school brakes would work with my weight. secondly, the old school parts are quite expensive and some fairly scarce. I broke lots of Skyways bitd and not sure I could afford to keep replacing them now days.
Another reason would be the pegs. I see how small the pegs are that we use to use and wonder how we ever got our feet on them. I suppose my feet have grown a couple of sizes in the last 20 years. But old school pegs also take a lot of pressure on the axles, so I would also assume with my weight I'd probably end up bending a lot.

Maybe if someone brought a Street Beat rider to one of the future events, it may convince me to do it anyway. I know I had a quick go on someone Street Beat at Creation a couple of sessions back (think it might have been Joe). I would love to have a go on a Street Beat with a coaster brake if anyone has one.  ::)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 02:09 PM »
i will only ride oldschool for everything, thats the full point of my interest in these bike, to use em :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 02:11 PM »
i went down the shop on one today if that counts.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 02:19 PM »
for modern freestyle they're just not strong enough!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:21 PM »
for modern freestyle they're just not strong enough!

a fair few midschoolers would be i reckon :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Paul, First time i met you I had a streetbeat, yeah it was rough cheaply put together one with Zytecs, but a streetbeat none the less.
I was only just learning, I never rode parks or freestyle back in the day, a few dirt jumps and that was it.

so i tried carving around the vert on my oldskool ride and was having fun until I got on meddle's bike, then I didn't want to give it back.

bike build and technology has moved on and for good reason.

but for your oldskool flatland moves your bike rules...and your lid.  :daumenhoch:

ps: what the f**k has happened to meddle? has he quit RAd after that row about novice night? i miss him. yes in a gay love way.  :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 04:23 PM »
ps: what the f**k has happened to meddle? has he quit RAd after that row about novice night? i miss him. yes in a gay love way.  :daumenhoch:

Meddle was there last night.

JT71

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 04:57 PM »

Meddle was there last night.

ah that's cool. does he not post on here anymore?

Trev

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 05:09 PM »
I don't think he'll be back here anytime soon, but I'm sure he'll still turn up at Creation / Corby / Rom sessions.

Shings

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 05:32 PM »
I was told not to ride my TRM as the forks are made of jelly.

Also in fairness and rather annoyingly as I love my TRM I do preffer the new skool bikes... it just feels right.

Jake

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:14 PM »
A few reasons why I don`t ride oldschool anymore :

Mind you I did this on my new school bike too :

::)
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

subversion

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Anyway, at Creation there were only 2 oldskool bikes (mine and madmohicans sweet GT Perfomer) both of us on Skyways and a sea of about 40 new skool bikes.

Respect to you for rocking the old skool rides :daumenhoch: I consider my riding to be quite 'old skool' despite using a modern BMX :)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 06:50 PM »
bill you did kill that master lol
and the bits on it

evamedia

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 07:14 PM »
Kinda makes you realise just how many bikes and parts Hoffman must of gone through, no wonder he built his own bike.

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 10:02 PM »
ride my 'beat for flatland but set it up with stronger forks, alloy pegs and ad brakes - rides ok for me
but wouldn't want to ride it on anything else

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 10:34 PM »
A few reasons why I don`t ride oldschool anymore :

Mind you I did this on my new school bike too :

::)

good lad, proud of ya.
I want to touch ORB

Trev

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 12:26 AM »
Kinda makes you realise just how many bikes and parts Hoffman must of gone through, no wonder he built his own bike.

i believe at one point Carlo and Mat were breaking as many Skyway frames as they were selling.

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 12:34 AM »
 i think the difference betwen old and new school bikes is very much like driving a car from 25 years ago- then jumping into a new car...
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Trev

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 01:15 AM »
i think the difference betwen old and new school bikes is very much like driving a car from 25 years ago- then jumping into a new car...

i'm not so sure about that Ross.  Cars 25 years ago were pretty designed to do the same thing as cars do now.  Driving from A to B.

Ramps wise, new school bikes are definitely better. The geomentry is the cause of that.

As far as flatland is concerned, the new school flatland bikes are designed for the new era of flatland tricks.  They are tricks that are rolling, spinning & brakeless.
They are not designed for 80's tricks. It is so hard to do things like Framestands, quickspins and trackstand type tricks (where you grabbed the grip and seat with one hand).

SaMAlex

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:13 AM »
There is a lot of fashion in how NS Bikes are (there probably always was/will be) but the way I see it is

80s bikes - not strong at all, mainly cos the designs were all carried over from "normal" bikes (shafted stems, sidepull brakes, thin drop outs)

90s bikes - Strong as nails, but through over engineering, and most were very heavy.

Current bikes - Light. Strong (to a point. Some more than others), and designed for use both in strength, weight and geometry.

Sure, its great to have an OS bike and actually ride the thing but there is no way it will be as strong, or  ride as well as a NS bike. There is nothing wrong with getting a NS bike, putting 2 brakes on it and having a few inches of seatpost showing!  ::)

JT71

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Sure, its great to have an OS bike and actually ride the thing but there is no way it will be as strong, or  ride as well as a NS bike. There is nothing wrong with getting a NS bike, putting 2 brakes on it and having a few inches of seatpost showing!  ::)

:LolLolLolLol:

old school riders on new school bikes stylee.  :LolLolLolLol:

On my new ride i even did that long back brake cable, which i guess is for bar spins without a gyro...I'll never use it. fashion victim? i think so.  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 10:08 AM »

old school riders on new school bikes stylee. 

At Creation on Saturday night I put 4 pegs on my bike (for the first time in ages). If that had been a normal NS Session Id have been laughed out of the park, dragging my front and rear brakes behind me.   :police:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Does no one ride oldskool for Freestyle?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx