gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:22 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  old skool racing here i come
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: old skool racing here i come  (Read 1474 times)

eloopnai

old skool racing here i come
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:03 PM »
just got back from being over braintree track today riding for  3 hours with my boy and his mate
i had a little go before xmas but not for long as had probs with me 81 goose but all ok now and set up just right for me
back in the day i was into bmx big time although only raced a few races as my parents were not prepared to take me all the time so from 80 - 87 bmx was my life
 i never rode a bike again untill about 94 i done a couple of charity bike rides each about 40 miles no problem on a borrowed mountain bike
so now ive just got back on a bmx again and it feels great confidence is there and pedaling hell for leather from the start gate although i have a bit of a problem
when i take off over the first jump im tending not to land straight but leaning to the left hence my left foot then comes off the pedals to steady myself
i had about 6 goes at this and only managed 2 nice landings
do i just need practice or am i doing something wrong ? i know i havent ridden for years and will need a lot of practice but cant work out what im doing wrong
hope someone can give me a bit of advice as im going to start the old skool series this year

cheers  ian

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: old skool racing here i come
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 04:09 PM »
try tweaking your bars,it makes you in control of the bike not the other way round.

practice,practice, practice

and well done for getting out there an having a go

priv

MOORO

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 05:01 PM »
as above PRACTICE...try it a little slower and add speed once youve mastered it

Moschops

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Hi buddy, I think I know who you are as I was at Braintree the other day.

If you are that dude, you are not bending your knees enough as you ride into the speed jump.

As you are not at a stage yet where you can take off and land clean you need to absorb the jump into your body.
So as your bike goes over the jump you need to try and stay at the same leval, so you have to let your arms and knees bend to allow tha bike to come up into your chest almost. It's all about practice.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 08:45 PM »
That first jump at Braintree is not nice, like someone else said the best way over that is not to jump, come to Dagenham tommorow and race.

Longun

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:19 PM »
come to Dagenham tommorow and race.

Wot he said!

eloopnai

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 08:56 AM »
cheers fellas  :daumenhoch:
im gonna try get over there next weekend sometime and keep practising that
 i gota say i also was getting a bit tired after being there 3 hours  :LolLolLolLol:

hi moschops was you practising the last straight with the 2 young lads ? you all seemed to have that well sorted some nice riding there

Moschops

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:10 AM »
hi moschops was you practising the last straight with the 2 young lads ? you all seemed to have that well sorted some nice riding there

No that wasn't me I wasn't riding, maybe you are not the person I'm thinking of, I was a marshal at the race on Sunday.

Good luck with it, remember bend ze knees!

thecrooch

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 05:13 PM »
 A few of us came over yesterday scouting from south woodham ferrers  - (brown Quad and Silver Ripper plus a couple of new schoolers) ....though i think we spent most of the time on the start hill - some things just dont change....

were you on the cruiser with 40 on the front?

Must admit was the first time over at braintree for quite a while and (please dont take offence) it seems very err. busy - very hard to pick up any decent speed other than the starting straight as there are (IMHO) too many jumps....

as i said this is only my view.....  but then i havent raced for 20 years and am just getting back in to it....  maybe this is just the way..... was over at Daggers the other week and it seems a lot less cluttered and smoother....

stand back awaiting to be shot - or just gets coat....

Crooch

eloopnai

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:52 PM »
hi the crooch
nah i was on a 20" 81 mongoose got over there at 9.30am and left at 12.30 pm
and havent suffered after at all which is surprising as i havent ridden for years
i spoke to ratty on here a few months ago he said daggers is an easier track for us old folk  :LolLolLolLol: more smoother so gonna try gettin over there sometime soon
i found the track ok at braintree just wanted to go faster and practiced a few starts going faster then i have done so obviously took off just had a bit of trouble on me landings im sure i will get the hang of it

cheers for the comments fellas  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27 AM »
i need to give daggers a go - does look a lot smoother

do they have a gate practise day?

KGB Matt

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 04:19 PM »
We have an olympic coach there from 2-4 pm every Saturday. £ 2:50 Fee anyone can come as long as you have Long sleeves , Helmet and Gloves.

Come along and join in all aspects are covered and you will pick up a few tip's  .....  I guarantee it.  :daumenhoch:

Matt

eloopnai

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:23 PM »
thanks for the info  :daumenhoch:
i will try get over there this weekend

nishiki14

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Sent PM dude :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  old skool racing here i come

gfxgfx
gfx gfx