gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Half-link chain - advice please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Half-link chain - advice please  (Read 1049 times)

garethgeezer

Half-link chain - advice please
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Hi All,

Looking at fitting a half-link chain to my new school, but not sure to be honest. I mainly ride dirt and street, I've heard that half-links can go stiff if they get dirt on 'em. Others have said they are tricky to fit and break the chain tool etc etc!!
Are they worth it? I want to use one for two reasons - I want to get my wheel position adjusted precisely and they look hot (IMO).
Am I better off with a normal/boring/not-as-cool-looking chain?

Thanks people :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Half-link chain - advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:06 PM »
They can be tricky to fit yeah, and they do break chain tools  (cheap ones).... I'd be grinding the pins back before using the tool.....

I've not heard about the dirt ingress, but I would have thought that a bit of maintenance would see that problem off. If you fancy one, have one. They do seem to be significantly stronger.

The only problem I ever heard of was with the very first batch of Shadow Conspiracy ones, which were prone to breaking. They're all long since gone though I'd say.   ;)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:15 AM »
I have broke 2 exposure ones (YBN made I think) very recently, I dont do any grinds either. One went when I was setting off  :tickedoff:

And yep, they were on the correct way. I wont have another  :yahoo_silent:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Longun

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 03:42 PM »
And yep, they were on the correct way. I wont have another  :yahoo_silent:

There's a 'correct way'? Care to elaborate? (Bet mine's wrong and it was a pain to put on) 

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:03 PM »
I wouldn't book Xposure as quality stuff.....

The right way round is to have the 'closed' end facing forwards, when looking down on the chain as you sit on the bike.   :)

garethgeezer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Thanks guys, never thought a chain could be so complicated. I'll give it a go as I like the look of them. The worst that can happen is... it snaps, I go A over T and smash my teeth, then get run over as I'm lying in the road looking at my lovely chain.
Anyone care to recommend a particualr brand? The Shadow Con Interlock V2 seems to be the best of the bunch (and the most expensive)?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:27 AM »
I wouldn't book Xposure as quality stuff.....

The right way round is to have the 'closed' end facing forwards, when looking down on the chain as you sit on the bike.   :)

Spot on  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

garethgeezer

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 09:37 AM »

ooookay then... (I'm going to look stoopid here but oh well) - which bit do you consider the 'closed' end? Each link has a wider end which is visible and a narrower end which is hidden by the wide bit of the next link. Is it the wide bit of the link or the narrow bit that faces forward in the top run of the chain?

Hope this makes sense, but which of these is correct? (the letters are supposed to represent the links on the top run of the chain)

Rear  =D=D=D=D  Front

or

Rear  C=C=C=C=  Front

(told you I'd look stoopid!)

jedi

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 01:16 PM »
the round bit of the chain faces down into chain ring

Longun

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 02:08 PM »
so does this look right?

jedi

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:10 PM »
yeah

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Half-link chain - advice please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx