gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Pontins open 84 or 85
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pontins open 84 or 85  (Read 1433 times)

Adoo

Pontins open 84 or 85
« on: December 10, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Any one remember that weekend?

I remember Geth putting the trick ramp on the tabletop in the evening and doing can cans.

Tim lent my mate a race top and it smelled like a puffs handbag.

Geth

Re: Pontins open 84 or 85
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 04:40 PM »
Does anyone remember much about Pontins weekends? Too much booze!

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 05:55 PM »
At Pontins in 84 (I think) I somehow won the cruiser class (14/15's) and came 2nd in my age group.  How I don't know as I was p*ssed all weekend and rattled when I walked  ;).  All I remember is being made to stand on the stage to receive a big trophy.  Nearly puked whilst receiving my trophy.

se

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:45 AM »
Ah, Pontins. I went in '83 and it was a washout. I remember everyone used cans of hairspray and clingfilm trying to get their grips to stay on. Brilliant weekend though. The entertainment in that funny ship building was classic holiday camp stuff, like going to the country's biggest working men's club then finding hundreds of BMXers there. Most of the jumps were wood weren't they? I remember getting disqualified for trying to take out Danny Stabielli on the last turn.

jon016847

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:38 PM »
I think this was 85

Adoo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Yep that looks like 85.

I remember in the heat i got knocked out in there was just 3 of us racing for a place in the next round. Only one could go through.
I was last into the first turn and the guy in front stacked it.
i passed him and got to that little tabletop you can see in the pic, the other fella was way in front so was the one to go through.
Anyway i stopped waited for the lad and we finished the rest of the track side by side, we crossed the line holding each others arm in he air.
Afterwards loadsa folk kept patting me on the back, when i asked why they said it was the most sportsmanship thing they had seen. So i can sleep at night now knowing i waited for him LOL.
It would have made no difference if i had just carried on as we were both outta the next round.

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 06:27 PM »
Hehe...I nabbed that pic off you Jon off here some while ago as thought it was the year I was there.....think I am wrong though......I know the girl on the left in the white, she is wearing our teams colours and know that once they were introduced I wore them too....but in my photos from Pontins I am still wearing my 1st set of race gear. 
Also, the numbers on the plates are different, people in your pic have white backgrounds around the number, in mine they don't.

So, reckon I went 84 and yep, yours is 85.
apologies for the big pics, did try to resize in photobucket :(

wish I'd have had some pics from the track! 

baldbmxer

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Damn.... is that Jack the Ripper in the background? hehe

Can any one remeber Dale Goodwin of car jumping fame and fellow Cleckheaton Shootout 'barmy army' Jum going on stage and mooning at all the happy campers? The chase followed, they only caught Jum and interigated him in one of the offices in the big ship!

Sooooooo long ago...... I had hair then

jonny5

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 08:16 PM »
it was 85 when the trick ramp was infront of the table top i remember sat on the gate just watching in amazement ,who was the other guy with geth doing it aswell?.

are any of the local lads from morcambe members on here?wilkie,mackie,good bunch them guys.

Geth

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 10:19 PM »
The "other guy" with me was probably Tony Holland.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Pontins open 84 or 85

gfxgfx
gfx gfx