gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 09:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dedicated RADBMX OSS Racing website and better BMX-ReCollection Downloads
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dedicated RADBMX OSS Racing website and better BMX-ReCollection Downloads  (Read 353 times)

moley

Most of this message was posted in the BMX-ReCollection topic on the Freestyle Forum.   I am repeating it here to make sure the organisers of RADBMX see it.  I was going to stick it in the OSS section but as its NOT operational at the moment and NOT approved OSS Racing organisers,  I thought sticking it here would be a safer bet.

As you might know, I have been scanning some mags,  But due to the amount downloaded,   Filefront and other sites including the one I am on are not good enough.   20GB was downloaded in 18 days which is a lot of downloads.

This problem is nearly solved.   I bought a new domain and host.   It only cost £30 a year and offers unlimited downloads and unlimited storage.

I am uploading all the pdf's now but it will take a while.

I have always wanted to do my own website so it will give me good experience as I have never designed one.   I only started on sunday night and I have never even looked at HTML before.

I used to program in PC Assembler, 68000 for Amiga, BASIC, COBOL, PASCAL and a little bit of C & C++ so it can't be too hard.

The site has only just propagated through the web.  So its only just come on line but some people might still have trouble for the next day or so.

And I have stuck a test webpage on it to see if its working.

It might take a while before anyone can download from it.   But when its finished it will never have any download problems.

I can also add other websites to it as well.    Buy a domain name and I'll host it.

So if anyone wants a host with Unlimited storage and Unlimited Downloads then I should be able to accommodate you.   I can also store videos etc, etc.

If you want to have a look at the new site then look here.
http://www.bmx-recollection.com

It is no where near finished.   It is also very white.  I just knocked it up quickly to make sure MS Frontpage was working and the website was working.   It took a couple of days before it was fully up and running, so I have only just been able to get it up.

Once all my pdf's have been uploaded to the new site.   I will have a go at trying to download stuff.   I don't know how yet as I haven't got that far.  I have just downloaded a few HTML books and I will read them to try and figure out what the hell I'm doing.   Once downloading can be accomplished I will tart up my website and make look more appealing and less like a blank piece of paper.

If anyone out there likes Computer art or has any good BMX logos etc, etc then LMK.

Hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep and I can get my new download site fully operational within a couple of weeks

I also wanted to try the facilty to host other websites at my domain so I also bought the domain www.ossbmxracing.co.uk for £6 for 2 years from daily.co.uk on Monday night.

I changed the nameservers to my domain and have hosted this site to see that this facility works.  It only just came on line today so I knocked up a quick webpage to see if it worked.   I thought a good OSS racing results webpage was a good idea and might help promote Old School Racing.   If you get dads involved you might get the youngsters involved and that can only be good for BMX.     

I hope nobody at RADBMX minds this.  I dont want to stick my nose somewhere where its not wanted.  I'm a bit eager at the moment because I'm enjoying myself.  I feel like a kid again.   Please, don't think I'm trying to out-muscle RADBMX or trying to steal members or sh't like that.  Far from it.   This forum is great but I have noticed that forums are not ideal in the way they display information.   i.e. Threads are good for forums but not necessarliy for displaying results, etc, etc.   It is fine if people who know where to look but any newbies might find it hard.   The other plus side is that another website might influence the search engines and also might get a few more people interested in BMX.   With the olympics coming up, I think a good push might see it back up there with the 80's in terms of popularity (we can only hope).    I was thinking that a dedicated website for Old School Racing linked into the OSS Forum with all the results from the start and continuing on from now.   A list of BMX Tracks and Details.    The Official Rules etc, etc.

Also, If any BMX Clubs haven't got there own website, I would be willing to stick theres on my domain for FREE.  I wouldn't be able to design it though.  I think I will have enough with my own website for at least a while anyway.

The webpage for the OSS Racing is functional but bland.   The 'FAKE' Results pages are just to give an idea of what they could look like using an excel spreadsheet saved off as HTML.   

I am quite good at MS Excel and Access so I don't mind doing the results if someone PMed them to me.  All I would need is the results of each race.  Anyway you can view it here and give some feedback.

http://www.ossbmxracing.co.uk

I would easily be able to design a  spreadsheet or database which will automatically update the results.   Its just a case of saving as HTML and uploading to the website and also designing the website which shows them.

If the powers that be think I have overstepped a boundary or two and they want to slap me down, then fair do's.   I'm not trying to make enemies here, I'm just trying to add to the RADBMX experience and try and promote BMX. 

I will be taking part in the OSS Racing, so I will need a good results page to display my name when I finish in a higher place than dibly!  Just Kidding Dibly!!

Anyway thats it

I will now wait for the criticism to roll in and my head to roll.

Thanks

P.S

http://BMX-ReCollection.4shared.com will be downloadable again from the 1st March 2008.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 07:55 PM by moley »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dedicated RADBMX OSS Racing website and better BMX-ReCollection Downloads

gfxgfx
gfx gfx