gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  learning the basics
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: learning the basics  (Read 669 times)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
learning the basics
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:04 PM »
i took syk3s to a skatepark for the first time today, he'd never ridden a ramp in his life and is coming to creation on saturday so i thought a little schooling was in order. already now he can drop in a 5ft mini ramp, carve it with a little hop so is on the way to airs and can also pop out the ramp!

awesome going dude!

i shall be available for lessons at creation on saturday evening!

Trev

Re: learning the basics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Well done syk3s and nice one Phil.  :daumenhoch:

This is what riding is all about.

perry

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57 PM »
in 13 years ive never dropped in/popped out of a ramp  :-[

i can carve though but fear hanging up on the coping

any tips

Trev

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:04 PM »

any tips

get yourself booked up for one of our meets. over the last few months I reckon there's been at least 10 people who've never ridden into a ramp before that have all done it now.

perry

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:17 PM »
i was considering creation on sat but realised thats my last night of work so i cant really skive

plus the following weekend will be a trip to cornwall to see my nan in hospital  :'( so the girlfriend wouldnt be too pleased spending all our time driving around the country lol

im guessing the skatepark has a brake policy ( im brakeless ) and i lack a helmet

i might pop along to the next if i can get some stuff sorted  :)

moley

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:59 PM »
I've never ridden a ramp before either.   

I would really like to have a go. 

BITD.   Nobody I knew had.  One kid had a quarterpipe but it was so dodgy nobody dared go off the top. 

It was all jumps, natural, made out any old piece of wood and the odd dodgy trick ramp made out of a door.  And once in a while maybe a trip to Barton Aerodrome which used to take age.  As a young'un it was all a big adventure, but knackering on a single-speeder, it seemed to take forever.  By time we got there we only had a hour because we had to get back.

If I had the benefit of DVD's and some of these BASICS and learn to videos it would have made life a lot easier.

Hopefully, I'm not too old to get some air.   My balance and all round basic skills suck at the moment.

Too dark when I get home from work and nobody to ride with.  It doesn't exactly inspire me to practice.

Count me in if your doing a tutored learner meet.

Trev

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:04 PM »
We've had in the past some novice only sessions with people like TwoBobRob giving guidance to us novices. The progression on these nights have been superb.
Keep a look out for the next one or even sign up to the one this weekend. There will be quite a few novices there and plenty of more experienced riders who are more than happy to give you some tips.

Shings

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 08:10 PM »

any tips

get yourself booked up for one of our meets. over the last few months I reckon there's been at least 10 people who've never ridden into a ramp before that have all done it now.

I'll second that..

Last September I hadn't even seen a real ramp up close let alone ridden in the last 10 years..

Thanks to a lot of encouragement and coaching at these nights I can drop in and out and stuff LOL.

CBCL...
Coaching for "AIR" will be required on Saturday LOL

perry

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:25 PM »
i ever had access to ramps as a kid , we would spend our time doing trails during the day and take to the streets in the evening  :smitten:

we were lucky enough to have a burnt down holiday park in town so we had materials in abundance , a few tennis courts and even a hall would get filled with bodged ramps and whaty not from all the scrap lying around , every couple of days though they would get trashed by yobbos  :tickedoff:

it was even home to our biggest set of trails for a few years  8) where i put my back out  :'( sadly its now houses  :'( :'( i dont even hae any pics , there was a video but i dont have it lol

JT71

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:32 PM »
CBCL I'm going to be needing to hook up for basics training in Cov if you are free. Now that we are on the same errr.... "Team"  :LolLolLolLol:
(I'll explain more another day, but suffice to say I have a package on it's way from Manchester)

Manuals and Endos and some street riding would be great.

And if there's two of us we might be less likely to get mugged for our bikes.  :daumenhoch:

SYK3S

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Its all about bottle guys :P i was flapping it for like 15 mins before actualy taking a deep breath rolling up to the side with a bit of speed and turning in. my god you feel like a turd afterwards and slightly disapointed that that was it . but yeah thanks phil for bigging me up :D creation here i come.

it helps learning from the best aswell  ;) :4_17_5:.

Shings

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 06:32 PM »
CBCL I'm going to be needing to hook up for basics training in Cov if you are free. Now that we are on the same errr.... "Team"  :LolLolLolLol:
(I'll explain more another day, but suffice to say I have a package on it's way from Manchester)

Manuals and Endos and some street riding would be great.

And if there's two of us we might be less likely to get mugged for our bikes.  :daumenhoch:

I'd better get a flippin invite.. as I am literally up the road too..... street riding rocks.. its just the punctures!!!

Trev

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 06:34 PM »
its just the punctures!!!

never one to miss an opportunity....

i can do you good deals on spare Cheng Shin inner tubes.  :daumenhoch:

Shings

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 06:56 PM »
its just the punctures!!!

never one to miss an opportunity....

i can do you good deals on spare Cheng Shin inner tubes.  :daumenhoch:

PMSL shocking.... I should have bloody asked-

I just got 10 Kenda ones of flea bay for £18 quid.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  learning the basics

gfxgfx
gfx gfx