gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 02:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chain sizes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: chain sizes  (Read 525 times)

JT71

chain sizes
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:10 AM »
hi

can someone tell me what chain sizes are for old/new school?

I think that all old school stuff runs 1/2" x 1/8" chains is this right?

and what sizes for new school?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: chain sizes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Yeah, that'll do.  The pitch is always the same I believe at 1/2", but the width can be either 1/8" or 3/16".

Traditionally modern bikes all ran 3/16" but I'm hearing there can be some clearance issues on new bikes depending on what kit and gearing your running and 1/8" is sometimes needed....  :)

JT71

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:23 AM »
cheers dude.

just wondered. so 3/16" is a newschool chain but that might be too wide, because it could foul the brake or frame depending
on the set-up?

but 1/2" is the length of the link.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Yip.  The pitch of something is the distance between the peaks or tips of teeth. So the pitch actually refers to your sprockets and the chains are made to suit.  So yeah, the length of each link, if you like.

Expect an engineering type to come along now and put our caps back on straight for us   ;D ;D ;D

I don't know myself what the problems are with clearances and stuff as I've no experience of it, but I'd hazard a guess that if your using fairly ordinary gearing on a recognised brand name bike setup, then it's very likely gonna work just fine.

I'm running 36/13 on a Macneil Freimuth with a good old fashioned KMC Kool chain (3/16"). It gives me no problems whatsoever.   :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  chain sizes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx