gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 04:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Pad/Protection Recommendations needed. A Cautionary Tale!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pad/Protection Recommendations needed. A Cautionary Tale!!!!  (Read 1305 times)

moley

Pad/Protection Recommendations needed. A Cautionary Tale!!!!
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:25 AM »
Has anyone got any Pads/Protection they can recommend?

I have purchased some Troy Lee  Designs Elbow pads plus I also have some OS Oakley Arm Pads (For posing not for falling)

I think I will need some Shin protection and Knee Protection.

I have had a look at the Veggie Wraps but are they any good?

Veggies are soft, would hard be better?    Is Hard better than Soft (No jokes Please)?

I'm getting on in years and I broke my collarbone around 10 years ago.  I think padding (except tummy) is the way to go.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:03 PM by moley »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Pad/Protection Recommendations needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:51 AM »
It has a lot to do with how you're going to slam/bail....  If you're a tuck and roll sort of fella and you would rather wear your pads under jeans, then soft pads are your friends.  People speak highly of the 661 stuff.  Shadow Conspiracy Industrial kneepads are nice too.

If you're more of a skater style kneeslide type  (like me) then you need hardcup pads and you need to wear them outside of your jeans.  ProDesign, Fox, 991,TSG and Rector (to name a few) all make a good hardcup kneepad.

My advice is to buy em big and wear the fooking things.  At least until you're properly back in the swing of things then you might want to have a change maybe. Try not to let fashion affect your decisions too much either   ;)

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:02 AM »
i tend to play on the race tracks not parks or ramps
& have 661 2x4 (arms) and 4x4 (legs) as well as some brand X body armour as well ;)
cos i don't bounce like i used to  :(

chain reaction have huge range
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Default.aspx

but as rob says wear them
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

moley

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:33 AM »
I reckon I'm more of a Oh Shit, Splat! rather than a Tuck/Roll or Kneeslide type a fella.

I didn't seem to bounce so much when  broke my collarbone either!!

Some good advice, Thanks

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:42 AM »
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=221

all you can shake a stick at

i wear kyle strait knee pads,really good padding all around the knee
priv

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I reckon I'm more of a Oh Shit, Splat! rather than a Tuck/Roll or Kneeslide type a fella.

I didn't seem to bounce so much when  broke my collarbone either!!

Some good advice, Thanks

Don't worry, you'll learn!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

You need to decide though mate, you can't keep going down with the ship - that's just a world of pain we can all do without   ;)

There's a skill and technique to slamming/bailing. Takes a while to learn your style.  You'll get it though as long as you're not too scared to hit the eject button every once in a while   :)

perry

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 11:57 AM »
dont know if they still make them but a couple of years ago i had some federal knee pads and they were superb

ive never liked pads but those were soooo comfy and after half hour you would forget ou were wearing them

perfect for the inevitable knee meeting the stem but you didnt have any restriction of movement  :4_17_5:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 12:07 PM »
Oh yeah, Federal Knee Gaskets.  Direct ripoff of the Smiths Scabs underpad.  I wear them snowboarding (the Smiths ones), but they're not quite burly enough for my tastes when slamming on concrete.

Very comfortable for sure, and they do a good job of keeping the kneejoint warm.  Since having knee surgery and learning a bit more about knees in general, I now know that a gasket style thing will also help with the control of swelling and minor traumas by constantly exerting pressure all over the joint   :daumenhoch:

In fact, I'm wearing one right now   ;)

perry

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 12:12 PM »
cool

any nfo on the smiths ?

where to get them and price  :)

ive never been a burly rider so if i fall its because of a tech trick not gone quite right lol

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Check out the Shadow Slim knee guards.  I think that's what they're called.   They're black, and the Industrial versions are a beige/khaki sort of colour.  The slim ones are just a bit better than the gaskets, go under your jeans and you can't really see them at all.

If you're dead set on gaskets, then I think the Smiths ones come from Shiner, so get hold of se-bmxer. He works there I think...  :)

andy619

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 02:21 PM »

[/quote]

Don't worry, you'll learn!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

You need to decide though mate, you can't keep going down with the ship - that's just a world of pain we can all do without   ;)

There's a skill and technique to slamming/bailing. Takes a while to learn your style.  You'll get it though as long as you're not too scared to hit the eject button every once in a while   :)
[/quote]

So true.  The eject button is your friend, just get away from the bike.

moley

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I think I need some pads, A.S.A.P.

I have just received my new NS bike.   A Coyote Schizoid.   The box was upside down and was damaged.   Everything was there and undamaged apart from the chainguard was smashed to pieces and the Seatclamp bolt+nut was missing.  Dibly's going to send me one.

Anyway, I built it up and took it for a spin.

I've already fallen off it.  I was doing some bunny hops around the car park with no seat post and seat on.

I had a crowd of 5 people watching including my boss and a woman.   I managed to clear around 6" off the ground.   Which is quite impressive because I haven't bunny hopped since I was 15/16 (about 20-21 years ago).

A few hops later and I fell off to one side and grazed my hand.  Some more hops and then I overcooked one and rotated backwards off the bike.   My brain froze and I couldn't get my feet off the pedals.  Oh crap, I thought!!!!

.....As my life flashed before my eyes.  It seemed like an eternity.  The good times, the bad times, regrets, triumphs over adversary, the warm touch of a naked woman or two, Hmmm.  I decide I wanted  to live!  I wasn't done with this world yet. I remembered my Bruce Lee video training, be one with the nature, treat the floor as your friend and embrace it.....I just tucked my chin into my chest and prepared for impact, narrowly avoiding smashing the back of my skull into the hard gravelly surface.   

Silence.......For at least 5 seconds but it seemed like an age.

I quickly arose,  like a tiger springing to kill his prey.   

I said "I think that's enough for today".

The crowd stood back with amazement, their eyes widened by this great spectacle.   There minds whirring with wonder.    "He isn't dead,  No grey matter squashed in the ground" they thought.

Suddenly a round of applause broke the deafening silence. And was quickly followed by laughter.   Not a guffaw or a chuckle,  But a full on, pant wetting laughter that no-one can hold in.   

After 5 minutes, everyone said they were quite amazed that I didn't crack my skull in two.  In fact my head never even touched the ground.  They even stated that when I impacted the ground a small dust cloud eminated from my position like a nuclear explosion would devastate a city, but on a much smaller scale.

One bloke had a video cam off his motorbike, but all he managed to capture was one foot going skyward as I fell.   He didn't even get one of my 6" Bunny hops on film for all the BMX Community to admire.

10 minutes later. They are still laughing.

One lass would chuckle at least every ten minutes and did so for at least 4 hours until home time.  Sometimes she would disappear to the toilets.  Perhaps to avoid an embarrassing incident with her underwear.  I don't know,  whenever I tried to talk to her, she couldn't keep a straight face and you could see her face straining to retain the laughter.

I'm more embarrassed than hurt.   I have a few twinges here and there.  A few achy muscles in my arms which I haven't used for a long time.

But I'm a born again BMX'er.   Were made of hardy stuff,  were tarmac warriors roaming the streets and parks of our fair land.  Teachers of Wonder and Awe to the young and old and those people in-between.   I shall continue with my fight.  Boredom and apathy will rule no more.  I shall beat it down and bring lightness to this dark dreary world.   For I have taken the first fall and I have arose a............BMXer.

Thank you.

P.S.  Bulls*ite is my second language.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:14 AM by moley »

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Bailing safely is as much of an art as getting up in the air in the first place!

You might still hurt yourself and jar a few muscles or joints, at least you do at our age, but overall it's a technique everyone should learn otherwise get ready for some PAIN!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Pad/Protection Recommendations needed. A Cautionary Tale!!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Lawyer or Politician???????????

Only joking, do have some cheap Bicycle union knee pads for sale if interested, size large

Gary

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 08:24 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You sir, are a master orator   :daumenhoch:

What for the whiplash to kick in......  ;)

Offline egg

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 08:31 PM »

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 08:34 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

what are you like  :)

ibuprofen is the answer   :daumenhoch:

oh and pads lots of pads

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

moley

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 12:26 AM »
I have just returned.  Worse for wear maybe.  Drunk definitely!

I 've just been out on the bevvy's.   Thursday night snooker league.  2 Divisions in our league.

Were bottom of the 2nd division and playing the TOP of the 1st division in the Knock Out Cup.

I am weary and battle fatigued after a long day fighting the good fight against BMX mediocrity.

But alcoholically refreshed  I was prepared to fight the good fight.

We stuffed those motherhubbards 3/1. We are now into the Semi-Finals. 

Sound those trumpets, one and all. 

The day of the BMXer has arrived!!!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 12:39 AM »
I have just returned.  Worse for wear maybe.  Drunk definitely!

I 've just been out on the bevvy's.   Thursday night snooker league.  2 Divisions in our league.

Were bottom of the 2nd division and playing the TOP of the 1st division in the Knock Out Cup.

I am weary and battle fatigued after a long day fighting the good fight against BMX mediocrity.

But alcoholically refreshed  I was prepared to fight the good fight.

We stuffed those motherhubbards 3/1. We are now into the Semi-Finals. 

Sound those trumpets, one and all. 

The day of the BMXer has arrived!!!

But did you wear any pads?  :LolLolLolLol:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Jesus Moley, i wish i was this joyful are my crunch.

Fair play mate, keep at it. :coolsmiley:
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

moley

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Well I just about made work today.

Ohh my head.   I'll never drink again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Day after my fall.   I'm a bit stiff and I've aches and pains too, but not too bad.

I was in a very good mood after our win last night.   

I wish I was in bed, right now.

Time for paracetamol and plenty of water!

moley

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 02:55 PM »
2 days after the fall and still in pain.   

I think most of it is muscle pain due to muscle growth.     30 Bunny hops in a 15 minute period after a 20 year gap with hardly any exercise In-between.

Plus I was really going for it.  Playing up to a crowd is probably not one of my brightest ideas but it had to be done.

I now have a 2 funky looking muscles on my forearm and the muscles on the back of my legs near the knee hurt.

My forearms look so pumped, I look like one of those guys out of "Over The Top".

I need a Full Helmet and some race gear.

I need a bike to race OS too.

I don't need much do I.

Do racing pants come with ass and hip protection. 

I'm going to start a new thread off on the subject of an OS Race Bike.    I need some suggestions as to what to get.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Pad/Protection Recommendations needed. A Cautionary Tale!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx