gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome restoration DIY tips?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrome restoration DIY tips?  (Read 1827 times)

davevilla

Chrome restoration DIY tips?
« on: February 12, 2008, 01:31 PM »
Afternoon folks

Maybe a naive question, but are there any measures I can take to restore a chrome finish on a frame myself? I have a really quite decent frame that I am going to build up - however on the rear stays there are some blisters of chrome and some black  significant marks around the bottom bracket.

I don't plan to get it rechromed as it isn't terrible so if there any suggestions of alternatives out there I am all ears.

Cheers  :)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Chrome restoration DIY tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:37 PM »
not tried it myself but someone posted up a thread a few weeks back about using Coka cola and rubbing it with tin foil?

i've used Autosol before which is good as well  :daumenhoch:

davevilla

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Nice one - I've just checked the coke thing out I'm giving that one a go when I get chance- got to be worth spending 50p on a can.

Thanks for the tip off  :daumenhoch:

lcfc

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23 PM »

Oxalic Acid bath is the only thing that will remove SURFACE rust, and get a new shine at the same time. But you mention bubbling and black, so i am guessing that the rust has gone down to the steel under the chrome in which case its fooked and nothing but a strip down and re chrome will do the job. If you use the coke method all you will end up doing is bursting the bubbles and more flaky chrome will begin to show.

Have a nice day.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I used WD40 and tin foil on a Kuwahara frame and forks. Sprayed it liberally with WD40 left it overnight and rubbed it down with tinfoil. Worked a treat but does scratch the chrome, i wasn't bothered as I was getting it powdered afterwards.

Peek seems to be highly recommended on here for cleaning up chrome. Autosol takes ages and also scratches the chrome as it is abrasive.
Haven't tried Peek myself, but never been able to find it in the shops.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome restoration DIY tips?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx