gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 06:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  100+ PSI with Skyway Tuff II's. Any Problems?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 100+ PSI with Skyway Tuff II's. Any Problems?  (Read 2382 times)

moley

100+ PSI with Skyway Tuff II's. Any Problems?
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Just bought some Skyway Tuff II's with a coaster and bought an ACS Freecoaster as well.

Trouble is I'm 13 Stone and decided to go High Pressure to stop the rim dragging on the floor.

I bought some Gusset Pimp tyres (All white) and some strong Inner tubes. 

Will the skyways handle 100+ psi?

I read some stuff about graphites being able to handle higher pressure.  What about normal tuff's?

Not built up the wheels yet or fitted the ACS Freecoaster.   Waiting for my Haro Kneesavers, then all my components are together to finish the build.

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: 100+ PSI with Skyway Tuff II's. Any Problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 01:41 PM »
I doubt it.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 01:58 PM »
nope. no problems! that 100 psi will not have much of a problem blowing up a tuff at all! :LolLolLolLol:

moley

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 02:19 PM »
So that a no then.   I shouldn't run 100+ psi on my tuff II's.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 02:24 PM »
i personally wouldn't advise it. might be alright until you ride it then you've got extra forces goin on and that pressure has to go somewhere! i've seen 100psi blow up more of a rim than what a tuff could take

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 02:29 PM »
im 16 stone, and cant see much point in going beyond 60psi, unless you smashing up kerbs. ps my waist is 36in so not all sumo...sam
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 02:45 PM »
I think Skyways are good for about 60psi; remember seeing a pic of someone putting about 90psi in on here once and you could see the rim bulging between the spokes  :shocked:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

madall

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Im 16st and run mine at 55psi and no problems,biggest problems are keeping the tyre even all the way round whils building up the pressure

moley

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I'll keep the pressure down then.  55-60psi Max.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 03:48 PM »
13 stone's not particularly heavy mate, why would you want to run 100psi?

60psi would be more than adequate, I've got some tuffs on my 84 Sport and I run them at around 50psi and I don't have any problems, that's with some old school tyres that are only supposed to take 40psi too.

100psi is a lot of pressure and would only really be needed if you were doing 20ft airs and 15ft flairs and I reckon it's unlikely you'll be doing that with tuffs on.

Just my thoughts.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 04:03 PM »
i run 60 psi in my tuffs :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 04:11 PM »
Just thinking ahead mate!     I just read in an article that freestylers run with High Pressure these days,  thought they might know something I don't.

At least I know now that sticking 100psi into a tuff is a big no no.  I'm glad I asked now!

In early December I stuck about 50psi in my other coasterless tuff II's and they looked a bit squidgy. They also didn't feel too healthy when I tried a couple of back hops.   I'll check my pump and make sure it is putting the correct pressure in, it could be under-inflated but I doubt it.   I'll use 55-60psi and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the advice.

Trev

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 04:16 PM »
a lot of people have said you couldn't have that much pressure in tuffs and the tyre wouldn't stay on at that pressure. but bitd i used to ride with Haro tyres at 80 psi with no problems. i then moved onto Peregrines and ACS and rode with 100psi.  Never had any problems with that either. Maybe I just got lucky.  I used to have them that high as they were better for lots of spinning tricks.  Tricks like McCircles needed a lot of pressure.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 05:58 PM »
my comp st's blew of my tuffs at 60 psi
but i am 18 odd stone lol

nouseforaname

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 06:10 PM »
The tyre will blow off the wheel while you're pumping it up if you go to that kind of pressure - always has done with me anyway!!!

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 08:55 PM »
My mate Smith rode street for 12 months with 14mm axle conversion skyways with pegs, he ran em at 110 psi for the duration
The wheels are still alive today on an O/S race bike.

:daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 08:58 PM »
100psi only if you want an immidiate conversion from 20x1.175 to 20x2.125 :idiot2:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 09:18 PM »

With the right ingredients, i.E tyres and tubes, it aint a problem, with the wrong ingredients-shit pie

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 09:28 PM »
We might be missing the point here...

Even with 100psi in the tyres, the wheel itself is still going to flex and deflect a whole lot.  Moley, you might as well run about 60psi  (around the safest for any tyre type on a Tuff) and enjoy the smooth ride.  If it's all too flexy and wobbly for you, you'd be way better off buying yourself a set of spokes and pumping the tyres up in confidence   ;)

moley

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Thanks lads,  I think we've covered this topic now.

I see another topic has opened about New School + Mags.   I hope I didn't influence it!!!!

I'll run 55-60 psi on my tuffs

But what about Graphite Tuffs?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Graphites are way better.  80psi+ no problems.  Still not as solid as a spoked wheel though; there really is no substitute....

Depends what you want to do I suppose.  :)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 11:33 PM »
At the size and weight most of us are now, and I'm not saying fat, it's just that I was about 9st when I rode Tuffs and rode properly and your body mass will increase naturally as you get older. Bitd I had some Tuffs and some Peregrine Mags but I noticed a massive difference when I changed to Peregrine HP 48's, just rode much much better.

So now for me it's Tuffs for cruising and spokes for bruising!

The other thing with Tuffs as well is the brakes, never in my life have I been able to get them to work as well as they do on normal rims. Even with the Kool Stop freestyle pads for Tuffs.

Can't comment on Graphites though as I've never had any mate.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Shings

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44 PM »
At the size and weight most of us are now, and I'm not saying fat, it's just that I was about 9st when I rode Tuffs and rode properly and your body mass will increase naturally as you get older. Bitd I had some Tuffs and some Peregrine Mags but I noticed a massive difference when I changed to Peregrine HP 48's, just rode much much better.

So now for me it's Tuffs for cruising and spokes for bruising!

The other thing with Tuffs as well is the brakes, never in my life have I been able to get them to work as well as they do on normal rims. Even with the Kool Stop freestyle pads for Tuffs.

Can't comment on Graphites though as I've never had any mate.

Tuffs for Show... Spokes for a pro.

:LolLolLolLol:

moley

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 11:06 PM »
I guess Shings has spoked a few Pros in his time!!!!

Shings

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 11:11 PM »
PMSL

Not quite 100% sure what you mean but currently I am a pro at falling off... and since sunday morning it seems I am a pro at getting punctures too

:rant:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  100+ PSI with Skyway Tuff II's. Any Problems?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx