gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 04:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  International shipping from the US
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: International shipping from the US  (Read 385 times)

bridgecity

International shipping from the US
« on: February 08, 2008, 04:49 PM »
It seems the subject of International shipping comes up frequently on the US sites and there is much confusion surrounding it.
Here is how it works. Note that this is simple, fast and hassle free for the shipper.

Maybe this will make it easier for you guys to get stuff sent over the pond. good luck.

I'm using USPS.com as an example, I don't work for them.  ;)

According to my mail carrier, the US Postal service has realized they have to compete in a global market if they wish to survive.
So they are going out of their way to make USPS.com user-friendly and easy. 
It is constantly evolving so what you may take as fact yesterday or last week, may not be true tomorrow.

Step 1:
Any country you can imagine is available.
NOTE: enter the email address of the recipient and click the box for sending notification so they get confirmation of the shipment.

Step 2: enter your package size/weight, as prompted.  Be cautious of package size since this can nearly double
the cost of shipping if you exceed the DIM standards listed below. When sending framesets/complete bikes make the package as compact
and small as possible.

Step3: Select your shipping costs

Step4: Customs declaration. This sounds scary but it is very quick and painless. Just be honest and precise.

You will be prompted to print the shipping label and customs pages which will add to 3 printouts.
These will be used in the "international customs envelope" provided by your mail carrier, if you don't have any on hand.

Step 5: Schedule the pickup which can happen directly from your home.
If you don't have the customs envelope, add a note here that you will need one. Your mail carrier will put your printouts in the envelope for you.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:
-->Use common sense and keep good communication between the shipper and buyer.

Some countries like the UK have "duty taxes" that the buyer will have to pay before they can pickup their package.   For example, a $650 item to the UK will have a $180 duty that the buyer is required to pay.

All international items have to go through customs, so this means delays. sometimes very long delays.
My experience is that packages take 2-3 weeks to arrive.  The buyer needs to fully accept this fact before doing business with the US.

If the buyer or seller seems like they are going to be hard to work with, then you can safely expect problems.  avoid the transaction. bike stuff isn't that rare, yet, don't be compulsive.  :)
If you need boxes, envelopes, customs forms brought directly to your house for free, they will accomodate.

woody allen bars

Re: International shipping from the US
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:40 PM »
Thanks for that; anything that helps the guys in the US to send us their nicest old school gems is much appreciated  ;)

Hope you've posted this on the US-based sites too?

Craig

bridgecity

Re: International shipping from the US
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:07 PM »
ha ha, i think you guys have just as many gems.

i posted it on the sites i frequent but feel free to share this as needed.

I get tired of some of the fellow US guys that overcharge for international as if it is some horribly offensive and time consuming project.  as you can see above, it isn't.

cheers!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  International shipping from the US

gfxgfx
gfx gfx