gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  advice on import duties from the US
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: advice on import duties from the US  (Read 1032 times)

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
advice on import duties from the US
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much I'd be charged on import duties, taxes, etc on a frame purchase coming into the UK from USA taking the following into account:

Frame cost: $250
Shipping: $60

thanks in advance for any info.

Brian  :daumenhoch:

1 fat pug

Re: advice on import duties from the US
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:31 PM »
i got a set of bars and didnt get any import, they wasnt that expencive tho and my mate got a set of skyways and i think he got about £16

80sdave

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Based on previous purchases between £50 and £80 quid if it's with royal mail ups on the other hand seem to be cheaper. My mate just had a $500 used frame delivered and it cost him just on a ton i had a frame from oz value $300 aussie dollars and paid nothing.
I think it depends on the sender and if they mark it as used or new , gift etc and i do beleave if its sent with a value under $40 you pay nowt but if it goes missing your buggered.

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:01 PM »
I,ve just had a profile frame delivered today from the US ,
I asked the guy to put the value down at $50 even though i paid $120
And to put down used childrens bike frame ,gift ,
And it got here no extra shit to pay  :daumenhoch:

Could have kissed the postman  :-*   

If the value is over a certain amount they charge you vat 17 1/2 % i think
And the post office will add a hadeling charge on top of that  :wtf:

Gaz..  ;)

woody allen bars

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Sorry for the thread hi-jack but I guess you've finally found your DBI frame then Brian?

Anyway, back on topic.............

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:51 PM »
I recently took deliveries of two looptail pk ripper frames, two  quadangles, two pairs of  answer pro forx, two pairs of landing gear forks, all seperate deliveires, asked all the senders to mark the customs form as second hand childs bike part and not worth more than $50 - they ALL arrived with NO import tax straight to my door.You do run a risk of them being lost and then not being insured for the full amount,but sod it its always worth a gamble and for me it paid off!
Also, I had a Race Inc early looptail frame and forks sent, the guy insured it and marked it as $700 worth, and I got an import duty etc of £97 - so not too bad I suppose!

moley

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:40 PM »
I have never had to pay import duty when items come through USPS.   I have not bought any frames though but did buy some skyways with coaster and loads of other stuff. 

On the other hand I always get charged when they ship with UPS.   From the US,  Hong Kong and elsewhere.  UPS suck.

Stick with United States Parcel Service and you should be okay most of the time.   

Anything with a value over £18 could be taxed and I think that also includes postage costs too.   So by rights everything could be taxed.    I asked a postie once about this and he said (and he could be lying) that they randomly check goods for duty, so most could slip through. 

Check out the rules here

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_001454&propertyType=document

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:44 PM by moley »

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Sorry for the thread hi-jack but I guess you've finally found your DBI frame then Brian?

Anyway, back on topic.............

Unfortunately not, Craig mate, still looking out for that one. This was another purchase I was toying with, lol.

Still trying to decide whether to go for this one tho, really seems quite inconsistent with the fees charged and is making it hard to budget, and I can't decide if I want it bad enough to say "fkit" yet and just go for it, lol.

Thanks for all ur replies guys.  :daumenhoch:

brian.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Brian,  in my experience this whole thing is a lottery mate. I have had frames sent that cost $300 marked as a used childs bike (gift) and been charged import. I have had wheels sent that cost £250 not listed as anything to try to bypass the import duties and been charged nothing.

Had all sorts of stuff sent and can never tell if I am gonna be charged or not. Still have worked out what the rules are.  :-\

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:40 PM »
i was charged £30 for 2 pairs of tuffs about 3 years ago, i buy nearly all my stuff from the states (frames, wheels, stems, bars, etc) and havnt been charged since for any of it, luck of the draw

gossa

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Officially it should be your purchase price, plus shipping, plus 4.8% import duty (correct duty for bicycle parts) plus 17.5% VAT.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  advice on import duties from the US

gfxgfx
gfx gfx