gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 01:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Horror Story
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Horror Story  (Read 570 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Horror Story
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Guys, just taken my Torker replica frame into this place in Epping just around the corner from me and they build wrought iron gates and do general welding stuff and I needed some bits sorted before its powdered. Once I dropped that off and went back home to get my Haro Gen 1 as it has a few areas on it that needs plugging i.e. dents that need filling etc.. before I get it rechromed later this month. Anyway when I returned I was chatting to the younger guy of the two about bikes (his my age 34) and he said they once had a client in Scotland in the 90's that had probably 300-400 bmx frames... all for scrap!  :-[

This guy in Scotland apprantly used to take them, cut them up and convert some of them into strange bikes for foreign countries as well as sleigh rides for Huskies in Iceland!  :shocked: Anyway I said "did you see any makes i'd know of" and then this guy started reeling out names that made me feel pretty sick in the stomach. Haro's, Mongoose's, GT's, Raleigh's, Falcon's, Ammaco's etc... and what made matters worse, when he see the Gen 1 he goes "I think I see the odd one of them there actually as the stickers look familar"  :'( Turns out this guy in the welding place in Epping used to ride a little bit BITD and knew about his bikes a little. He did say that there was a few Haros of all sorts (white ones he said) but mainly Mongoose's there. He remembers (and the other guy did also) a huge bundle of Mongoose BMX frames and forks. I asked how many they thought were there just of Gooses and they reckoned about 200 if not more. I asked him if these bikes were 80's or 90's bikes and he said they were mixed, some unrepairable and all sorts of colours etc.. he also said that this guy had some racers, mountain bikes and little kids bikes there also all for scrap and parts to be converted, but said that BMX's were the ideal size for this Huskie thing so they used to get used more  :'( :-\

Anyway he was chuffed to have seen the Gen 1. They certainly know what they are doing so I'm confident they will look after it and repair the small areas well. Before I left, I did ask if that guy is still cutting up stuff in Scotland (as I was thinking he might have a stash somewhere) but he said that in early 2000 he sold out and is now living abroad. Bugger!  >:( :)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:36 PM by Swivel »

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: Horror Story
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:22 PM »
Oh well at least the stuff was getting used and not ending up in landfill

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 04:29 PM »
yeah, when someone says raleigh to me i wanna blow chunks too :daumenhoch:

dan-dare

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Have I met your mate Chunks, Daz? :shocked:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:26 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: i knew the moment i posted it would get picked up on, suprised it took so long :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 06:48 PM »

Do you know how do they fix dents in frames? Do they use something that chrome will stick to ? 

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:57 PM »
They will grind back the chrome to bare metal then add a blob of weld then smooth off. Chrome is very bare in those places anyway so should be simple for them to do.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Horror Story

gfxgfx
gfx gfx