gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seat - Dodgy Plastic or it's meant to be like it?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seat - Dodgy Plastic or it's meant to be like it?  (Read 1783 times)

Paulo

Seat - Dodgy Plastic or it's meant to be like it?
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:32 PM »

I thought my search for a grey aero seat had come to an end when I won this off the US bay not realising it's got this weird marbling effect on it.

It's all over the seat, and it's not just a surface pattern, it's imbedded.

The seller tells me that it's meant to be like that...I'm not so sure.

Does anybody know if it should be like this, or is it duff?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Seat - Dodgy Plastic or it's meant to be like it?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Looks like damp or moisture ingres.  Might be worth dropping into a large pot of simmering water to see if that helps.  Are you hoping to keep it that colour or dye it black?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Paulo

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:03 PM »

I want to keep it that colour. I've been after a grey seat for ages. I tried dying a white seat but just didn't work.

Would moisture ingres look embedded? How does hot water help?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:37 PM »

I want to keep it that colour. I've been after a grey seat for ages. I tried dying a white seat but just didn't work.

Would moisture ingres look embedded? How does hot water help?

The plastic is porous so hot water would pass through eventually, if it's engrained dirt or discoloration through damp it might clear it out; using bleach might help but I have no idea what that might do the colour.  Just a thought  :-\ .

Marty  :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:01 PM »
or try that colour match polish as i used the back to black on me tuffs and they come up a treat

Paulo

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:44 PM »

OK Marty...thanks...it makes sense.

I'm giving it a go now...so stay tuned.

I like the colour match idea as well.

lcfc

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:00 PM »

Can i just say that plastic is NOT porous, dont know where everyone is getting this from, its on anything to do with a tuff question or dying question.

By trade i am an injection mould tool maker ( anything plastic is made from a precision engineered steel mould ) So please believe me when i say i know this to be true. The only thing that will happen when putting seats, wheels, whatever in to hot water is that it will grow a little but once cool go back to its original size, and if its thin plastic it may distort it a little and that is permanent, but it will not soak in water.

Paulo

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:18 PM »

Just spotted this being sold by the same guy.

Looks like its got the same problem as my seat. Shame mine's grey so it didn't appear on the pics used on ebay.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Very odd, is it not nylon? Looks to be that way hence the dampness in the seat texture. I'd soak it in some bleach for a day if it was me and just have a punt, if that doesn't work, then try and dye it. Lazychubs suggestion is very good also and that could work also but I can't help think that its nylon and been left in a damp place for a long time as I have a pair of green tuffs that I purchased off someone recently that has similar patterns on it..  ???

Paulo

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50 PM »

Thanks for your comments all.

How can you tell if it's nylon or plastic?

Won't bleach fade the colour?

Tried the hot water and it didn't touch it.  :'(

I'm going to try the back to colour next. Fingers crossed

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:10 AM »

Can i just say that plastic is NOT porous, dont know where everyone is getting this from, its on anything to do with a tuff question or dying question.

By trade i am an injection mould tool maker ( anything plastic is made from a precision engineered steel mould ) So please believe me when i say i know this to be true. The only thing that will happen when putting seats, wheels, whatever in to hot water is that it will grow a little but once cool go back to its original size, and if its thin plastic it may distort it a little and that is permanent, but it will not soak in water.

Well please explain to me if they are not porous just how do they change colour when dyed using Dylon Multi Purpose Dye?

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Paulo:

Why not see if you can get some Dylon "Grey" and just re-dye it.

Hot Water, lots of Salt, Grey Dylon, leave for one hour and should be good as new!

Paulo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 06:59 PM »

Thanks Diesel. I tried Dylon's grey on a white seat before buying this seat. It just didn't work. Totally screwed up the seat.  :LolLolLolLol:

To be honest it's put my off a bit as it's seams a bit hit and miss.

If I could guarantee it wouldn't screw up the seat I'd give it a shot. :-[

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Now then...... here's an idea if you're feeling brave   ;)

People on another forum I look on have a way of bringing the colour back to their plastic van bumpers.  What they do is gently hold a hot air gun to the plastic. Not so much that it melts, but enough to get it very hot. Brings the colour right back I'm told.

They do this to old faded bumpers and I've seen some pictures, it appears to work a treat.

Don't hold me responsible for your fooked seat though eh?   ;D ;D ;D

lcfc

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 01:03 PM »

Well please explain to me if they are not porous just how do they change colour when dyed using Dylon Multi Purpose Dye?

It dont Dye all the way through its only on the surface, its a little like permanent marker pen when used on plastic/nylon it only on the top surface.

See for yourself, next time you do some dying stick a bic pen lid in as well, when done get a stanley knife and cut it in half, if it was a blue lid to begin with it will still be blue on the inside. Plastic is not fabric, i dont see many carports with plastic corrigated roofs weaping water, do you?

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 08:13 PM »
It dont Dye all the way through its only on the surface, its a little like permanent marker pen when used on plastic/nylon it only on the top surface.

See for yourself, next time you do some dying stick a bic pen lid in as well, when done get a stanley knife and cut it in half, if it was a blue lid to begin with it will still be blue on the inside. Plastic is not fabric, i dont see many carports with plastic corrigated roofs weaping water, do you?

The Dylon trick does actually work much better than you think ... simple as that  :coolsmiley:

Steve

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Steve's absolutly right :daumenhoch:

lcfc - you miss the point that most of these seats are made from nylon - and so is the fabric that 'dylon' dye has been designed to work on. The secret is plenty of salt.

We get loads of nylon screws/nuts dyed at work so that they colour match exactly.

Besides were shallow people here, and it dosen't need to be more than skin deep  >:D  :daumenhoch:

Paulo

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 09:27 PM »

Maybe I'm not being brave enough with the seat dye, or maybe not enough salt last time.

I'll try the back to colour stuff and then the dye again....you can keep the heat gun trick. Knowing my luck I'll melt the guts!

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Paulo: try the grey again with lots of salt. and at least 2 dylon tins (not dylon cold).

It'll reduce the boiling point, keeps lots of heat in without damaging the plastic.

Its got to be worth a shot before your go to black.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 11:04 PM »
plastic seats, wheels etc will not dye.

nylon products will. nylon is hydroscopic, in other words, that after time it will let water penetrate into it.

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 11:11 PM »

I see what you are saying however perhaps my use of the word PLASTIC instead of NYLON in relation to the seat is where the confusion has arisen  :daumenhoch:.

BTW, I've seen loads of leaky carport roofs, they've mainly had holes in or been put up by a cowboy  :LolLolLolLol:.

lcfc

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 02:05 AM »

Right, i am not saying that "Dylon" does not work, it does, i have a Red Jaguar seat that is now Jet black, but it is only black on the surface and permanently so. And as for nylon being hydroscopic... i dont think so, brake fluid is hydroscopic and the resovoir that you top it up with is made of.... you guessed it nylon.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 06:56 AM »

And as for nylon being hydroscopic... i dont think so, brake fluid is hydroscopic and the resovoir that you top it up with is made of.... you guessed it nylon.

All nylons are hygroscopic to some extent and as such are susceptible to deterioration due to moisture absorption. This moisture absorption also allows the dying process to work.

brake fluid is hydroscopic and the resovoir that you top it up with is made of.... you guessed it nylon

The glycol in brake fluid is hygroscopic and like nylon, is susceptable to deterioration due to water absorption (ie lowering the boiling point of the fluid)

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 06:13 PM »
which is why brake fluid needs to be changed every 18mnths

fu'ck we are a bunch of know all shmucks on here....lol

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 06:15 PM »
which is why brake fluid needs to be changed every 18mnths

fu'ck we are a bunch of know all shmucks on here....lol

Dave

Speak for yourself, I know nothing  :yahoo_silent:  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seat - Dodgy Plastic or it's meant to be like it?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx