gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cheap Standard Frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cheap Standard Frames  (Read 613 times)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Cheap Standard Frames
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:12 PM »
Whats the chances of these being the real deal????

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Bens-Cycle-Super-Store_standard-frame_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfromZR10QQfsnZBenQ27sQ20CycleQ20SuperQ20StoreQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ12702733QQsofpZ0

looks to good to be true at the current price inc shipping works out to about £90

Sean 2000

Re: Cheap Standard Frames
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:23 PM »
They look super old with them dropouts and brake mounts, which probably means HEAVY!

Phil's the man for this thread i believe?

Sean.

dialledbikes

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Waterford did make the frames for Standard until recently and they look legit.

It says they're Trail Boss frames, but I'm not sure the Trail Boss frames ever came with V-brake mounts.  They look more like Bicycle Moto Cross or 125R frames.  Then again, neither of those frames weighed 6lbs 13oz.  If the quoted weight is correct, I've no idea what they are, other than a Waterford made Standard (which is what they look like).  I think that quoted weight on the ebay auction is wrong.

Probably at least 7 or 8 years old anyway, cos of the US BB.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:52 PM »
I'm sure the trail boss frames had 990 mounts on the chainstays and a little fat gusset between the top and down tubes?

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:55 PM »
I HAD A CRUISER TRAI BOSS WITH    V   MOUNTS BUT IT HAD A LITTLT GUSSETT IN BETWEEN TOP AND DOWN TUBE

RUSS

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:25 PM »
You're right about the gusset.  So they're definitely BMX or 125 frames (if real).

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:41 PM »
If you go into each listing they all have different weights, the lightest being 4lb 9.5 oz, also one of the seat tubes where it meets the top tube is different.

bof

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 01:28 PM »
I think oberonspacefruit bought one of these for zach.  :)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:13 PM »
right, let me get into all of this!

first of all when i click on the link i get an 'sta' lookin frame. but from whats been posted up was a trail boss/trls250 / bicycle motocross/r125 frame.
to clear up a couple of your questions on this. my 99 trls250 weighs in at 6lbs 7ozs. don't forget that custom frames are made so brake lugs could be anywhere but generally on the chainstays until about 3ish years ago

its been a fantastic study and what we have here is frame thats been designed with a mix of standard parts so its a kind of hybrid copy

if you look at this pic you'll see an ox sta i my living room and the 'sta' from the website. the gusset at the back of the of the bb is reminiscent of the old shorty and lengthy frames, not used on the sta. check harris's chrome sta frame from about 94/95 in the midschool. they've always had a tube instead.

next are the dropouts. wrong shape! the sta has always had slightly squarer dropouts, these are more like the trls250 look but still with the wrong curvature

to be era correct with this frame. the droputs aren't true to the bb either. euro bb's didn't start appearing on bmx frames until about 2002 ish. and standard were the first to do it. at this point i can't recall any street/burly frame being produced to take a 10mm dropout.

the only conclusion i can reach with this frame is that it possibly is made by waterford as the quality of the build is fantastic, the dropouts are capped really nice and it screams standard all over. if it is a waterford then i'd say these frames are part of a prototype batch that never appeared in production so we never saw the evolution process. if they're not waterford frames then someone has picked they're favourite parts from all the standard frames and have made a nice copy.

for the price though, if they're 4130 and the quality of the build would make up into a nice bike

if someone has got a pic of these trail boss/ r125 looking frames can you post it up for me to have a look at as i've had a 97 trailboss, a 98 trls250, a 99 trls250, a 2002 0x trls250, 2005 250l

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cheap Standard Frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx