gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 05:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Have you ever quit riding?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Have you ever quit riding?  (Read 8977 times)

evamedia

Re: Have you ever quit riding?
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2008, 11:03 PM »
I finally begged my parents to replace my purple and yellow commando with a Puch Murray, blue with a yellow padset a couple of weeks before Mr Stupple did a demo at the Bell Pub in Southend, not sure of the year.

Rode 1/4's from about 83 and built our own half pipe in 87, rode that for about 18 months, then went raving for about 4 years.

in '92 a friends younger brother got a GT performer for xmas, so me and a couple of mates took him down Leigh-on-sea, mostly rode park, and vert thanks to TwoBobRob until 97ish then hit the trails. My riding buddy's drifted into racing cars and motorbikes, I last rode trails in late August '99. Sold the bike, threw all the old parts(doh!).

In September 2007 moping round the house, my missus told me to go and do something. I drove down to Epsom Trails to have a look, no one was riding, but I was blown away by the trails. Said to the missus that it made me want to get a bike again, she said go for it.

Got it about a week later, hooked up with some old riding buddies, who've been great, mainly been riding Charlton and Benfleet, spent 4.5 hours yesterday throwing myself round Corby and loving it....hurts a bit today but I'm loving it.

rosscoe

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2008, 12:03 PM »
I quit riding in 1994,  i had a pretty bad crash a couple of years before then at the Goshen halfpipe, Bury. (slammed a 540 straight to my face!) after that i couldnt ride properly, couldnt air, lost all confidence.. MAJOR pop-out-itis!! I then made the decision to quit!

Worst decision i've ever made! EVER!! hated not riding and i hadnt rode for 12 years!! but with the X-Games and Gravity games on tv, i was itching to ride again. So i finally got off my arse and got my new bike together (Hoffman condor), and met a couple of old mates i used to ride with, who, them selves are riding again

I've been riding now for nearly two years, to ride again was the BEST decision i ever made!!!

Rampworx... 2007.

wow, thats a cracking shot........weird though, cause I remember you as the little kid ripping....................forgetting that was a good 20 years ago.....

subversion

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2008, 12:38 PM »
'but realised BMX was actually just full of bitching kids in tight jeans, weird looking bikes made of string & wood & old men who hate anything that wasnt made before 1986'

hahahahaha.. sounds like a subversion comment!!!

Thanks for that Ray :LolLolLolLol: salty olde bastid? Moi? >:D

Rather than reeling off my own 'version of events' I wrote the below a couple of years back...

http://subversionbmxblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/joe-kid-on-falcon-pro_27.html

Can't see myself quiting any time soon :daumenhoch:

macky

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41 AM »
I quit riding in 1994,  i had a pretty bad crash a couple of years before then at the Goshen halfpipe, Bury. (slammed a 540 straight to my face!) after that i couldnt ride properly, couldnt air, lost all confidence.. MAJOR pop-out-itis!! I then made the decision to quit!

Worst decision i've ever made! EVER!! hated not riding and i hadnt rode for 12 years!! but with the X-Games and Gravity games on tv, i was itching to ride again. So i finally got off my arse and got my new bike together (Hoffman condor), and met a couple of old mates i used to ride with, who, them selves are riding again

I've been riding now for nearly two years, to ride again was the BEST decision i ever made!!!

Rampworx... 2007.

wow, thats a cracking shot........weird though, cause I remember you as the little kid ripping....................forgetting that was a good 20 years ago.....

Thanx like, but i cant help thinking you may have mistaken me for Steve (Macky) McIntosh?? I just happen to share the same nickname as Steve had!! Really i should have used a different user name... but everyone i've ever known knows me as Macky!!
Bit guttered now though, cos you probably are talkin about Steve McIntosh and that was a Great comment!! hahaha!! :)
He was an Amazing rider though... so smooth and controlled!! Should i change my user name to avoid furher confusion???  :-\

madall

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2008, 04:59 AM »
I would change it...lol

rosscoe

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 05:31 PM »

Rampworx... 2007.

Thanx like, but i cant help thinking you may have mistaken me for Steve (Macky) McIntosh?? I just happen to share the same nickname as Steve had!! Really i should have used a different user name... but everyone i've ever known knows me as Macky!!
Bit guttered now though, cos you probably are talkin about Steve McIntosh and that was a Great comment!! hahaha!! :)
He was an Amazing rider though... so smooth and controlled!! Should i change my user name to avoid furher confusion???  :-\

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[....yup, you are right........soryy....but still a cracking shot, no matter who you are!

Arma

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40 PM »
MARK   Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  dont do it bro just have a break  we all  need it at our age , 
me gave up in 83 or 84 ask dan think thats right .  Went into parachuting for 12 years and fugged up clubbing , abit of sking and boarding into bars at the bottom of slopes which was nice.  then back into bmx its now been away of life for 6 years and that means every decision i make revolves round bmx and that means everything , ITS NOT A SPORT ITS A WAY OF LIFE .......

keyhole kid

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 07:35 PM »
 well seeing that you asked so nicely pat i will do me best ! im going to see a psyiotherapist and see what they say..... i dont want to stop so here goes.......  :daumenhoch:

steve1275

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 07:53 PM »
yeah mark,
         dont stop now, you need to just try and chill with your whip attempts, and try something a little less straining on your arms..
just ride and and flow some stylee airs like you know you can, but no hard landings.... get some friday evening southsea sessions going on when its nice and quiet..  some physio should help to...but dont stop riding!!!!    :'(

steve :daumenhoch:

Sean 2000

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 10:39 PM »
It all started for me when i saw Mr Ruffell and his Mongoose buddy's doing a demo in Priory Park, Southend-on-Sea probably summer of 82 i reckon??
Badgered my parents into getting me a bike for xmas, so christmas 82 i got my first BMX. Cant even tell you what it was, it came with no stickers (but had a white vinyl poppered redline padset on it) It was black with all gold components. I seem to remember somebody saying one day that it was a black panther or sumit like that  :-\. Anyway upgraded or swapped most of the parts on it and it ended up looking like this

And me gettin gnarly on it  ;D

Every waking minute was BMX from that moment on, swapped my way to a Gen 1 with Darren Rochford (son of the owner of Rochford Cycles, if anybody remembers them?) in the end via a nickel mongoose, a supergoose in chrome, a DB SS and Torker 280X. Started skating in about 85 as well as riding. Then got myself a Kwaka KX100 spent a lot of time at Aveley in Essex (now where lakeside is i believe) just riding and jumping it. Then had a brief spell with a Mongoose Decade in 89 riding the Canvey Island Midi ramp. Got a car, found exctasy and warehouses full of gurning idiots. blah blah blah!

Once i came down from that (about 92  ::)) One of my mates bought a PK Ripper XL, another dug his old sport outa the shed. So i went and bought a GT Vertigo to have a fook about on. Ended up with a mint Trickstar with chrome Araya 48's, Kneesavers, flights etc. and spent the summers of 92 and 93 riding at L-O-S. Heaven  :smitten:

Split up with my long term bird, lost the plot a bit, sold the Hutch for £250., rediscovered exctasy with Drum & Bass, met my wife.
Got bored in 2000 and bought a Felt Cruiser for gettin around on (just got a mortgage & couldnt afford a motor) which was nice but i hanckered for a 20" to get back on the transitions. Anyway that didnt happen til April last year when i found RAD. The rest is history as they say, only 1 regret for me..............................................................................
Why the fook did i stop riding in 93  :crazy2:

So yeah ive stopped riding, but only in a physical form! As Pat said "its a way of life"

Sean.  ;)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 10:51 PM »
Sean, it's funny how things turn out eh?   I rode at Aveley from 79 to 81 firstly on a little 50 then onto a YZ125.  After that, I got an ATC185 trike and rode that at Poles Wood Brentwood for around a year.

In 82 I threw it all in to ride BMX.

So anyhoo, I missed you at Aveley, then missed you again at Leigh on Sea 15 years later.  Still, my luck ran out last year..........  :P ;D ;D ;D

Sean 2000

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Yeh mate, it sure did.........cos im like herpes! You got me for life now buddy.  ;D

The "R"  ;)

Lazarou

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12 AM »
1980 until 2008 a short break in 2004 for a few months (burnt out on the whole scene) then back in action* on my cruiser.

* action as in breathlessly careering down the road wishing i'd never been born.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2008, 12:29 AM »
never! got my first bmx in 1985 along with the bmx action bike book of that year for christmas and i've had a bmx ever since. nearly quit a few years back due to the bad attitude in the midlands skateparks and some back issues, but went back to riding more street which helped my back and i rode on my own developing my own tricks and thought 'fook em. this is my sport and its in my blood'

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Have you ever quit riding?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx