gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 10:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Helmets
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 1248 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Helmets
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:44 PM »
So what full face helmets do people use ??   Moto-X or a proper BMX/Mountain bike one.

Anyone got any decent links to some ????
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 07:00 PM »
one of the most popular is the 661 comp helmet for about £60

check the link
http://www.stif.co.uk/shop/mb_software_products.asp?name=FULL%20FACE%20HELMETS&cat=16

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Bell Moto 7, always used Bell when it comes to full face, Moto 3 was my first, Moto 4 which I had for donkeys and then I got a 7 last year. Top helmet!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Moto 7 for me too.  They can be found brand new on Ebay for very good money   :daumenhoch:

Although I paid a fortune for mine......  :'(

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Except that they're polycarbonate....

That means no paint, no stickers and single use only if you value your head.  Now I know all crash helmets are single use items, but polycarb ones have been known to split into pieces on a second impact even though they showed no sign of damage after the first.

Most of us would confess to dropping our lids or taking some fairly light slams and continuing to use the same one, I know I do....  But it's risky with polycarb lids   ;)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:55 PM »
So would it be better to go for a Motocross one or are they on the heavy side for racing BMX ??

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:16 PM »
So would it be better to go for a Motocross one or are they on the heavy side for racing BMX ??

Go MX , your head deserves it  ;)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:03 PM »

That means no paint, no stickers and single use only if you value your head.  Now I know all crash helmets are single use items, but polycarb ones have been known to split into pieces on a second impact even though they showed no sign of damage after the first.

Most of us would confess to dropping our lids or taking some fairly light slams and continuing to use the same one, I know I do....  But it's risky with polycarb lids   ;)

Are they no good then, cos they pass what needs to be passed  ???
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Bell used to run an advert along the lines of "If you have a $20 head, buy a $20 helmet", kind of says it all really.

Am a bit of a hypocrite as these days I only wear a Protec pee pot but bitd I used to ride with a Bell Moto3 and will soon be getting an MX lid probably a Moto7 or a Fox Tracer   :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51 PM »

Are they no good then, cos they pass what needs to be passed  ???

No, they're perfectly good lids. They pass all the neccessary safety checks and stuff. Used to be an ACU sticker (bronze, silver, gold), but is now a euro number I believe.

But polycarb is the least favoured material to build lids in.  Hence how you can get a lovely looking, well specced lid for under £75 notes or so.  But it'll generally be heavier than a similar fibreglass, kevlar or composite lid. Those more sophisticated lids can also handle the solvents in paints and sticker glue etc.

My advice would be to check out brand name fibreglass or composite lids as a minimum. They will retail between  £150-£300, but there are bargains to be found in end of line and last years stock etc.

Is weight an issue?  I'd say work on your neck muscles..  :)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:56 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

kickdown

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 11:04 PM »
on the mx front i have used arai which are awsome but you do pay for the extra qulity in them,
ive also had fly which is a copy of an arai took a big hit in it and was very impressed and they can be picked up for £50 for the older models and around 130 for the 08 versions,
used a lazer this year good spec light and look good fair price of around 155 up to 170 this is for the mx7 model, only problem is the peak can break where it attaches to the helmet in the midlle very easy,
this season ive been offerd bell moto 8s they look awsome just havent tried on my head yet!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 11:10 PM »
Yeah.  Arai VX Pro or a Windham model.  Quality   :daumenhoch:

Was my first choice but couldn't get hold one on the day, so went Bell instead.

KGB Matt

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 11:17 PM »
Me and my kids all use MX lids they may be a little heavier but....... if it can withstand an impact @70mph im confidant it can manage 20-30 mph.

Just bought my son a 661 in Kevlar®, carbon fiber and fiberglass.  Here .

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx'modelID=7240

Good lids for the cashola.

Matt

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 09:03 AM »
i got a bell balistic, unused off the bay for £10, fookin awful colours but light n up to the job i reckon

dialledbikes

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 10:22 AM »
How much do the Bell Moto lids go for these days?  Always wanted one in the 80's but couldn't afford it.

And what's a good online MX shop to buy MX lids?

I've used 661 carbon and Troy Lee carbon BMX/DH lids since I came back.  Troy Lee one is excellent but getting a little smelly and scratched up after 2 seasons.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 12:15 PM »
Mike, you don't find them any cheaper than that..

There are a couple of variants. I think there's a 7K and a 7R and one was dearer than the other, but the shell was the same.

You should really try one on though, make sure you have a Bell head, so to speak.  They don't suit everyone.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 01:14 PM »
I've just won this one on Ebay for my son for when he starts racing soon.   Any good ?????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120210454284

dialledbikes

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Those Bells on ebay are cheap.  Pretty ugly compared to the original Moto 3/4/5 (or maybe the rose tinted specs are just messing with my head and the older ones just seem better looking from memory).

I know what you mean about having the right head for a Bell, Rob.  I ordered a Bell full face mountain bike lid in 2001 which I thought was my size (Large) but it didn't fit (too small).

KGB Matt

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 02:57 PM »
I've just won this one on Ebay for my son for when he starts racing soon.   Any good ?????

size 55-56cm

Thats quite a big lid for a kiddie, my son is 5 and his new lid is 53-54cm but is still a little too big for him, my daughter is 8 and wears a 53-54 now.

Remember it need to be tight but not uncomfortable so that his head cannot move inside it.

Matt

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Shouldn't be able to twist it on the head with the chinstrap undone. On the other hand, it shouldn't leave a mark on the forehead either. That needs about a 20 min test really.

Having the cheeks all squished up is ok though, as long as its comfortable.

Fox make a good lid, thats a bargain at £16.  But be sure to have a bloody close look at it though buddy   ;)

Mike,  I alway hankered after a Moto3 as a kid. Such a cool looking lid   :daumenhoch:   They have lost a bit of their identity along the way, but the plain colour ones look better to me.   :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 03:16 PM »
I've just won this one on Ebay for my son for when he starts racing soon.   Any good ?????

size 55-56cm

Thats quite a big lid for a kiddie, my son is 5 and his new lid is 53-54cm but is still a little too big for him, my daughter is 8 and wears a 53-54 now.

Remember it need to be tight but not uncomfortable so that his head cannot move inside it.

Matt

Cheers mate for the info on sizes, my son is 12 and will be 13 in March. We measured his head first before we bought it and this was the size that we reckoned.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Helmets

gfxgfx
gfx gfx