gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 02:24 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  How do you start racing ????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How do you start racing ????  (Read 1055 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
How do you start racing ????
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Sorry chaps, probably been done before.

I visited Bournemouth BMX track today with my son, it got the mouth watering big time. So my questions are, considering i'm 38 now, how do i start ???
I assume i would have to join Bournemouth as a club, what age would i be racing in and what bike would i need ? Would i need OS or would any bike be ok.
I'm 5ft 10 ish so would a  20" bike be ok or would the cruiser suit me better. I'd prefer 20" to be honest.

Would the races just  be club races or would it be a south thing ???

Lots of questions i know but i'm sure you guys have the answers.
My wife isn't too happy over this as apparently i'm a risk taker ???? :LolLolLolLol: Yeah right.

Cheers for reading anyway.

Andy.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: How do you start racing ????
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:30 PM »
 :) Most clubs have open days,you shouldn`t need a race licence.Give the club a call and see what`s happening.20 should be ok,but I`d consider a frame with at least a 21 inch toptube and wide bars and 180mm cranks.......oh and a full face helmet!

James

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 05:34 PM »
what james said,and go out and have fun :daumenhoch:

priv

zed4130

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 05:36 PM »
get enough of us down here mate we could start our own series, with gossa as our team capt  ;)

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 05:41 PM »
There's not many better clubs you could have chosen to go to than Bournemouth.  Speak to Geoff Routledge (you can't miss him, he looks like Hulk Hogan) and he'll tell you all you need to know to start racing again.

At 38, you'll be in 30+/Masters (if you ride 20") or 30-39 Cruiser.

Welcome back!

Flying_fox

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Welcome back to racing. 8)

Masters is mental, i've been doing it as long as the class has been there, I did 25+ before that. It a crazy, crazy place to be, loads of super friendly blokes (off the track  ;)). 30-39 cruiser is a massive class, I'd say one the biggest in UK BMX and thats full of nutters too!

If i could give you one piece of advice, get insurace, BMX racing is dangerious and you will get hurt at one time or another if your putting it on the line. :police:  Two broken collar bones last year for me....... :buck2:

Saying that the worst thing that happened to me at Peterborough today was being sick after the 2nd and 3rd motos, but then I'm very unfit after more or less a year out.... :D

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:00 PM »
There's not many better clubs you could have chosen to go to than Bournemouth.  Speak to Geoff Routledge (you can't miss him, he looks like Hulk Hogan) and he'll tell you all you need to know to start racing again.

Welcome back!

Cheers for all the answers today chaps,

Mike, Was speaking to this guy today whilst some practised. Didn't really know what questions to ask as we were talking about the good old days of 20yrs ago when i last raced there. Wow that tracked has changed. Looked quite scary to be honest mate.
He said their hoping to start racing again by April as their doing work to the track again.

Is it busy down there with the old fogies or are there just enough for 3 motos and a final. Really really looking forward to it.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Welcome back to racing. 8)

If i could give you one piece of advice, get insurace, BMX racing is dangerious and you will get hurt at one time or another if your putting it on the line. :police:  Two broken collar bones last year for me....... :buck2:

To be honest i cant see me going fast enough to get hurt :LolLolLolLol:. In all seriousness, you're totally right, Mountain biking in the New Forest near Fordingbridge in  April Last year resulted in a Broken hand, two broken ribs and half my face missing. Pride was pretty damaged in all. :uglystupid2:

Do all bikes have to run a pad set ????

Flying_fox

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:10 PM »

Do all bikes have to run a pad set ????
`

Not any more, the got rid of the pad set rule a couple of years ago. Your better off padding yourself up than your bike any way!

dialledbikes

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:25 PM »

Welcome back!

Cheers for all the answers today chaps,

Mike, Was speaking to this guy today whilst some practised. Didn't really know what questions to ask as we were talking about the good old days of 20yrs ago when i last raced there. Wow that tracked has changed. Looked quite scary to be honest mate.
He said their hoping to start racing again by April as their doing work to the track again.

Is it busy down there with the old fogies or are there just enough for 3 motos and a final. Really really looking forward to it.

Bournemouth looks scary, but once you get used to it, it actually flows quite nicely.  One of my favourite tracks.  South Region Championships have been there for the last 2 seasons, and they always get a good turnout.

Most South regionals we get A, B and sometimes C finals.  Inter-regionals we sometimes get D finals.  So normally you will get 3 motos, possibly a semi, and then a final.

Miles is right about not needing the pads on the bike.  Better off investing in some decent knee/shin and elbow pads.  I even wear body armour at some races, depends how gnarly the track is/whether I feel like jumping or not.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 11:04 PM »
I started back 18 months ago, at 40 years old (after a 25 year break). I stuck with old school all the way, keep an eye on the OS racing section on here for an Old school race near you, we are a very friendly bunch (unless its your birthday >:D). To start with use the bike you have, then you can decide what direction you want to take. A few of the OS riders from last year have built up enough confidence to start racing 40+ cruiser and even masters this year :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

nishiki14

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Hi Andy! Welcome back to the land of BMX fella, how did you get on with getting back into it fella, just noticed this thread and its been a few weeks now? :daumenhoch:
Do you have a bike yet................Old or New? ???

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:33 PM »
Hi Andy! Welcome back to the land of BMX fella, how did you get on with getting back into it fella, just noticed this thread and its been a few weeks now? :daumenhoch:
Do you have a bike yet................Old or New? ???

Certainly have mate, i've been pestering the guys on the racing section for a few weeks now.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=53246.0

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=53556.0

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=54163.0

Off to Bournemouth this weekend for practise. :daumenhoch:

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 10:07 PM »
ridersreadyPedalsReadyGO !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  How do you start racing ????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx