gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  victorian bmx?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: victorian bmx?  (Read 773 times)

darkersomeday

victorian bmx?
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:50 PM »
any idea's for a victorian bmx?

colours? parts?

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: victorian bmx?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:52 PM »
:wtf: is a victorian bmx joe?

:) DINGO :)

darkersomeday

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:06 PM »
i've got an electro plater organized to do a frame for me in copper plate,

i've been doing some research into how to patina the finish nicely,

dunno what to do with the bars/forks though, get them plated or do them in another colour, maybe dark green or black with gold pinstriping?

i'd go with a euro frame and use a proper period olf crankset and rubber bar pedals but i'd like it to stay rideable,

i need some idea's!

rod brakes? hopw do i get some brass into the fray? wood too?

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:09 PM »
wood?

use fablon (wood effect like you used to use to cover school exercise books) and a hairdryer to get the creases out

you would need those leather brake blocks that came on rod brakes too, and cotterpin cranks

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Mosh did some wood effect stems and hubs I think, but you might have a job finding them.

Riveted brass motifs on the head-tube and down-tube instead of decals would be the best bet.........

...I still reckon it'll look poo though  :LolLolLolLol:

darkersomeday

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 08:38 PM »
some cracking idea's cheers!

the riveted ht badge is a defo,

same with the leather blocks,

i'm wracking my brains about how to get the brake from the lever to the frame without using a cable,

it'll look shit more than likely but i've wanted to build something different for ages, something outside the box :-\

i've never seen or heard of a steampunk bmx so i'm going to build one :LolLolLolLol:

spesh

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 08:55 PM »
the old butchers bike used push rods and levers to make the brakes work

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Brillant, got to be dark greys, and especially browns and sepia, light browns, etc.. but back in victorian days it was green dark greens, mid blues and silver but only cameras in those days would pick up browns etc... so if you're after that "what we see look" then deffo browns,... you know, i'd love to see some skyways in brown that would be awesome  ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Pashly still make "Classic" bikes with rod brakes, so parts are still avalable. Maybe try to get a whole Rod rig and make frame mounts for it all. You never know, you might even be able to make them WORK!

Lazarou

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I think Joe's missed his medication again.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:18 PM »
Pashly still make "Classic" bikes with rod brakes, so parts are still avalable. Maybe try to get a whole Rod rig and make frame mounts for it all. You never know, you might even be able to make them WORK!

It'll be difficult because the levers need to be at 90º to the bars, unless you make some bars with some serious sweep  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:20 PM »

It'll be difficult because the levers need to be at 90º to the bars, unless you make some bars with some serious sweep  :LolLolLolLol:

No, you just fit them right down the bars, like those Haro 2 finger plastic ones. Talking of brakes that never worked...!

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:27 PM »
That'd work  :daumenhoch:  but instead of having a cam system, use the mount on the bar as a pivot point.

Also, instead of having a stirrup brake, run a rod to a pitbull?

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 09:38 PM »

Also, instead of having a stirrup brake, run a rod to a pitbull?

Now that is an amazing idea! Rigging a pitbull up with rods. That would be BMX with a middle ages twist, for sure.

That reminds me of a couple of things:

Some people use spokes for their stradle wire on 990s. I always liked that idea. zero flex,stretch or cable sag.

For a while I used ally tube for the outer cables of my upper and lower gyro cables. I got it from B&Q and it was a tiny bit larger than normal cable outer. It worked really well cos there was no outer cable compression. The problem was that it was hard to get the perfect curve to the tube (cable outer does it naturaly), and if (when) you crashed, the tube often got bent up and the brake didnt work at all!

darkersomeday

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 10:04 PM »
more great idea's, ta!

i like the cable tubes idea, i might try and source some thin steel tubing and have it tacked onto the frame,

icould use a rod from the tube to pull a small bike chain i want to use as a straddle,

i've been toying with the idea of a double drive system too, if i get a flip-flop rsd/lsd hub and run a regular freewheel on the left side of it  will that enable me to run a drive system on both side?

ideally the frame would be butted together using old race bike butts but (lol) i'm not a frame builder so i figure i'll paint them on around the tube junctions,

lastly i want to chop both sides of the seatube out ala eastern grim reaper but a bit bigger,not to save weight i want to put something in there  :LolLolLolLol:
should i drill holes on each side and cut in between?

thanks again for all your suggestions

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 07:38 AM »
Buy something like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mens-Antique-Raleigh-vintage-bicycle-Made-around-1958_W0QQitemZ200158663636QQihZ010QQcategoryZ420QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and chop it down to make a BMX (same as when people chop down BMX's to make pit bikes), all the parts are there then you just need to tweek the design  :idiot2:

Voodoocars

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Don't forget to put a 26" wheel on the front and a 12" on the back.And put the leather saddle in the centre of the handlebars. :2funny:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 08:37 AM »
joe i can help
  as im not far from cambridge i no of an old bike shop
that has alot of rearly old stuff like the butchers bikes and alot of parts you
might need ,when i go to billys again i will pop in with my camera.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  victorian bmx?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx