gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 09:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  skyway made in uk?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway made in uk?  (Read 1935 times)

jackel

skyway made in uk?
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:06 PM »
got a pair of skyways orange there both old 84-85ish the rear one is metal hubbed with coaster and it says madein uk on it the front is about 85 as well plastic hubbed but says made in usa.i allways thought skyway where made in america.

SaMAlex

Re: skyway made in uk?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07 PM »
Its been said that they were made in High Wycombe for a while.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07 PM »
 :tickedoff: Damn S&MAlex beat me to it  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

jackel

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09 PM »
cheers lads that cleared it up :)

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:47 PM »
There used to be an old Skyway Ad on the back of the likes of "Freestyle BMX" which was a full colour bit with loadsa different coloured tuffs on it and it definitely mentioned something about Skyways being made in the UK now (then?).
Someone on here's bound to have this ad.

Brian.

mark 2

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 02:35 AM »
I've had some made in UK tuffs and Z rims too (maybe made at same place?). Could be worth asking Jai if someone at Shiners know anything about it. Although looking at an old ad Freewheeler Leisure in Warwick were Skyway distributor bitd. Maybe Bill knows.....it's a mystery.

JT71

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08 AM »
I've had some made in UK tuffs and Z rims too (maybe made at same place?). Could be worth asking Jai if someone at Shiners know anything about it. Although looking at an old ad Freewheeler Leisure in Warwick were Skyway distributor bitd. Maybe Bill knows.....it's a mystery.

I'm sure Freewheeler made Skyways in Wellesbourne, the village I grew up in. There was a skip out back with loads of bent and cracked ones in, I never managed to salvage a usable set, lots of kids said they did, but I'm sure the ones in the skip were all fokked and you had to go over a wall with glas sin the concrete on top to have a look.  :shocked:

they might well have been made at the factory in High Wycombe and sorted and distributed from the unit in Wellesbourne.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Makes you wonder if the machinery is still in the UK, if the moulds have the alloy hubs and whether they still have the rivieting tools  :-\

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:51 PM »
They were made under licence for Skyway in the uk, possibly to get around the import duty tax thing, I thought someone on here recons it was in High Wycombe but I`m not sure tbh  :crazy2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

retrogeezer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I heard they were made in High Wycombe - pretty sure they are all plastic hubbed and usually green from the ones I have seen!

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 02:10 PM »
I heard they were made in High Wycombe - pretty sure they are all plastic hubbed and usually green from the ones I have seen!

Apparently there were some metal hubbed ones as well, but they were never riveted only bolted. The only original tuff II's with bolts would have 'Made in UK' stamped on them.

Any that don't have 'Made in UK' stamped on them but have bolted hubs have had the hub replaced.

got a pair of skyways orange there both old 84-85ish the rear one is metal hubbed with coaster and it says madein uk on it .............

I take it the hub is bolted?

jackel

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 02:43 PM »
yes mate the hub is bolted :) bloodyell its a minefield of knowledge on here :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I used to work for a plastic injection mould company near Oxford. I was working with an older bloke for a day, and it came up that I was into BMX. He started telling me (although not making a big deal of it) that where he used to work made Skyway wheels in the 80s. I didnt know that skyways were ever made in the UK so I said "no, you must mean 'mag wheels', were they OGK or Acorn?". He said that they were deff Skyway wheels, and the factory where they were made was in High Wycombe.

clonerz

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:28 PM »
I have 5 pairs of NOS made in the uk ones here.They all have "made in the uk" stamped on em, and the rears are all coaster, they are all bolted on.The front wheels are all plastic hubbed. The coaster made in the uk ones will always have the bolt in hubs on them. The rivetting machine, from what i am told, was too heavy to be shipped to the uk, and they were very expensive too, so it seems thats why they just bolted the hubs in.Seems a lot less hassle to me as well.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  skyway made in uk?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx