gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shinysides
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shinysides  (Read 544 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Shinysides
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:57 PM »
Ok close now to finishing my Ultra burner build and I want to keep as many parts as survivor as possible as they really are in good nick... especially the wheels. Yeah they have a few scratches here and there but overall they are in very good condition. The anodising has worn away around the edges and its left brake marks which i've removed with CIF and a washing up pad, but I want to get these really smooth and shiny. Anyone know how I can do this? I don't want to fook it up so any advice is appreciated, thanks  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Shinysides
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Yep, know the problem well.  My mate has rigged up a flap wheel sander and a jig that hold the hub and runs the rim under the flap wheel.

Went from this...

To this...

Look nice and minty now and only took about 10 mins to do the pair  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:11 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

wildwood1971

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07 PM »
If you have got all the scratchs out use 1000 grit then 1500 grit then 2000 grit sand paper and then polish with autosol - polish until your fingers hurt then buff the living daylights out of them - jobs a goodun  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Marty that looks the bollox, that's just what I need!  :daumenhoch: Ain't anywhere around here that could do that though I don't reckon (epping, essex). So may have to go the rubbing down route. You can still feel slightly where the brakes have eaten into them, just very fine embedded lines around each part of the rim which I hope will come out with some wet/dry. I'll get some at the weekend and try. Would love to bring them up nicely though. Don't see the point in re-anodising them as I intend to use this Ultra now and again for some riding  ;)

wildwood1971

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:26 PM »
go for it dude - you can get the wet and dry at Halfords - you be surprised how good you can get them - just takes a bit longer than having them done at a polishing shop  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:27 PM »
Thanks matey will have a go this weekend while the wife is shopping  ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:33 PM »
If you go the hand route use a block of wood wrapped in wet and dry to make sure you get a nice clean line and even finish  :daumenhoch:

*** edited because spelling and beer don't seem to mix too well  :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:41 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Thanks for that tip Marty, will do that indeed  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Shinysides

gfxgfx
gfx gfx