gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 02:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mk2 Holmes build, started
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mk2 Holmes build, started  (Read 2240 times)

SaMAlex

Mk2 Holmes build, started
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:16 AM »
I have finally got this bike started. Its a mk2 “Team Murray stay” S&M Holmes and the forks are “pre pitch” S&M forks. I got it about a year ago and did nothing with it for ages. It was chrome but I got SuperBike Dan to powder coat it Yellow. Needless to say, he did an amazing job. It’s a great colour, but the lighting in my shed is bad and I don’t have a flash on my phone. I got the finished frame from him at the Radbmx Xmas Do and its been sat in the bubble wrap since then.

Tonight I was only planning to put the forks in but I ended up putting more stuff on cos it was all there. Ive got to take the cranks off another bike and strip the arms back to chrome (I painted them red), and put on a brake and lever. Oh, and get some decals.

Its still a way off finished but thought Id post up some pics as it might be like this for a while.

gossa

Re: Mk2 Holmes build, started
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:28 AM »
dude, pm me your addy again and i'll get those decals off, i take it you want them for this build?

There's 2 blk and 1 red downtubers mate

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Clive, you are DA MAN! Thanks tons, Love you loads!  :daumenhoch:

Address PMed!

woody allen bars

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:37 AM »
That one is well worth doing Alex, and looks killer already, love the yellow paint, and I know that you prefer it to chrome too. Like the GT seat, probably thee most popular seat of the early nineties.

Bet you're tempted to put the old style Homes downtube stickers on it?

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:50 AM »
That one is well worth doing Alex, and looks killer already, love the yellow paint, and I know that you prefer it to chrome too. Like the GT seat, probably thee most popular seat of the early nineties.

Bet you're tempted to put the old style Homes downtube stickers on it?

I am pretty crap at building bikes and I just threw parts at it that were to hand. The seat is great, but the seatpost is some old thing that was attached to the seat, and is upside down (not sure why?). The wheels were the ones I got from you, and could probably do with new spindles and wheel nuts but I just got them in there and did them up for now. The frame, forks, stem and bars are all lovely, and Im thinking a set of chrome gen2 Prince Alberts with a classic 44t flight ring.

Too right Im tempted to use the early Holmes decal. Its my fav one, and looks great on yellow. But I have a mk1 Holmes with the same decal already so I was going to try to use something else, but if Gossa is kind enough to donate decals, then the least I can do is use them.

RyanPartridge

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:01 PM »
This bike is gonna kick ass! I'm diggin' it already, and that seat is perfect.

laughinggravy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Those seat stays are the bizzo, soooooooooooooo cool. 'Pretty crap at building bikes', what the?! Donfinkso, cheers for masterclass in setting up ad990's in Radlands carpark, back whenever it was.....  me prior to Alex's brake tips (springs last): :crazy2:, me after,  ;D

woody allen bars

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17 PM »
There's one v. similar on bmxmuseum, looking good with the red downtube decal.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sandm/5767/1

That could be your best build yet Alex

rory

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17 PM »
looking good mate :daumenhoch:

Miko

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 05:39 PM »
That is going to be tits, Alex.  As if you didn't already have enough bikes for me to envy.   :laugh:  Mk2's might be my fave.

...but if Gossa is kind enough to donate decals, then the least I can do is use them.

Agreed.  I wonder if he's got any left for this guy.   :angel:  Of course, I'd be very, very grateful for some good scans too. 

RyanPartridge

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43 PM »
There's one v. similar on bmxmuseum, looking good with the red downtube decal.

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sandm/5767/1

That could be your best build yet Alex

That one is for sale. Here's the link to the "for sale" post where there was discussion about the stickers used on the frame...

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=38021

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 05:45 PM »
amazing - i lloooove that alex!!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 07:41 PM »
I really dont know what to do about the decals on this one.

Every picture I have seen on the mk2 Holmes (both in US and UK magazines) had it with the "Molerterno Holmes" decal. (The frame wasnt made for long so there werent many pics of them). I would be happy to use that decal but Ive got a mk3 Holmes with those on, and as that frame is still just like it was when I got it from S&M in 1994 I know that is correct and I dont wanna change it.

I love the mk1 Holmes decal but Ive got that one on my chrome mk1 Holmes.

There are several other versions of the Holmes decal and it might be nice to use one of the others for this bike.

The mk2 up on bmxmuseum looks wicked and that is totally the decal I was thinking of using for this bike. The owner says its the ones that came on it so they might be right.

I guess I will wait to see what ones Clive has sent me and go from there.

Here are some pics of what Ive just been babbling about. Non of these decals are mine, just pictures Ive lifted from the net.

mk1 Holmes decal:

Molerterno Holmes decal:

Mk2 Holmes off bmxmuseum:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:48 PM by S&MAlex »

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46 PM »
im glad its you having to make the choice alex   
what ever it is, im sure it ill be the mutts

RyanPartridge

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Alex- That bmxmuseum Holmes is running 95/96 stickers...

I don't think there's any harm in going without stickers on this frame. Or maybe, just the Moliterno headtube sticker and an early seat tube sticker.

RyanPartridge

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 07:56 PM »
Here's the chrome one that's been on eBay for years with a ridiculous price tag...

It's got the Haro ripoff graphics and the Moliterno downtube graphics. My guess is it's original.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:58 PM by RyanPartridge »

SaMAlex

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Yep, another mk2 with the molerterno decals!

I was totally going to use the ones like the bmxmuseum Holmes, even in red. I got that picture of the white set earlier today! I think it looks great so I might go with them. It would mean getting some made tho so I will see what Clive has for me (and of course I will scan them in before using them, no probs)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59 PM »
looking kool alex, you was right on the choice of yellow :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 08:13 PM »
looking kool alex, you was right on the choice of yellow :daumenhoch:

Yes Dan, I think so too. It is a tiny bit white compaired to some of the S&M Yellows but they changed quite a few times so its hard to pin it right down. This frame is very very close to a set of yellow bars I have got, but lighter than a yellow dirtbike frame Ive got. Oh well, I love it.

Anyway Dan, we all know I could have chosen any old colour off the RAL chart and you would have made it look good!  :4_17_5:

teamsano

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 09:08 PM »
the holmes with the 'murray' rear end came with the haro race style graphics.  think it came out before the molesterno  graphics, as all those frames broke at the rear and they never made many. rarest holmes perhaps?

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Ive got an Invert Magazine with a Steve Geal interview in it. he is riding one of these Holmes frames in a cream colour, and its got the Molerterno decals on it. Ive also got a picture of Clymer doing a wallride at a Nor Cal indoor contest on a green mk2 Holmes with the same stickers.

Does anyone remember the Holmes decals with the tape measure running down the downtube and the cartoon of a very old looking John Holmes on the headtube? They would be a good one to use. Ive got the headtube sticker but nothing else.

dialledbikes

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 12:35 AM »

Mk2 Holmes off bmxmuseum:

The Holmes I bought new from Custom Riders in 1996 had these decals on it.

That will make a great OS legal race bike Alex  :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Ive got an Invert Magazine with a Steve Geal interview in it. he is riding one of these Holmes frames in a cream colour, and its got the Molerterno decals on it. Ive also got a picture of Clymer doing a wallride at a Nor Cal indoor contest on a green mk2 Holmes with the same stickers.
Does anyone remember the Holmes decals with the tape measure running down the downtube and the cartoon of a very old looking John Holmes on the headtube? They would be a good one to use. Ive got the headtube sticker but nothing else.

oh yeah, i remember gealls bike now!

i remember the holems stickers you mention as well, they came out in 93.

kcmobmx

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 08:18 PM »
that yellow looks great! I am refinishing my Holmes in yellow. I need some decals too.. I have some scans but still haven't been able to have any made..

SaMAlex

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 10:25 AM »
i remember the holems stickers you mention as well, they came out in 93.

Found it! I knew I had a photo of a bike with the tape measure Holmes decals on it. Ive also put the headtube sticker scan Ive got on there too, its not a picture on the wall!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mk2 Holmes build, started

gfxgfx
gfx gfx