gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rusty Frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rusty Frames  (Read 691 times)

Daletsunami

Rusty Frames
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Might seem like a stupid question but how much rust damage can be taken by a frame before it becomes unable to restore or is this the case? I may be getting a bike which has quite bad heavy rust but would be looking to strip and powder coat it anyway but am unsure whether it will effect the finish?

Cheers

Frosty

Re: Rusty Frames
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:30 PM »
post some pics up when you get it. Obviously if any sections are rusted through then more serious repairs may be necessary but if the bike is not going to be ridden this may not matter too much

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 03:32 PM »
if the rust has gone down to bare metal you can get all the chrome removed at a
chrome platers/polishers they reverse the plating proses and it all falls of.
then if still pitted you can use a filler primer before painting.

Daletsunami

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46 PM »

rarman1

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:29 PM »
you should be able to sand it out if it's pitted, just use course and work through to fine.

if the pitting is realy bad powder coaters can give it a first coat then sand that and then second coat it

jobs a goodun :daumenhoch:

2020mad

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Anything can be saved for paint if your ready to spend a bit of time on the prep work.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 12:30 PM »
It's similar to the condition of this...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110211832305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

whay kind of bike is it?

dont get too emotional is all i'll say..you can spend a lot of money fixing something that you should have thrown away and bought something else with the money....you may end up witha  better/cheaper finished article.

try and maintain sensibility!

Daletsunami

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I've taken your advice onboard and in the end i changed my mind, prob going to focus on a few projects i'm just starting and make sure i get those right before looking at more work.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rusty Frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx