gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 06:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  restoring aluminium frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: restoring aluminium frames  (Read 690 times)

jim m

restoring aluminium frames
« on: January 07, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Hi there,

I'm looking at restoring a few aluminium frames. i wanted to strip them and leave them bare, but I wondered whether this risks them corroding - is this true, and if so, does it really matter?

I've been told that applying clear coat lacquer to aluminium can be difficult, as it tends to go brown and not adhere so well

I remember that the PK Ripper's bare metal finish was described as 'ball burnished' - is that just a marketing phrase, or is that a polishing process?

has anyone tried anodising? anything else I've not thought of?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

Jim

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: restoring aluminium frames
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 09:42 AM »
i'm no expert but Aluminium doesn't corrode does it?  also i think the term 'ball bernished' is just the type of polishing proccess, thus finish on the frame.......i've had a nice GT MTB frame in the same finish and it's nice! 
don't know of any problems with clear coat though?  try talking to Superbikedan on here as he is the powder coating god  :daumenhoch:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:37 PM »
aluminium will corode but only if it is left outside to bare the elements and then only the surface will oxidise. Bare alu will be just fine for what you want.
ding dong

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:42 PM »
yep, correcto, Alu will corode if kept in the wrong environment...., just ask SSB Dan about my old Ripper !!

If it's painted then it should be fine as the paint will protect the alu,...., keep it as is until you decide what ya wanna do with it......and Dan';s the Powder coat man !  :)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

bigtimerob

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:37 PM »
"ball burnished" is when you blast the subject with broken up metal bearings, ie, through a sand blaster.

jim m

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think I'll strip it and leave it bare. I'd liketo add "like my women", but that would be almost totally untrue! ;)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:25 PM »
ive had an alloy frame nodised - its purple and look s amazing!

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:30 PM »
You can get alloy CLEAR anodised. Im not sure if it would be worth doing it to a whole frame, but I get small ally platework clear anodised all the time. It gives it a protective layer but also gives it a very clean, sligtly matt finish.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  restoring aluminium frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx