gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 04:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Very early 1985 GT Pro Performer resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Very early 1985 GT Pro Performer resto  (Read 791 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Very early 1985 GT Pro Performer resto
« on: January 07, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Afternoon lads. Had Rarman (rob) pop over yesterday for a chat and he had a look at this f/f of mine. Picked it up before Xmas off ebay for £175. The guy said it needed rechroming but once i'd seen it, I wasn't convinced it did. Yesterday I done the meter length of kitchen foil (not the shiny side) scrunched into a ball and a small glass of coke again. Once the decals were removed with a hair-dryer and wd40, I went to work on it. You may have seen the Haro Bars I did recently and those came up like new, and this GT has come up really well also. The chrome I'd say is 9/10, nearly perfect, certainly not worth a rechrome. After lots of rubbing and brasso wading cloth and autosol, its come up really well. I intend to build this and take it to MK this year. The blue headset will be sent off and anodised again soon and i've got a couple of bits coming from the states to complete it...

Now i'm after a new Decal set and also plastic hubbed Blue skyways. Everything else I have thanks to a few of you on here. Can't wait until its done!!! What do you reckon?

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Re: Very early 1985 GT Pro Performer resto
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Awesome fooking job dude.....and with all my knowledge of detailing cars and rebuilding them I didn't know about the foil and coke thing  ::)

I'll remember that one.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:23 PM »
those bars i have are made for that dude :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:29 PM by thebigdog »

munners

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:23 PM »
Stunning mate. Thats gonna be my last build when i eventually get one.  :smitten:

I just dont understand GT's. I thought the early ones had 3 holes in the rear drop outs?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Nick hi mate, yes this is EXACTLY what Rob said also, he was also confused about this too. It was made March 85 from the serial, but he reckons GT had bits made prior to this and then it was only welded up in March. Strange? Rob reckons it should have 3 holes due to the date and not 4 and also the way it curves near the seat tube post is early 84 and not 85. Quite unique I reckon and Rob thinks this also...  ;)

Big Dog, can't wait to have those bars off ya mate, they will go superb on this...  :daumenhoch:

fLA

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:02 PM »
NICE!!!!
very nice job indeed...
I have myself also a chrome GT PP 1985.  :smitten:

let us know.. the work in progress on that resto.

best regards,
fLAVIO  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Great find mate. Thats what i need.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:59 PM »

is the serial number on the rear drop out or on the bottom of the bb, also what is the serial number, nice clean up by the way

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:37 PM »

Hi mate,

Serial is on the rear dropout and is 3850428, Rob said that relates to March 85.

:daumenhoch:

is the serial number on the rear drop out or on the bottom of the bb, also what is the serial number, nice clean up by the way

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Very early 1985 GT Pro Performer resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx