gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  '78 cook bros
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: '78 cook bros  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: '79 cook bros
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 06:07 PM »
Ditch the CBR post?  Why?

Beautiful Bike for sure

masterstint

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 10:45 PM »
thanks guys, much appreciated, .... this is an awesome site and extremely well put together, thanks for the welcome, claude

Dennis Dain

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 04:33 AM »
WOW! I have never seen another Cook Bros like it.  ???

Well...what do I know? ;D

masterstint

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 07:17 AM »
Dennis,LOL...alright you were definitely the first one with the white cook, ..if you havent posted your pic on this site yet, throw it in here , im sure everyone would love to see that factory racer...., claude ;)

Dennis Dain

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Now Masterstint knows my intention here is purely fun. His build is absolutely beautiful. The time, energy and money he put into that Cook get nothing but praise from me. I think it is gorgeous.

On the other hand mine was originally red with gold ends, done that way by Gary Cook himself. Then in the mid 80s, with the help of Big Daddy Ralph Mundia, we rebuilt it this way for a vetrans race.

masterstint

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 10:49 PM »
 :4_17_5:  Dennis, that thing is awesome,,, what kind of handlebars are on it....i know when cook bros was sold in late '83 the new guy Jack W did a brief unsuccesful line of bmx bikes (still cook bros) and i was very fortunate to get frame/frk #24 recently...the handle bars he was making had a straight crossbar too....im gonna try like hell to source all the parts as they were on the production bike, but i think the cook pedals, bars (straight cross bar) will be toughest...and of course that straight seatpost or the layback without brace....i already have the cook cranks which are the dogbone design, '84 model, exactly like the ones on my '79---thats the logo on the arms Jack came up with...all the rest of the japenese parts are often available on ebay,,arayas,tange headset,tange seatclamp,sr aero stem(anyone got it?), comp 3 tires, etc.....it may not be "the most desirable cook bros version", BUT, i've never seen another one, so it will be rare....the white bike in photo is the one im gonna put together, and cook offered a "nicer" version with cook 3 peice cranks,bars,pedals, etc

Dennis Dain

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Masterstint, funny that you would ask about those bars.

Friday night I was at the Orange Y track to watch Stu take some practice laps and hang out with him for a bit. After he left, I was talking with Pat (trulyodd) and Andy (grayboy) as they were there taking some lung busting laps on thier side hack. The conversation turned to handlebars as we were talking about Star Bars. Of course in my stash I have a pair of those. They are not mounted on anything at the moment so I was comparing them to the ones on that Cook. Close, but not the same.

I cannot find any markings on the bars of that Cook. They do have a straight cross bar. They may very well be Cook. As I said, Ralph helped me with the build and I am sure he was still hooked up with Cook Bros. And now that I think of all this, Ralph hooked me up with a set of the 1st generation Cook cranks at that same time. They are currently on my 1980 mountain bike. ( I am doing a 3 bike crank shift shortly)

I am not familiar with any of the Cook stuff after the brothers sold out. Nice looking parts. Good luck with that build.

dj_benice

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 10:54 PM »
nicest looking 3pc/BB combo in my eyes the cook bros and always liked the extra mm  >:D  get em posted in the eye candy cranks thread with some nice close ups of the sealed bb :)

masterstint

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008, 11:45 PM »
Dennis, if you get a minute later and its doable for you, post a pick of the 1st generation cranks you have...ive got what i beleive to be 1st gens also and im always interested in the pics for comparison.........claude

Dennis Dain

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 03:20 AM »
Just made a note to self; close up pic of Cook cranks.

Fortunately I am on vacation this week so I will take some pics tomorrow and post soon after.

After posting my story above about the handlebars, I read a post on the OS site by Andy (greyboy) about his Ralphs Bike Shop Hustler. In the breakdown of parts he mentions he has Hustler bars on the bike. I still have my Hustler that I used when I came out of retirement to race for Ralph in the early 80s. I wonder if my bars are Hustlers? I will contact Andy and compare notes and bars.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Well done... OS-BMX Bike of the Year 2007  :daumenhoch:

Very nice :)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

se

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Really sweet bike that  :shocked:

Dennis Dain

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 01:16 AM »
Ok masterstint, here you go. Pictures are self explanatory.

masterstint

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008, 03:11 AM »
Sweet cranks Dennis, those are the first gens of Cooks Quality Products if im not mistaken...approximately 84-5ish im thinking,,,a little different then the ones i have but still really sweet...you said your switching out cranks soon? whats up?

Dennis Dain

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 04:18 AM »
I am going to put the original cranks back on that mountain bike. It is just a concrete comander now anyway. :)

I have a 1932 Columbia straight-bar 26" cruiser that is BMXed out, Cook slant stem, Cook forks, GT cruiser bars, stainless spokes, first generation pinchless Redline cranks. Great cruiser and wheelie bike. I have pictures but they are not scanned in at the moment.

The deal is I am gonna start a new build and I need the Redline cranks for it. So the Cook cranks are going on the that cruiser.

So it is a three way swap.

masterstint

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 08:48 AM »
post the pics when you get time! thats gonna be a cool lookin bike...i couldnt tell you what a '32 even looks like, LOL, interesting, claude

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 08:33 PM »
that is class claude pure class

Longun

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Mmmmmmm, 7b's..........drool.    OK, to be fair the whole bike is drool inducing but I lurve 7b's.

masterstint

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 04:16 AM »
thanks guys, i love the 7b's too...just got a mint set today in silver...they just look soooooo old school ;)
tefore, hot avatar!!

Dennis Dain

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2008, 05:21 AM »
masterstint,
post the pics when you get time! thats gonna be a cool lookin bike...i couldnt tell you what a '32 even looks like

Here is a picture of the cruiser as it was around 1980. It looks about like that now, just needs a good cleaning.

Wait till you see my next one...

DR VINOAH

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2008, 08:08 PM »
dennis

thats a real luverlee cruiser

and the cook slant stem
is it the "lightyears ahead of its time" intergral stem to fork combo?

masterstint

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 12:44 AM »
Dennis, that thing is trick!!  awesome looking withe the bmx parts, killer idea...looovvee the flights, nice touch bro!

Dennis Dain

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 12:51 AM »
Thanks V. Noah. It is a real cool cruiser.

and the cook slant stem
is it the "lightyears ahead of its time" intergral stem to fork combo?

The combo stem you are asking about was ahead of my time. ;D It came out a couple of years after I left the sport. (the 1st time)

That is just your basic Cook slant stem. ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  '78 cook bros

gfxgfx
gfx gfx