gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 04:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  How to lighten up my bike?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to lighten up my bike?  (Read 1867 times)

Horatio Snodgrass

How to lighten up my bike?
« on: December 01, 2005, 12:44 PM »
My daily rider is a Robinson SST just like the one Zippy has in the museum.  Has anyone got any ideas on which old school components to use to lighten it up a bit?  Nothing tooo expensive mind and none of this crap black modern shite.  Ive got a bit of an obsession on building a really lite race bike so I can do an Elliot and fly across the moon the next time I hit a berm.   Any ideas? I  was also wondering what the real lite bikes back in the 80's were?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: How to lighten up my bike?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:46 PM »
What spec you got it at now mate?

Welcome to BMX heaven ;)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Don't eat soo much before you go out and ride it? 8)

Horatio Snodgrass

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 01:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  Specs are 100% cromoly Robinson frame and forks, cromoly Robinson bars, cromoly seat post, crappy plastic seat, crappy plastic pedels (but lite!) sugino one piece crank, chainwheel and spider like the one on Zippys bike, Weimann alloy wheels (spokes), shopping basket, alien, rust, dirt and some dog poo on the front tyre (which is surprisingly heavy).  I was thinking that I could replace the seat/seatpost with one of those fibreglass integrated jobbies.  My knowledge is pretty poor as I was more of a child of the 90s (what a crap decade.....apart from Milli Vanilli)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:15 PM »
doesnt sound too heavy as is.....alloy post, or uni seat?
I want to touch ORB

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:16 PM »
to be honest mate, you aint getting that much lighter.

new frame and fork?

Alloy Bars?

Pro Class Rims?

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Milli Vanilli was 80's music :)

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 02:55 PM »
mime music....

Lawrie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Yep that sounds pretty light already to me.

All I can think of, appart from the Uni seat, is a one piece handlebar and stem, like the Haro bars, but good luck finding a set of those these days. Oh and if you're really anal about weight, remove all non-essential parts like the front brake, maybe even the dust caps. O.k now i'm being silly.  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :buck2:

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 03:30 PM »
You could go real old school and start drilling stuff?

Geth

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Get a modern aluminium race bike!? ;)

jon016847

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 04:38 PM »
This is on of the lightest i have come across from BITD ,  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:

Try any of these components on it ! :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

jon016847

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 04:42 PM »
On a  more serious note,  weight often comprimises integrity,  eg, you go for alloy cranks, you save weight but you dont get them same strnght,

you go for a uni seat with a fiberglass seatpost, and you land wrong and you will be wearing it up your  :Aresehole:

Renthal Bars were light and strong if I remebr correctly,   1.5 rims Araya aearos have good integrity and save weight,

Or as Orb suggested you could start drilling

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I wouldn't bother. I assume you are something other than a junior or a Spen and if you want to ride the bike it should be plenty light enough. There really isn't much to be shaved from an old school bike that will make a difference. You may as well cut your hair off and have a pooh for all the difference they will make.

AJWD

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:43 PM »
All this poo talk has got tommy the turtle popping his head out......just going to drop me kids off at the pool.........

Jazzchimp

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 05:47 PM »
Try taking the wheels off ;)

Welcome by the way, and get the beers in!!

Lawrie

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 05:49 AM »
On a  more serious note,  weight often comprimises integrity,  eg, you go for alloy cranks, you save weight but you dont get them same strnght,

you go for a uni seat with a fiberglass seatpost, and you land wrong and you will be wearing it up your  :Aresehole:

I know a guy that happened to, well it didn't actually go up his butt hole but the broken seatpost end, which was still in the bike, slashed his chest open. Saying that I love the old Uni seats and think they really capture the essence of old school. Worth a few stiches here and there I reckon.  :santa_afro:

Horatio Snodgrass

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 12:23 PM »
Thanks for the ideas fellas.  It seems that the main risk of a fibreglass seatpost is that I might end up doing a 'micheal barrymore' as they call it in showbuisness. 

Sounds like I should stick to the setup I have already got

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 07:03 PM »
Horatio ,

If you wanna go light & newschool I have a Staats Pro XXL frame in For Sale/Wanted ?

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Barrymore  :LolLolLolLol:  Hes supposed to be a wicked Killer Pool player isn't he?
Old School rides have(as a general rule) have thicker walled tubing hence the extra weight. You should be able to pick up an 80s Mongoose Supergoose III, Diamond Back Silver Streak or and early Redline f+f for less than £100. Z rims and Proclass rims are the way i would go. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay.
  Talking of oldschool drilling.... Does anyone remember the SJK Hurricane?

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 06:06 PM »
take it out for a drink and tell it to lighten up 'cause everything is goon be ok. :LolLolLolLol:

To be honest, if it is still heavy, take your ass to the gym and get stronger. A couple of hundred grams is not gonna make you that much faster.

welcome.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  How to lighten up my bike?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx