gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  preparing chrome?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: preparing chrome?  (Read 887 times)

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
preparing chrome?
« on: December 05, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Ok, so I got this heap of junk bike that's probably 90% rust anyhow, as the chrome is so shagged I'm going to paint it but what do I need to do to the chrome to get the paint to adhere? will sanding work?

gmac

Re: preparing chrome?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:55 AM »
Sanding will work, but you'll never get great adhesion (sp) There's nickel under the chrome, so you really need to get it dipped.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 11:01 AM »
And getting it dipped is easy peasy, and cheap as chips.

Just take it to your local chromer and say 'oi, maggot, strim yon chrome form this here frame'

And he will charge you about a deep sea diver to carry out said works.

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:59 PM »
Thanx guys, can't find any chromer people in my area so I might have to resort to heavy sanding and a self etching primer, I'm undecided about going for a flourescent pink frame with all black parts, might be a bit too girly for me tho, or maybe black and chrome with flames... ideas?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  preparing chrome?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx