gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 12:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  rotor <-> headset "clearance" issue
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: rotor <-> headset "clearance" issue  (Read 555 times)

fLA

rotor <-> headset "clearance" issue
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Hi to all,
after fitting the Gyro 2 in my GT PP, and after 5min.. I got my headset "loose"...
have anybody got the same problem?

any tips?

the set is:

regards,
fLAVIO

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: rotor <-> headset "clearance" issue
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Do you mean the headset came loose after 5 mins of riding?  If so, its likely that the cups were just settling in. Readjusting your headset should sort it out.  That gyro needs fiddling with though, you've not got it adjusted for the best performance at the moment.

Take a photo of it straight on from the front and I'll talk you through it   :)

fLA

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:26 AM »

I don t know if the picture will do the job... or you want a better close up?

and thank you for helping me.

fLAVIO  :daumenhoch:

fLA

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:10 PM »

ab, fLAVIO

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 06:05 PM »
Ok.  The pics are a bit small, but basically do this;

Start at the handlebars.

1.  if the cable is adjusted at the lever, then loosen it completely (wind it into the lever)
2.  your upper cable has an adjuster in the 2 into 1 bit.  Wind this all the way in.

You should now have a very loose crappy lever.

Go to the back of the bike.

3.  If you have adjusted the lower cable down by the brake itself, then wind that in all the way too.  (ie loosen it)

Basically, you're un-adjusting everything there is.

Your brake lever should feel like shit now.

Now go to the gyro itself.

4.  Start with the lower cable and wind both adjusters down equally, so that they are as far down as they will go without falling out. Do the locknuts up.  If you can't get the adjusters down because the brake goes tight, you need to loosen the pinch bolt and let a wee bit of cable through at the back.

5.  Go to the upper cable and wind both adjusters UP equally, as far up as they will go without coming out. Do the locknut up.

You brake lever should have some feel back in it now.

If the lever has any free play, take this out with the lever adjuster, but do not use this to tighten the brake overall.

If you need to tighten the brake overall, then go to the back of the bike and make your adjustment down there.

Now when you look at the gyro, it should have the biggest gap possible between the upper cable plate and the gyro bearing. This ensures that you cant pull the lever hard and 'top out' the gyro, if you know what I mean.

Once the cables have stretched in, make any further adjustments at the back of the bike closest to the brake.  Only use the lever adjuster if the lever itself developes any free play.

It sounds long and complicated, but follow the steps and it'll make perfect sense.  Do it any other way and you could be pulling that lever with all your might, and you'll just be stretching cables......   ;)

You could put a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil down those cables while you're there, they always need it- even from brand new.

Have a go and stick me another picture up once you're done   :)

fLA

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:01 PM »
tell me something... the cable position in the handlebar.. and were they "pass" are correct?
I will print your step by step and go and do it correctly this time.

thank you.  :daumenhoch:

fLAVIO

downhill3375

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:04 PM »
those instructions are bang on rob  :coolsmiley:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Cheers   :)   Reads a bit like War and Peace, but it's a tricky thing to explain....

Flavio, the cables are fine but I would say the upper cable is just a bit too short really.  You might struggle to find a longer one though these days. I wouldn't worry too much about it.  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  rotor <-> headset "clearance" issue

gfxgfx
gfx gfx