gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 05:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  King of Vert Mansfield
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: King of Vert Mansfield  (Read 3396 times)

bmxer4ever

King of Vert Mansfield
« on: December 16, 2007, 11:57 PM »
Just got these loaded onto photobucket tonight. Had to resize them a bit, but hopefully they'll come out ok.

Simon Tabron

Ollie Mattews

Jamie Bestwick....on a Ripper!

Jason Davies

Bestwick

Jason

Ollie

Jason

Mick Hudson

Jason

Ollie

Jason

Ollie

Bestwick

Scott Carroll

Tabron

Mick Hudson

Jason

Bestwick

Ollie

Mat Hoffman

12 feet out..??!!

First attempt at Fakie Flip...

2nd attempt...

First Flair ever on British soil....

I think all the UK boys were really going for it on the day.
Matt being there for the demo seemed to inspire everyone.
Some of those airs are as high as folk do today!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:20 AM by bmxer4ever »

Trev

Re: King of Vert Mansfield
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:13 AM »
Awesome pics Gary.  :daumenhoch:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your stash....

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:44 AM »
awesome pics :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

priv

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:46 AM »
great pics  :daumenhoch:

cheers

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:51 AM »
brilliant pics mate
nice one

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:05 AM »
fantastic pics again mate ,all these pics and the others need to go all together oneday   :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 02:04 PM »
good pics gazza!

my fave-

how clicked?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Great pic's again, please keep them coming  :daumenhoch:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:06 PM »
good pics gazza!

my fave-

how clicked?

Yeah - that's one of my favourites too! Jason was doing some great airs that day.
These are all posted in the order they were taken; you can see everyone boosting higher and higher as the day went on.
Any one of the high airs would not look out of place today. There's a good few at 10 foot easy!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 08:14 PM »
You sure that's James Hudson Gary?

Reason I ask is....he was never renowned for doing high airs and that would be high for him (not a criticism by the way) and I could be wrong but I'm sure he went right to left mate, or he did when I used to ride at their halfpipe in Retford. Their John went left to right though and he and younger bro Mick used to get much higher that James.

Could be completely wrong though dude...??????

Top pics again too.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

rosscoe

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 08:38 PM »
awesome.......and soooo long ago too.

Im with ya on the James thing, dont remember him riding that day either......

brilliant memories

christhejob

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 08:53 PM »
AS TIMING Would have it will evans was clearing out his loft and his mum prevented the throwing out of all the twenty zine master copies..  AND some UKBFA newsletters..  so a little delving shows the james hudson photos to in fact be junior MICK hudson, and yes, james indeed did air the other way.  he rode at mansfield too though. (not bad either)
your photos are great gary, i can place each air in the UKKOV section of the 20 vid!!

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:36 PM »
AS TIMING Would have it will evans was clearing out his loft and his mum prevented the throwing out of all the twenty zine master copies..  AND some UKBFA newsletters..  so a little delving shows the james hudson photos to in fact be junior MICK hudson, and yes, james indeed did air the other way.  he rode at mansfield too though. (not bad either)
your photos are great gary, i can place each air in the UKKOV section of the 20 vid!!

WEY HEY.....my memories not as damaged as I thought!!!

I was sure James went right to left and I was fairly sure it wasn't him in the pics but I couldn't make my mind up if it was Mick or John as they both had very similar riding styles, much different to James, but it's obviously difficult to tell with the helmet on etc. I think John might have stopped riding by then though...???

Fair play to Gary though...if you look at the first pic he has put a question mark at the side of the name.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 10:18 AM »
I see I started a bit of a debate there! Everything I've posted up has been completely from memory, so please feel free to correct anything. When I was uploading these pics, all I could think of was "Hudson" when I saw those shots - couldn't remember a first name at all!

I'll change James to Mick then shall I?!

By the way, why do I have a strange feeling that James won this comp, doing lots of lip tricks, but not many high airs???
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:22 AM by bmxer4ever »

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 10:41 AM »
I see I started a bit of a debate there! Everything I've posted up has been completely from memory, so please feel free to correct anything. When I was uploading these pics, all I could think of was "Hudson" when I saw those shots - couldn't remember a first name at all!

By the way, why do I have a strange feeling that James won this comp, doing lots of lip tricks, but not many high airs???

Aye....I wasn't having a dig Gary I just spent a lot of time with the Hudsons, Jason Ellis and Dave Slade bitd so I know their riding styles that's all dude. I'm not sure if James won but you're right, he could have, because he was a very gifted techy rider, loads of lip variations etc. but was never very high at airs. If I'm honest I thought John was the best of the bunch but he didn't compete much. He was the kind of black sheep of the family so he wasn't that into competition, probably why we got on so well. He had a raw style about him, high, smooth, brakeless back then, and he was doing completely upside down inverts before I saw anyone doing them. Someone must have the Action Bike or R.A.D. when they came up to the Hudson's because there's a pic of John doing one and it's awesome for it's time.

That's another point Gary, that rider could also be Jason Ellis because he went left to right and he used to do those one footers like that...??

Sorry, I'm confusing everything now aren't I, it's just Mick was never the tallest of people either  ::)

Darren.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:49 AM by Flatcap »

yoda

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 11:42 AM »
These are great pics, reminded me that I have a load of footage which I filmed on sony 8mm that day but dont currently have anyway of playing it or transfering it over....another Job for new year I suppose...

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 11:44 AM »
dave didnt you ride at this meet,i remember seeing pics of you at mansfield.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 12:29 PM »

Aye....I wasn't having a dig Gary I just spent a lot of time with the Hudsons, Jason Ellis and Dave Slade bitd so I know their riding styles that's all dude. I'm not sure if James won but you're right, he could have, because he was a very gifted techy rider, loads of lip variations etc. but was never very high at airs. If I'm honest I thought John was the best of the bunch but he didn't compete much. He was the kind of black sheep of the family so he wasn't that into competition, probably why we got on so well. He had a raw style about him, high, smooth, brakeless back then, and he was doing completely upside down inverts before I saw anyone doing them. Someone must have the Action Bike or R.A.D. when they came up to the Hudson's because there's a pic of John doing one and it's awesome for it's time.

That's another point Gary, that rider could also be Jason Ellis because he went left to right and he used to do those one footers like that...??

Sorry, I'm confusing everything now aren't I, it's just Mick was never the tallest of people either  ::)

Darren.  :daumenhoch:

That's ok dude - I didn't think you were!

(I try to express myself as clearly as possible and have learned not to read things into internet posts and text messages as both can be a really shi@tty way to communicate and ripe for misunderstanding, if you know what I mean (!)).

I'm quite happy for anyone to chip in and correct anything I post up as none of us can be expected to remember everything!
The more I think about it, it WAS Mick that did those Griz air one footers - seemed to be the only variation I can remember him doing for some reason!
If anyone's got a pic of John doin' that invert you were talking about, it would be cool to see.

Cheers, G

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 07:19 PM »
That's ok dude - I didn't think you were!

(I try to express myself as clearly as possible and have learned not to read things into internet posts and text messages as both can be a really shi@tty way to communicate and ripe for misunderstanding, if you know what I mean (!)).

Nee bovver dude, I didn't think you thought that I was having a dig, I just thought that maybe you thought I was so I thought I'd mentioned it to save you thinking that I thought you thought I was.....does that make sense??

:LolLolLolLol:

Daz.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:46 PM by Flatcap »

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 07:33 PM »
thats all clear then Daz :LolLolLolLol:

Dont forget yer stunt pumps tomorrow  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

rosscoe

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 07:54 PM »
If anyone's got a pic of John doin' that invert you were talking about, it would be cool to see.

iTS ON ITS WAY...jUNE 87....RIOT IN TRUMPTON

also shows Mr Ellis doing a griz air just like the one in the photie.........

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 07:57 PM »

iTS ON ITS WAY...jUNE 87....RIOT IN TRUMPTON

also shows Mr Ellis doing a griz air just like the one in the photie.........

Coolio!

I was there that day too, should be a pic of Sid doing a BB grind for the first time and also Mick doing a No-Hander at 13!

The more I think about that pic the more I think it is Jason Ellis

Look forward to them mate.

rosscoe

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Daz

copy on the scanner and the scanner has just buggered on me, so trying to sort it all out now...

Sids opowermower blunt, Stu Horner bs boneless, Ell's alleyoop turndowns which were the bizness

I was there also.....and my bit is nearer the back of that issue.........

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Daz

copy on the scanner and the scanner has just buggered on me, so trying to sort it all out now...

Sids opowermower blunt, Stu Horner bs boneless, Ell's alleyoop turndowns which were the bizness

I was there also.....and my bit is nearer the back of that issue.........

So we must obviously know each other or at least met on that day??

I rode with Stu, Sid, Jake, Ell, Dino, Mekon etc. etc.

Got to agree on Ell's alleyoop turndowns...they were awesome...it was about then that Ell just made massive improvements as a rider from being a fairly steady rider....he just overnight found his thing. I remember one morning at the Hudsons's him airing 2' out and by the end of the day he went on to doing 6' airs....massive improvement.

Wasn't Stu on rollers?

Daz.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 09:28 PM by Flatcap »

rosscoe

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 08:32 PM »
yea, turned up on rollers but got a photo on a bike........

I was a guest up there that day, Nottingham based......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  King of Vert Mansfield

gfxgfx
gfx gfx