gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What about best resto of the year
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What about best resto of the year  (Read 820 times)

login_user

What about best resto of the year
« on: December 14, 2007, 03:46 PM »
I was thinking, why not have best resto of the year,as much more effort goes into that.it's easy to do a nos bike (if you can find the parts)Although they are awsome  and enter it into bike of the year. Not a dig at anyone just my personal opinion.  :daumenhoch:

snav69

Re: What about best resto of the year
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Seems like a good idea  ;)
I also think that if people enter a bike in bike of the year they should still own it and not sold it on  ???
just my thoughts on it  ;)

darkersomeday

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21 PM »
by that reckoning there would have to be a "best non resto"  aswell,

i feel it would get like the oscars with sections for everything and the "bike of the year" would lose its sparkle,

the "pos of they year" idea was only for a bit of a laugh, i little "counter culture" :LolLolLolLol:

i totally agree about the bike being owned by the builder though :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 09:34 AM »
what if the builder built it this year and then stripped it...ie winnets?

the bike is more than worthy so i think suitable for entry?

snav69

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:57 AM »
I know what your saying JT but what happens if the new owner wants to enter the bike that he bought but the original builder has posted it ? Do we have 1 bike owned by 2 seperate people entered  :-\
Like i have said in the Bike of the year thread , my comments aren't aimed at anyone or their bike , its just my opinion and i don't want anyone getting upset with them  :daumenhoch:

:coolsmiley:

ps - Wheres your entry to BOTY JT , you've had some crackers this year  :)

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 10:04 AM »
am stumped..just finishing what i think will be it...might revisit something i done already, tweak it and enter that instead!

got a couple of days to descide!

snav69

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I feel ya' pain  ::)
If i had some of your bikes i'd be fooked as to what to enter too :-\
No doubt its gonna be a cracker whatever you decide  :daumenhoch:

:coolsmiley:

gt0733

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 10:20 AM »
i like that resto of the year. it takes maybe a couple of hours to build a bike out of NOS bits but a couple of months to restore old parts. this effort should be rewarded  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 10:22 AM »
i like that resto of the year. it takes maybe a couple of hours to build a bike out of NOS bits but a couple of months to restore old parts. this effort should be rewarded  :daumenhoch:

It could take years to source NOS parts though! :buck2:

Im totally for the restoration bike of the year.  ;)

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Define resto?

cos we have been here before and its too hard to split resto and non resto
IE , if my ripper was entered then as far as I am concerned its a resto, its had major work to the frame, yet some parts are NOS
so how do you define it, if one part was restored and rthe rest of the bike was NOS this should still be inc ?

Hard to split

munners

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 10:33 AM »
Define resto?

cos we have been here before and its too hard to split resto and non resto
IE , if my ripper was entered then as far as I am concerned its a resto, its had major work to the frame, yet some parts are NOS
so how do you define it, if one part was restored and rthe rest of the bike was NOS this should still be inc ?

Hard to split

I think resto should be the whole bike (all parts) restored. Having one part NOS is not a resto project is it? God its anal this game.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 05:23 PM »
A Best Resto class would be cool and some others but I think Rad have got it right with just having "Bike of the year".

After the first round of judging people must be sat wondering why their bike did not make it through. If there were 10 sections there would be more unhappy people.

There are so many factors in play when people vote, you might have always wanted a Ripper when you were a kid and therefore pick a Ripper over something else that is built better. You might like Chrome and hate Dayglow colours, you might dream of owning something that you can not justify spending that much on and one of the bikes has that bit on. You might know how rare something is and pick it because of that.

Its almost a shame that there has to be a winner, so many of the bikes this year are amazing.

I am sure there will be one super happy person, a few who feel like they have been robbed and some more that moan about the result even though they did not even enter a bike, Its just the way people are.

munners

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I also think that there could be 2 sections for bike of the year. Freestyle bike and Racing set up bike. Then the 2 go head to head.  :shocked:

gt0733

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 12:58 AM »
i'd define resto as finding survivor parts and reconditioning them including soft parts. pads can be thrown in the washing machine and frayed hems re-sewn, or new velcro sewn in, the foam tubing is available from lots of hardware places. tyres can be restored with stuff that's available from auto stores. how many chains have been tossed because it was too difficult to chuck them in a bucket of diesel for a week? old parts that have faded anno can be plonked into caustic and polished up (many have done this) there are paints available now that look as cool as anno as well, so there's no need to run just with polished components or with the expense of re-annodizing.
a lot of it comes down to laziness, of which i'm guilty of myself. basically it's easier to spend big dollars (er....pounds, euro's) on NOS than spend big time polishing and sanding and painting.
self satisfaction could be a huge motivator especially if the results are rewarded.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What about best resto of the year

gfxgfx
gfx gfx