gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Put yourself in my shoes, help needed please chaps.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Put yourself in my shoes, help needed please chaps.  (Read 921 times)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Put yourself in my shoes, help needed please chaps.
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:23 PM »
After twenty years out of the BMX scene, i have decided that next years project will be to reclaim an old school frame and forks and do it up slowly. Obviously time and money will reflect how quickly it will be achieved.

So, i'm after some info please chaps, if you were me and had pretty much forgotten everything you used to know, what would you be looking for bike wise ??

Diesel on here has given me a short list of frames to look for but i haven't heard of some of them.

I'm currently watching a Haro Group 1 F+F set from 1986 ?, although when i raced he only really made Freestylers that i can remember.
What i really want is a Diamond back or a GJS. I see one of the chaps on here is selling his Harry Leary, awsome bike, would love that but i don't think my Royal Mail bonus this year will spread that far and also the wife would pretty much rip my trick nuts off and ram them down my throat.
So guys, what should a beginner be looking for???????????????

Although if a full bike does come up that i could probably afford, i might be tempted to buy rather than build.

EDIT>>>> What does nos mean ??
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:27 PM by Southern Andy »
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

motomagII

Re: Put yourself in my shoes, help needed please chaps.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 08:28 PM »
plenty of lower budget bikes about or frames etc .i just built gt up at reasonable cost.look through the museum choose few fraes you like and then ask for rough price etc on here youll get plenty of help from everyone.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:29 PM »
NOS = New Old Stock .

A much incorrectly overused saying .

Diamond Back will be cheaper to build than GJS , most GJS are in the US & command high prices .

bof

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:35 PM »
How about this its not a gjs I know but still very nice.
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=50222.0

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:44 PM »

Sorry bof, i must of quit racing when this came out, i've never heard of a Free agent, (embarrassed look) although there is a light blue one on Flea bay that looks very nice for sale, about £75 but it now i think. Its in Hampshire aswell.

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 08:47 PM »
NOS = New Old Stock .

Diamond Back will be cheaper to build than GJS , most GJS are in the US & command high prices .

So the GJS i used to race that is the piccy in my avatar would be worth a few quid now???  :-(

Diamond Back was my first race bike, so it has a big place in my heart hence why i would like one.

motomagII

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:52 PM »
the ebay freeagent is mini cruiser not pro frame too small for ya .you have pm

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 09:15 PM »
TBH i dont think you can go wrong with a mongoose for your first build. Nice bike and plenty of parts kicking around.

Paul

KGB Matt

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:27 AM »
Firstly ......It all depends on how tall you are .

Most 82 - 86/7 bikes wount be long enough for you if you are over 6 foot. :(

Then keep a look out and see what comes up.

Matt

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 07:51 AM »
Either Gooses or Burner's are a safe bet to start with... both of those bikes have plenty of parts kicking about...  ;)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 09:23 AM »
NOS = New Old Stock .

So the GJS i used to race that is the piccy in my avatar would be worth a few quid now???  :-(

Diamond Back was my first race bike, so it has a big place in my heart hence why i would like one.

Diamond Back makes sense on sentimental grounds , GJS are more desirable/valuable in the US rather than the UK ( I would'nt mind one though ! lol ) .

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 09:27 AM »
first build is either gonna be a true expensive classic which will cost ya 1500 upwards or ya can go for gt,mongoose,diamond back,bit easier to build and costs are sumwhat lower too.
whatever ya do enjoy and in my view ride the damn things too as i do and love riding again .

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 09:43 AM »
I'd start with a bike you know from BITD, and agree that a DB would be a good start. Yes, Harry Leary's go for a premium, but there are a lot of other nice DB Framesets about, such as a Silver Streak or a Senior Pro, but the main thing is build it to how you want it, and the parts that you like,...

Good luck !
Matt
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 12:28 PM »
I guess you really have to ask yourself why you're getting back into it and what floats your boat.

My first BMX was a DB Pro-Star in 1982, followed by a Silver Streak and for me my starting point was to source where it all started, my Pro-Star.

I was not interested in owning a make I'd never heard of or indeed a model that was perceived as 'look what I have', it was about rekindling.

Since then my interest and passion (obsession) have driven me build a collection that I am proud of and have since dedicated to a name that produced some of the most iconic models in BMX

So I'd say go for something that you can associate with and more important than anything, you enjoy.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 01:40 PM »

Sorry bof, i must of quit racing when this came out, i've never heard of a Free agent, (embarrassed look) although there is a light blue one on Flea bay that looks very nice for sale, about £75 but it now i think. Its in Hampshire aswell.

I think that frame and forks be our staces? hes a memeber on here..........its a shame as i had a nice little CW Z1500 racer

that i sold for £125-150?? I think it was about that much? not that long ago,that would have done you a treat mate i think,i will keep em peeled for you(wink)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Cheers guys, some very helpful replys there. As per my height, i'm about 5.10 so a pro bike should be just fine i think.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:

gossa

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 08:45 AM »
Andy ,

Here ya go  ;) ................................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-School-GJS-BMX-Competition-Racing-Frame-Kit-Race_W0QQitemZ260193916631QQihZ016QQcategoryZ64644QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Matt

Andy ,

Did you not have a go on this ? , went for very good price & UK shipping too ! .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Put yourself in my shoes, help needed please chaps.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx