gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  dumb question - non mechanic - non regular poster
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: dumb question - non mechanic - non regular poster  (Read 1085 times)

unworthypapalazaru

dumb question - non mechanic - non regular poster
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Hello radders

I posted on this forum a couple of years ago a did a good deal to get a Haro freestyler!  Im back now cause I need help.  I just bought a wee Junior bike for a friends kid from Winstanleys bmx.  They posted it to me and its in bits, more than any other bike I have bought, normally I just put the peddels on and turn the handlebars round.  That is my  level of mechanical skills.

Anyway, ive managed to get most things attached, but I cant get the front wheel on!  there are two nuts on either side of the hub and they are locked tight.  I cant shift them and the wheel wont fit into the fork with them there.  Are they meant to be there?  Should I stretch the fork to fit?  or should I get them removed?  The reason I ask is that the back wheel has the same bolts and they are still tight to the hub with the other nuts fastening the wheel.

Total dumbass question, but I hope you can help. Also, as it is so dumbass and I have just popped on here after registering years ago, feel free to mock me.

Cheers

UPL

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: dumb question - non mechanic - non regular poster
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Post a pic so we can see the problem, you dumbass!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Welcome back.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Sounds like the bearing cone nuts.  If your talking about just a couple of millimetres or summat, then yeah, open the forks a tadge.  If its a budget bike you should be able to pull the forks part by hand and pop the wheel in.

Be aware, if you tighten these nuts together you will crush the bearings and the wheel wont spin smoothly.....

Welcome back.

I'm not as brave as Jim, so I'm not gonna call you a dumbass   ;)

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Good to see this community still going!

I think you may be right about 'cone nuts'.  It is a budget bike, a Blank Hustla. 

It certainly looks more than a few mil, probably the size of the nuts themselves.  I tried to post a photo but it didnt work, do I have to host elsewhere first?

Cheers

UPL

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 04:29 PM »
yeah you gotta use photobucket etc first then link to here

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31 PM »
yeah you gotta use photobucket etc first then link to here

ok mate, will do.

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 04:36 PM »

The ones on the inside. Im pretty sure they should stay where they are!

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 05:19 PM »
try your local bike store (halfords etc), they look quite fat you should be able to get thinner lock nuts.

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 05:48 PM »
try your local bike store (halfords etc), they look quite fat you should be able to get thinner lock nuts.

On closer inspection, i dont think the nuts are the problem, it looks like the forks are bent!  To be honest the bike hasnt arrived in a pristine condition, there are a few scrapes here and there.  Has anyone bought off Winstanleys before, are they any good cause this looks like it will be getting returned.

Cheers for your suggestions

UPL

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 05:53 PM »
nnoooooooooooooooooooooo winstanleys are the one and only worst bmx shop in the world .there customer service is pathetic and they are just really bad at everything totally

Trev

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 05:56 PM »
I bought a Haro Sport from Winstanleys about a year ago. The bars were scratched to fook and the fork bolt was broken.  Their aftersales care was useless.  They said they never had replacement bits in and said I had to wait for them to come in. Kept chasing them every few weeks and same story. Got bored after a few months. Heard nothing back since. Since then I just put it down to bad experience and will never buy from them again and I don't recommend them at all to anyone.  I know a lot of other people on here have also had bad experiences with them.  

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Hello radders

I posted on this forum a couple of years ago a did a good deal to get a Haro freestyler!  Im back now cause I need help.  I just bought a wee Junior bike for a friends kid from Winstanleys bmx.  They posted it to me and its in bits, more than any other bike I have bought, normally I just put the peddels on and turn the handlebars round.  That is my  level of mechanical skills.

Anyway, ive managed to get most things attached, but I cant get the front wheel on!  there are two nuts on either side of the hub and they are locked tight.  I cant shift them and the wheel wont fit into the fork with them there.  Are they meant to be there?  Should I stretch the fork to fit?  or should I get them removed?  The reason I ask is that the back wheel has the same bolts and they are still tight to the hub with the other nuts fastening the wheel.

Total dumbass question, but I hope you can help. Also, as it is so dumbass and I have just popped on here after registering years ago, feel free to mock me.

Cheers

UPL

So have you still got that lovely 84 Sport  :)

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 06:06 PM »
Hello radders

Cheers

UPL

So have you still got that lovely 84 Sport  :)

Still got it!

Not so good to hear about the Winstanleys stories.  Thankfully (and this backs up the dumbass bit) it wasnt purchased there, I thought it was, turns out it was Extreme Direct.  Idiot.  I should really engage the brain before posting.

Thanks for all the help, Extreme Direct are getting a call tomorrow....

Cheers

UPL

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 07:12 PM »
those inner nuts are way too big.

just get rid of them.

cone nuts should be around 3mm thick.
I want to touch ORB

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32 PM »
and considering it was bought as a whole bike ,you knda think it should just slot straight in

Rich

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 07:49 PM »
and considering it was bought as a whole bike ,you knda think it should just slot straight in

Rich

Exactley what I thought.  All the main tubes and the forks had cardboard wrapped round them to protect it in transit and I wasnt going to remove it while i put it together.  Taking them off made the problem obvious.  I hope I can get it returned and back for christmas.

Cheers

UPL

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Bike was replaced without question!  New one is here and the wheel is on.  Now Im trying to fix/install the brakes.  Im old school, whats all this gyro stuff all about!  The instructions would be as well being printed in japanese.  Brakes have never been my strong point.  Got the front one wired up and it does stop the wheel spinning, but it doesnt spring back into its oringinal position very well.  Any suggestions?

I'll try the back gyro tomorrow - please expect photos and questions! 

Might be as well visiting the bike shop...

djgivvinup

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Bike was replaced without question!  New one is here and the wheel is on.  Now Im trying to fix/install the brakes.  Im old school, whats all this gyro stuff all about!  The instructions would be as well being printed in japanese.  Brakes have never been my strong point.  Got the front one wired up and it does stop the wheel spinning, but it doesnt spring back into its oringinal position very well.  Any suggestions?

I'll try the back gyro tomorrow - please expect photos and questions! 

Might be as well visiting the bike shop...

In my humble opinion you need to stick some oil down the outer cable, take the inners out of the cables stick some oil down them, it should make the brakes pull a lot easier, basically lubricate any moving parts to the brake except the blocks obviously!
Oh and the more bends in the cable the harder it will be for it to return to its original position.
Hope that helps  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 08:32 PM by djgivvinup »

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 09:32 PM »
I absolutely and totally HATE winstanleys. They are the sh**est bike shop ive ever laile ordered from. Bought some FSA cranks once, they sold me a pair that, although marked right and left, actually had right hand pedal thread on each arm - they insisted that FSA were to blame and I had to take it up with FSA - I had to literally threaten them withthe small claims court stating that they had in fact sold me a faulty item and it was their duty to replace - finally after 6 weeks they replaced them for me, and I made a mental note to NEVER EVER grace them with my money again. Complete and utter useless ba**ards.
Sorry - hit upon a raw nerve there!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 12:15 AM »
An owner/manager typre person is a member on here, she used to get involved a bit and did for a time, seem quite willing to try and put things right.  Shame she didn't keep it up really, there's a decent marketplace right here on this forum these days.

Nevermind. Her loss.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  dumb question - non mechanic - non regular poster

gfxgfx
gfx gfx