gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 08:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Am i F*****d???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Am i F*****d???  (Read 2025 times)

Frosty

Re: Am i F*****d???
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 03:37 PM »
didn't think of the dremel and I have one of them and the bendy extention thing, must dig out hub

gossa

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 12:53 AM »
WOAH, STOP!!!!!

A mountain bike cassette is completely different to a BMX freewheel.  You just have to undo the cassette lockring away from the freehub body using a chainwhip to hold the CASSETTE and a lockring tool to undo THE LOCKRING.

My advice?  take it to a bikeshop, they should have ot off in 5 mins and a decent chainwhip and lockring tool are a big cost for a one off job. Otherwise, clamp the non drive side axle into a vice (preferably using specific axle grips) just to give you a nice working platform.  Then hold the cassette in one of the middle sporockets and simply hold in place while you undo the lockring. DO NOT CLAMP THE HUB BODY, YOU'LL PROBABLY SQUASH IT!

With a BMX hub, do as others have suggested, rebuild the non drive side to give you the leverage from the rim. HOWEVER as also rightly pointed out, the bullseye hubs are made of multiple pieces so you need to try and rebuild on the drive side if you can, if you can't get spokes through (although with a bullseye flange and a 16T freewheel, you should be able to rebuild the drive side.  If not, as others suggested, destroy freewheel in vice and remove that way.

Frosty

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Gossa,

I have a whip and removal tool and had already tried before taking to a local race bike shop (who are very good) but still no luck. I think the dremel is coming out this weekend!!

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Been watching this closely before having a go at me Bullseyes. I really dont wanna kill them in 25 mins after having survived 25years at me moms!

May have a go at the weekend..(Gulp!)

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 07:58 PM »
practice on that grinder because they jump and don't get lazy and rush. TBH, you are probably better gripping the cogs in the vice and leaving the hub out of the way.
ding dong

gossa

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 11:34 PM »
Gossa,

I have a whip and removal tool and had already tried before taking to a local race bike shop (who are very good) but still no luck. I think the dremel is coming out this weekend!!

Frosty, why not clamp the cassette in the vice (mashing the cassette) and then undoing the lockring? Sounds like you've tried a lot of things though, some twat with gorilla forearms must have tightened that one!

Frosty

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 09:14 AM »
I can't think straight this morning, if I do that will the hub body still turn???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Am i F*****d???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx