gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Cures for a badly crimped seat tube...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cures for a badly crimped seat tube...  (Read 723 times)

roadtoad

Cures for a badly crimped seat tube...
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Just got this Cobra frame from Australia and I need some advice on what to do with the seat tube.

As you can see from the photos (sorry still not worked out how to post photos yet !) it has been badly crimped where the seat clamp tightens. It also looks as though the tube has been shortened or broken off as the 'slot' to allow the seat clamp to compress the frame onto the seat post is not there.

My thoughts were to level the tube up and try to knock out the pinch points then file a new slot, but I am worried that there is not enough tube showing....or am I better off getting a new seat tube cut in by a frame builder or just get a slightly wider tube diameter patch fitted above the gusset to reinfroce the bit of tube thats still there...

If the recommendation is to go for some metalwork, does anybody know a good pipe guy out Teddington / Middlesex way ?

Thanks for looking !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14203110@N08/2369506086
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14203110@N08/2369509802

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Cures for a badly crimped seat tube...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:24 AM »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:40 AM »
Looks like the tube needs taking out and replacing, Fuzzynod's mate would be a good start - take a look at the work he did on Romblokes Haro Freestyler restoration :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:59 PM »
i would try and keep the repair as small as possible rather than disturb the original weld,i did this to my mrd mini and it worked fine,i just used a small bit of tube the same diameter and carefully welded it in then carefully ground the outer and inner tube to remove weld ;)
British race frames and race clothing wanted

roadtoad

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:02 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Kuwahero !

And thanks for the advice guys - I like the 'keep it small' approach in particular - I guess that as long as the seat post is pretty deep inside the seat tube and below the gusset there won't be too much stress on the to bit. Might have a go at that....

Cheers all !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Cures for a badly crimped seat tube...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx