gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What complete for an 8yr old ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What complete for an 8yr old ?  (Read 621 times)

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
What complete for an 8yr old ?
« on: December 05, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Gents,

A mate wants to buy a complete for his 8yr old son. It would be his first bmx, any suggestions?

What are the wethepeople 18" like?

Ta
Stace  :)

munners

Re: What complete for an 8yr old ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Ive got an 8 year old mate and he is tall too. Go for a 16inch imo.  ;) 18" will do perfect as well though.

JT71

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 02:25 PM »
DK General Lee? if I was 8 I'd love this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DK-General-Lee-16-BMX-Bike_W0QQitemZ290069124888QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

same seller has a Stolen Nipper 16" too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STOLN-NIPPER-16-BMX-FREE-STYLE-BIKE_W0QQitemZ290181534832QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

they seem quite a lot of cash for a 16" though, but better than some of that cheapo stuff that's around.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 02:28 PM »
My boy has a wtp nova 18" (just turned 6) he loves it and its perfect for him, and you can lighten it up as his riding gets better, 12t freewheels are available if you he   :LolLolLolLol: wants micro gearing so it is well and truly pimpable after the new bike novelty wears off.

You will struggle to get one for xmas though,unless the shop has stock cos hot wheels aint got any till Jan/feb  :daumenhoch:

Gt do an 18" also-El centro again no stock till Feb
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:31 PM »
IMO 18" is too small.

This for racing

A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Tony

what do you say an 18 is too small?  I haven't got a clue tbh, my cousins boy is 7 and still rides a 16"  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Tony

what do you say an 18 is too small?  I haven't got a clue tbh, my cousins boy is 7 and still rides a 16"  :-\ :-\ :-\

nikki wrote that Stace, I will get her to answer in a sec, but her 7 yo boy rides a 20" and he is a small 7 y.o. and he is more than happy on it :daumenhoch:

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 02:52 PM »
OK Cool!

munners

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I think it is easier for them to try simple tricks on a 16" than a 18"and 20". I did my son an orange GT that people was at MK and it is just too heavy and big for him. My mates son has a 16" that my boy rides and it is perfect for him.

Opinion again!  ;)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Stace,

Soz for confusion re the post.

My small 7 y/o rides a 20" wheel GT speed series Junior, fits lovely, the 9 year old also rides a 20"wheel but expert to Pro size frame.

A 16" or 18" wheel will last no time at all, found that out to my expense a few years ago buying matching 16" and 18" GT's :'( lasted 6 months.

Check GT's website for 20" expert bikes, mine had Mach 1's, they're not too heavy and r race ready, they're a good price and if they get hacked around it aint too expensive to be replaced in a coupla years time :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 04:23 PM »
i just thought of a good question, whats the intended use cos ratty/nikki have sound advice for racing, my advice is for street bashin and general trickage, so best to decide cos an expert race bike wont be good for smashing up kerbs and skatepark abuse and likewise a steel steet bike is not so hot for race tracks. Just a thought  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 04:29 PM by 94 performer »
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 05:28 PM »
get the hoffman 18/20 as he grows stick 20's on it
as the frame is built for both wheelsets

Offline Stace

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I'm guessing trix !?

thesku11s

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 11:41 PM »
I remember being a little kid on a bike.

I had a night light nimble 16" bike so I fell in love with bikes.

Other kids had heavy bikes that were too big for them, they learned to hate bikes.

Ive had a feel of some new school 16" bikes made by the big bmx names : mongoose , haro etc

I must tell you they are killer overbuilt , made out of scaffold tubes.

I struggle as an adult on one and would feel sorry for any little kid stuck with a heavy clunker.

The kids more likely to be able to pull some tricks on a 16"

Whatever the case id make sure to get something well designed and light. Something all the race bikes seem to be.

All the little freestyle bikes are awful awful things.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 03:37 AM »
The problem with these little ramp bikes is they are so heavy. My son has a haro Mirra 16 and it weighs a ton. If you plan to let him loose on the ramps or parks you really have no other choice but if it's tracks or trails i'd follow Nikki's good advice and go for a mini as i wish i'd done cos my boy only does what his dad does and that's all on the dirt.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 09:36 PM »
Stace where are you based. I now have 3 16inch bikes in my possesion, all different.
My 6 1/2 year old lanky git, is now on a Hoffman Scarab 16 and got on fine today at Skateram only got it Thursday. weight around 26lbs with no pegs or front brake. 16 inch top tube. £180
He was riding a 2004 GT Bestwick pro HEEEAAAVVVY even with gyro, front brakes removed, pegs cut down 17 inch top tube, he could jump off a ramp no problem but hops and wheelies were really hard.14mm axles allround. Ebay buy.
He really likes riding his little brothers GT MACH ONE, 15 1/2 inch top tube, 10mm axles, think I paid £90, but it weighs about 22 lbs. so he is able to throw it around abit

He was riding around today with a kid on 18 WTP, which to be honest looked to big for my son, weight wise felt OK. nice components though.

If your not to far away I'm based in Chigwell, Essex so could arrange to try them.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What complete for an 8yr old ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx