gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 03:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  starting out racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: starting out racing  (Read 998 times)

kickdown

starting out racing
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:44 PM »
Hey all

Thinking of giving racing a bash in the new year been racing mx for 16yrs but 2 pretty bad crashes within a year are putting me off right now! I live in Newmarket so guess Roysten Rockets are my nearest club? Also the gear what sort of helmet is required i have a few arai mx lids are these ok? Also whats the rules with bikes if any atall? if people could give some good advice it will be much apreciated

Jason

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: starting out racing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:40 PM »
helmet{full face preffered}arms and legs covered,and a bike.simple.

i raced my 1st race last year at bullwell{notts} and was hooked,give it a go, have a laugh and talk to people who are also racing to get tips at the track.

there's quite a lot of racers on here who are more helpfull then me,i'm sure they'll help you out

priv

Moschops

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42 PM »
Hi Jason,

Milton Keynes is only an hour away from you as well, but yeah Royston is about half that I suppose.

MX lids are fine to start with, once you get into it you may want to progress to something a little lighter.

As for bikes there are two classes 20" and Cruiser(24")
most people who come back into the sport opt for the cruiser first as its a bit more forgiving, but to be honest its less fun.

as you will se from recent threads the general opinion at the momentis get a dialled bike www.dialledbikes.com
These are frame only and will need building up but this can be done on a resonale budget if you source used items.

My dialled only cost me £375.00 to build up and its worth twice that. see this thread http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=48839.0

If you cant be bothered with all that and want an off the shelve bike I would look at GT and Redline.

www.mkbmx.com

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46 PM »
If you want to start racing in a smaller and easier way consider joining in with the Old school class, same thing except a slower pace on old bikes, the banter is a right laugh. Once you do a season of old school then have a look at new school :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

kickdown

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:05 PM »
thanks for the replys so far via here and pm, im on the look out for a frame and looking to build a trails/race type build that i hope i can ride both on in the early days, the ones in the link looks good to me,
mk is about an hour for me i passed it this year when i went to the mx track just beside it, doesnt sound to hard to get ready for racing should hopefully be fit by feb and easily have everything ready to get out and have ago by then!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:04 PM by kickdown »

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Hi Kickdown

I'm in the same position as you, I've had a 20 year break. My local track is Chesterfield, but looking to get back into the cruiser class (to old and fat to ride 20"). I like the look of the SE Floval Flyer 07. Has anyone rode or have one of these bikes ?
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Frosty

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:37 PM »
I don't think the os series is ageist or fatist, there wouldn't be many riders otherwise :2funny:

That is incidentally something on my new years resolution list - do a race and attend a rad mtg

64 SPLITVAN

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:23 PM »
HI THERES PRACTISE ON AT ROYSTON SUNDAY 10-12 COME AND HAVE A GO :daumenhoch:

kickdown

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:15 PM »
would love to but cant due to injury ill be back on a bike early march if all goes well, do they run practice very often?

64 SPLITVAN

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 08:11 PM »
YER CHECK OUT THERE WEB SITE WWW.ROYSTONROCKETS.CO.UK WHERE YOU WILL FIND PRACTISE DATES
BY MARCH/APRIL TUESDAY NIGHT CLUB NIGHTS WILL BE STARTING AGAIN 8)

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 03:13 AM »
Sorry to jump in here, but i'm sure the answers given may help the original poster anyway and i didnt want to encourage a rash of n00b topics cluttering the forum.... i've just been offered a Redline Pro XL for 240 quid - the bike is as new,looks great,is a 2006 model - mate of mine is emigrating and not taking it with him.

My question - I'm just under 6'1" - would this bike be alright for me to have a crack at racing?

I dont wanna really spend big money only to find out i'm not really up for it race wise..

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Pro XL (usually around 21" to 21.25" top tube length) should fit, but best thing to do is try it, as sizes differ from bike to bike.  I ride a 21.5" cruiser which feels spot-on, but for some reason when I ride a twenty inch BMX I prefer 20.5"-21" top tube.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  starting out racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx