gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 03:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  haf canti help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: haf canti help  (Read 2349 times)

Lazarou

Re: haf canti help
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 11:34 PM »
An A-Brake will be well out of the way under there i'm sure!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Not the brake my good fellow.....  just the cable as it loops from the toptube round to the canti arm.

SaMAlex

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 07:00 AM »
Sorry guys, I was working very late last night and didnt log on at all when I got home.

S&M will, and pretty much always have, made custom frames however people want um.  My guess is that someone wanted a CANTI (not U or Vee) brake on their HAF. No idea why they would, but Ive never seen another one like it. Also, this frame was is a shop with my 18” tt HAF, so they might have been part of the same custom order, even if they did end up in a shop in the UK.

I have spoken to Rory about this frame before and from what we can work out, its designed to run a centre pull Canti brake. There is an inner cable guide / Outer cable stop behind the top tube, which wouldnt work with a Vee brake (although you could still use a Vee if you didnt use the cable stop). Id be sure that the cable leading to a Vee brake would stick out the side and catch your feet, so a nice Low profile Canti, like mi16kie pictured is probably the way to go.

As this was probably a one off then there is every chance that the brake wont clear at all. The early S&Ms with 990s clashed everywhere and you had to cut 990 arms all over the place to get them in there. It might not be as easy as just finding the right brake.

Rory, I have got a few pairs of old shimano cantis kicking about (I used to use them on the front). I will grab a set and get them over to you. No point spending any money if it still might not work. btw, the HAF is lookin great!!!!

Oh, and Rob. I think this is the first time I have seen you make a mistake with your advice, but like you said, S&Ms aint your thing.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Coming from you bud, that's high praise indeed cheers   :daumenhoch:

I didn't look at the picture at all. I made the silly assumption that Rory had just got his terminology mixed up, as I'm sure I've never seen a HAF with owt other than an AD on it.....

A centre pull Canti makes some sense I suppose - fairly tucked away and a very light feel to the lever.  I can see why someone might ask for it specifically.  A bloke I know suffered with wrist and hand strain so much, we had to graft hydraulics onto his AD lugs once.

He was a pussy though   >:D

SaMAlex

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Im with you there Rob, I have no idea why someone would want to fit a Canti brake over a U brake (to a freestyle bike), esp in that strange place where its lightly to clash with your feet, or even the crank arms.

mi16kie

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 08:22 PM »
That odyssey A brake is basically a Vbrake which need diferent levers to pull the right amount (more) of cable. If you use a regular bmx lever they feel really spongey and have very little pad to rim clearance.Also if you were to run a gyro they feel even worse plus the gyro cables dont allow enough cable movement to work properly . Just look at the crap JJB sports sell and feel one of there brakes.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  haf canti help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx