gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 04:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replicating Old School Parts ? Lets talk !!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Replicating Old School Parts ? Lets talk !!  (Read 1386 times)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
Replicating Old School Parts ? Lets talk !!
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:09 PM »
Just read Gossa's thread about the replica ESP Stems he's working on, this got me thinking,...

It would be relatively easy, with the right skills and tools to make any number of RARE Old school parts,...you've got Johnny Chopper already making Skyway Race Bars, Bottema Forks, plus Torker & Quad Cruisers etc, and HELIX making Hutch Donut Seatclamps, and 'Pro Neck' Style stems etc., so what are the limits to replicating other OS Rarities ???

Hutch Aerospeeds were contoversially made a while back, so what do you think ?

Early Profile Cranksets should be achievable IMO, and Hutch Deep H Stems,..I could go on, but would be interested in your views.... ::)

This is a theoretical study BTW !  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:14 PM by monkeybiscuits! »
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Replicating Old School Parts ? Lets talk !!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:14 PM »
Lights blue touch paper and stands well back, wtches with eager anticpation  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Hutch Deep H Stems,..

These have been faked already.

It's going to continue to happen as long as there's a market for repro items.

So long as the repro's can be clearly identified as such and not mistaken as NOS or genuine, then I don't have a problem with them. Unfortunately this can not always be said for some reproduction items :(

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Lights blue touch paper and stands well back, wtches with eager anticpation  :LolLolLolLol:

;)   ;D
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 08:20 PM »
Hutch Deep H Stems,..

These have been faked already.

It's going to continue to happen as long as there's a market for repro items.

So long as the repro's can be clearly identified as such and not mistaken as NOS or genuine, then I don't have a problem with them. Unfortunately this can not always be said for some reproduction items :(

the thing is, technology has moved on so much since the old school parts were made, we have CAD etc now, you could feed almost anything into these programmes and come back with the data to make most stuff,

Any metal fabricators or precision engineers up for making a repro Changa or some Gen 1 Profiles then  ??? >:D >:D  ;)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 08:54 PM »
I took my Curtis to a bike builder in Bristol as I had a problem with the fork treads a while back - turned out they used to make Gen 1's for a Bikology in Bristol - know one new the difference - still got all the drawings and tubes etc !

Nick

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 08:56 PM »
you could do anything , and in my opinion lots of parts you all think are NOS are repro,or remade from the same moulds recently

its going to all be about providence.

I know what I have is real as i know its history and its providence, and i know what other people have may be suspect , Deep H stems are done ,aerospeeds, i think et seats and elinas .hutch seatclamps done already.

so buyer beware and check your facts and look at real examples of stuff

if a set of pedals are worth 500 quid , and to make them in the far east costs 5 quid ,its going to happen

login_user

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Hypothetically, If a new stem is made from the original mould to the exact spec,Then is it NOS or Repro ?  ???

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Hypothetically, If a new stem is made from the original mould to the exact spec,Then is it NOS or Repro ?  ???

Niether. It would be a new re-issue

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 09:33 PM »

there is currently alot of OS stuffing being sold in JApan, HK, Bangkok etc on ebay... ::)
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:39 PM »

there is currently alot of OS stuffing being sold in JApan, HK, Bangkok etc on ebay... ::)

If you're talking about the stuff from 'babelovely' then some of this is NOS, some of it is new (and without a doubt still being made in the far east) and some of it is just shockingly bad repro/retro/fake (the Haro stuff)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:30 PM »
Exact copies of original stuff is BS.

It's just for personal use?

Heard it all before.

Two years later they always turn up on ebay with some wânker selling them for a bomb or anyone that's got a mint original for sale being called a skanker.

i personally think, fair play if they are different enough that a layman could tell. Otherwise fook off.  :angel:

etkuwabmx

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 11:31 PM »
it is bad very very bad  :yahoo_silent:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 11:33 PM »
Exact copies of original stuff is BS.

It's just for personal use?

Heard it all before.

Two years later they always turn up on ebay with some wânker selling them for a bomb or anyone that's got a mint original for sale being called a skanker.

i personally think, fair play if they are different enough that a layman could tell. Otherwise fook off.  :angel:

What blobby just said...
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 09:02 AM »

i remember seeing a catalogue 3 or 4 years ago with shit loads of stuff being made still just now unstamped,also someone put a photo on here about 2 years ago of a guy pushing a wheelbarrow down the road loaded with haros in asia somewhere. must admit i have been looking at getting a changa repoped for myself as i am never going to be able to afford the real deal. it would be a exact rep but still isnt going to be cheap

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 09:42 AM »
I took my Curtis to a bike builder in Bristol as I had a problem with the fork treads a while back - turned out they used to make Gen 1's for a Bikology in Bristol - know one new the difference - still got all the drawings and tubes etc !

Nick

Nick you should get them to make one up for you....maybe you could get about £600 for it?   ;)

selfpreservation

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 07:57 PM »
nos or repro whats the difference youve all used repro decals why not a stem forks bars ect ,if you cant have the real thing why not have a precise replica , i refurbish retro musical instruments and if i cant get a replacement part i will make one or
repair it and take great pride in my work it gives me a lot of satisfaction when i fix something ancient and it works especially if i have manufactured the part myself more  so than if ive sourced a replacement part , so i say if you can fabricate a part which is comparable to the original then more power to you , you are doing justice to the design , this happens in classic car/ motorbike design all the time , if you cant buy it and your are skilled enough as an engineer you will reproduce it faithfully ,this is true devotion to a design driven by desire for authenticity and devotion of time  and not by how much an individual can afford to spend on a particular item, i have spent enormous amounts of time repairing synths way more than they are worth , remember that most of the items we all lust after were made by small engineering companys striving to improve on the basic design

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 09:03 PM »

must admit i have been looking at getting a changa repoped for myself as i am never going to be able to afford the real deal.

c'mon pete, stop pretending you haven't got a few mil stashed away !! :LolLolLolLol:

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replicating Old School Parts ? Lets talk !!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx