gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 04:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  self-inflicted damage.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: self-inflicted damage.  (Read 757 times)

dan-dare

self-inflicted damage.
« on: November 22, 2007, 02:05 PM »
What BMX components, rarer/dearer the better, have you fecked by over-enthusiastic torqueing of the threads, or generally being overcome with mechanical incompetence??

Mine was trying to adjust an ACS Boa, and ending up with tiny ball bearings all over the floor. :tickedoff:

Heres a pic of a fellow RADster, during one of his exciting mid-school builds. His forte is h-bar stems and their threads, the rarer the better! The pic shows initial torqueing, just prior to reaching for the scaffold bar. :daumenhoch:

Frosty

Re: self-inflicted damage.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 02:30 PM »
I've melted a pair of Shimano DX's, popped them in some caustic soda and went out to the shops with the missus came back a couple of hours later to find a bubbly mess in the old sink bowl with some ball bearings and two 9/16th spindles :2funny:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:45 PM »
Yip.  Watched my mate do that too    ::)

Still, I got the axles........  ;D

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Those boss bars are goin fookin nowhere dude! :LolLolLolLol: i was fooked after tightenin them up ;D

dan dude, i stripped the hutch H stem and crushed a nice set of early robo bars in one fair swoop that day, ive also stripped countless axle threads but this has been remedied by the discovery of decent chain tensioners, also popped wedges through forks in the past or stripped/snapped off stem bolts by over tightening, all this over tightening and i only ever put pedals on using my fingers as these are the only things ive ever had trouble getting off in the past the other parts just jemmy off a dream. 

tighten till ya hear a squeaky creak n ye know its ready to be ridden :daumenhoch:.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:56 PM by OrgasmDonor »

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 05:21 PM »
A find that a grinder is an excellent cure all ... ;)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

oldsky

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Hammering in sealed bearings to the bottom bracket of a T/A, missing and denting the chainstay :tickedoff:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 06:06 PM »
A find that a grinder is an excellent cure all ... ;)

ive actually used your grinder aswell dude, on me "fresh out of the box" 84 sport :LolLolLolLol:

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 10:17 PM »
I melted a pair of nos MX 1000 (white 1s)

Put them in oven pride ,
Forgot about them till the next day  :-\ ,
They had not lost the paint but turned into a pile of mush ,
didn't think to just trade with someone who had decent silver 1s  :-[
Wasn't too gutted at the time ,but i am now i see how much they keep going for  :'(

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Those boss bars are goin fookin nowhere dude! :LolLolLolLol: i was fooked after tightenin them up ;D

dan dude, i stripped the hutch H stem and crushed a nice set of early robo bars in one fair swoop that day, ive also stripped countless axle threads but this has been remedied by the discovery of decent chain tensioners, also popped wedges through forks in the past or stripped/snapped off stem bolts by over tightening, all this over tightening and i only ever put pedals on using my fingers as these are the only things ive ever had trouble getting off in the past the other parts just jemmy off a dream. 

tighten till ya hear a squeaky creak n ye know its ready to be ridden :daumenhoch:.

Threads and grease spring to mind  :LolLolLolLol:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Tighten untill the thread strips, then back half a turn  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  self-inflicted damage.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx