gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  SAVE HARROW
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SAVE HARROW  (Read 635 times)

billy-bmx

SAVE HARROW
« on: November 19, 2007, 06:04 PM »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: SAVE HARROW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Reading the article it says that they're planning a major facelift and a new skate park?  what's wrong with that?  i know Harrow skate park was iconic to the area but unfortunately times move on.
If they were going to bulldoze it and not put another one in it's place then that would be a diferent matter??

the plans could be for a much better park? 

just another view   ???

billy-bmx

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:40 PM »
yh but thats liike changing rom to a council park and most council parks are shit

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:42 PM »
i can completely understand that view!  but is Harrow anything like it used to be?  i've never riden there but i've been past it and i'm sure it's full of council style crappy ramps now?

could be wrong though (as usual)  :daumenhoch:

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:08 PM »
its a quality solid surf park. theres not many of these left as we all well know.
the locals dont want a new park, theres nothing wrong with the old one, if they want to ride a modern facility then they go to one. bulldoze harrow and thats it, no way of going to one just like it.
I'm hoping to be at the meeting tomorrow. I hope a lot more will be.

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:25 PM »
just been to the meeting, theyre going to bulldoze the skatepark and build a new leisure centre on it.
ride it while you can cos this is supposed to happen middle of next year.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:08 AM by biggeorge »

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:02 PM by biggeorge »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 09:19 PM »
With no plans to replace it?

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 11:58 PM »
the council claim that they will replace it, and are willing to listen to the user group for the location and design.
time will tell if they are true to their word.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:10 AM »
the council claim that they will replace it, and are willing to listen to the user group for the location and design.
time will tell if they are true to their word.

Cool. Thats a bigger step than it may at first sound.  See if you can find out if that statement was recorded in the minutes of the meeting.

Then be sure that the user group is properly organised, as diverse as it can be  (you've got to get all those annoying kids on rollerblades, microscooters, heelies, whatever AND their parents involved), and has a good personality as a spokesman.  I know it sounds like crap, but it needs to be someone who the council will identify with.  Not to be judged on riding/skating ability   ;)

Start collecting info on all the other council parks round the country.  Park builders will help with this, they all have portfolios.  There is a fair amount of jealousy between local authorities and this can be used to your advantage.....

Good luck   :)

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:54 AM »
there wernt any minutes recorded unfortunatly.
We've already got a user group, formed the last time when we had to save the park, most of us want the old park to stay.
I'm not holding out too much hope that they will listen to us, they didnt when they did the refub 4yrs ago.
Cheers for your advice.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Fair play.

Who did they listen to then?

Someone must have this file on their desk.

You may have to accept the exsisting park will be lost.  Sad, but unfortunately very likely.  It then falls to you to ensure the best possible replacement is provided.  Like I said in another post, a newschool set of moguls could be rad as fook   :)

And a first in this country.  Harrow council could be seen to be retaining some of the heritage of the orginal (legendary) park, and building something unique....  Huge brownie points for them. They love all that sh1t   ;)

Get them enthused about summat like that and it might just provide the basis for something really good    :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 01:59 PM »
also mate (as i work in Harrow) bang on about BMX/Skateboarding and rollerblading bringing all ethnic minorities and cultures together, helping towards a more cultural diverse comunity.

They lap that kinda sh*t up!   :daumenhoch:

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Hitcher and nick zorlac from death skateboards are in charge, it could work out ok but im not hopeful, i know what councils are like unfortunatly.
Ill keep you all in the loop when i find out more.
We got the full pc multicultural shite off some bird who was there, the boys have rallied the relevant lads to tick the pc boxes.
honestly, what is the world comming to? one of the lads is even prepared to claim hes gay to satisfy the pc crowd.
makes my blood boil :rant:
Anyway, it looks almost certain that harrow is going soon, so ride it while you can, time will tell if the council are as good as their word.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 03:22 PM by biggeorge »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  SAVE HARROW

gfxgfx
gfx gfx