gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  should i start can i start racing?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: should i start can i start racing?  (Read 831 times)

eloopnai

should i start can i start racing?
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:21 PM »
as a kid i was into bmx in a big way riding all hours and going over the walthamstow track and the eastway temple mills lane but never raced properly as my parents wouldnt take me around the country  i  was gutted i wasnt more involved in the sport to rub salt in the wounds more a friend of mine did race and made the local paper as he came 4th (i think my memorys not to good) in the nationals ! 
so now its 2007 and my 12 year old step son is into bmx just like all his mates are as it seems to be back ive got him a 2008 mongoose for xmas and he wants to join a club and start racing which i said ok i will take you and im behind you all the way
we went over braintree the other week to watch the racing which was good and it brought back a lot of memorys and i kinda thought i need to do this myself but at the age of 37 now am i too old ? i see the old skool series has really taken off and ive nearly completed my 81 chatsworth mongoose im very tempted to get out there on it and is there a class for older riders on new bikes as maybe i could do that as well ??
so im all ears on what people think  :)

Trev

Re: should i start can i start racing?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:17 AM »
i think you are too old for all this malarky.....  ;D

only joking.  there's plenty of people older than you still riding, so why not give it a go. you'll only regret it if you don't give it a go while you still can.  :daumenhoch:

sonic-1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:10 AM »
im 36 only started racin end of last year  :shocked: well kinda started will make more races next year i hope
go for it is all i can say just remember get some pads as we dont bounce as well as we did

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:16 AM »
As Sonic and Trev say, go for it.  Racing is fun, go steady, take it easy and buy the best helmet, gloves and body armour you can afford. 

Bosses don't seem to understand when you call in sick on Monday and tell them that you can't come in because you fell off of your BMX at the weekend. 

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:33 AM »
Ian, I used to ride at Walthamstow and Eastway. I race in the OSS now and have a great time, the best thing is its easy to take the kids too. Why not pop over to Dagenham as well, its a long track but very smooth and forgiving. Next race for the OSS is at Dagenham on the 25th of this month :daumenhoch:
BTW I am 41 years old now, and I cant get enough of it
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:18 PM by RATTY »
A long time ago, in a land far away!

zed4130

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 07:37 AM »
go for it mate, you will love it, i first had a go at mk, and then at the bournemouth regionals, i never raced bitd for the same reasons, but rode every day, when i race its such a buzz, i cant wait for another go, sadly with 2 very young babys im abit tied at the mo, but i race when i can ,  :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46 AM »
Eloopnai, no, you're not too old to start racing again.

I did my first full regional series in 2006 at the age of 37/38 and will be starting the national series next year aged 39/40.

Just ease yourself back into it.  Progress at your own pace.  I'm only just beginning to find the courage to jump stuff again.

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Yeah just turn up at braintree or where ever
and you'll soon be hooked

the grin factor and the buzz are amazing  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 12:08 PM »
I even had a go again in June (I'm 39) and loved it.   I raced between '80 and '84.  Didn't continue to race due to other commitments (my horse) and being preggars.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:12 PM by LucyLastic »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Didn't continue to race due to other commitments (my horse) and being preggars.

That is just no excuse Lou, you should have carried on regardless  :LolLolLolLol:

eloopnai

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:25 PM »
thanks everyone for your comments just really confirmed what i was thinking so after xmas i will join me and the boy up and give it a go
 wonder what the chances are of the mrs getting me another bike for xmas hmmm ......
was gonna go over dagenham on the 25th to watch the racing and see what its like over there but ive got football that day so will have to catch the next round
and i hope to see you all on the track sometime in the near future  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  should i start can i start racing?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx