gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 04:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Standard Roller Cam brakes!?!?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Standard Roller Cam brakes!?!?  (Read 2128 times)

Capt Canuck

Standard Roller Cam brakes!?!?
« on: November 14, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I have the Nov 93 issue of BMX plus. It has a whole article on Standard bikes. It talks about and shows pics of a roller cam brake some of the riders are usng.

did this ever get produced for the public?
Anyone have one?

SaMAlex

Re: Standard Roller Cam brakes!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:00 PM »
wasnt it the same as the Hutch one?

Capt Canuck

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 06:22 PM »
only problem is the article doesn't show a close up of it. From what I can see it looks like suntours roller cam but on the front fork

YGT

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:22 PM »
They looked identical to hutch , which also looked also similar to suntour rollercam 990 brakes (but with a custom cnc block)
As far as i know they never made it to production ...... maybe bill nitschke started off the idea in his head ?

I know bill left on bad terms, and maybe didnt tell rick exactly his ideas ... and rick then maybe tried to interpret  this idea?

Capt Canuck

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 03:06 PM »
The article was out before Standard was even had bikes for sale to the Public from what I understand so everything was still in the Prototype stages.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Mason Smith would be the man to tell you, but I'm sure I've never seen one....

Lazarou

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:11 AM »
From what i've read and been told it was all Rick's idea, Standard was heavily influenced by Hutch (and JMC) and Rick may have rode Cam brakes when he was on the Hutch team.

He and Krt ( not sure about Bill) definately rode them for a while around 92, but as i recall hearing they were a real pain to set up and needed constant fettling so I think that's why they were never sold (by Sandard anyway) to the general public.

....where's Chris Job lately? He could maybe shine some more light on this.....

YGT

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I used to work alot with rick wagner at standard back then and was always told this brake was still being tested but never heard anything more about it.
If you remember I think it was bill nitschke who finally invented a generic 990 with cable routing solution for the front brake.
Bill also invented the socket pegs etc, so I kinda think if anyone deserves credit for pushing standard design at this time, then it was more so bill.

Many people have said that Moliterno is very hard to work with and this is why the partnership of standard ended so very early (if you remeber it was krt, rick and bill at the start).
And also why so many team riders left standard in the 90's
According to bill there was  an incident with a baseball bat which lead to him having to leave in the middle of the night and drive X amount of miles back to indiana.

I think standard frames have always been clean, but when it comes to innovation etc in regards to parts I dont think moliterno was really that sort of person.
As if you look at product design after alot of key riders or partners left you can see a demise in technology.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 03:00 PM »
On a side note....  Laz, I'd definately do Lois Griffin.....  >:D

team_teapot

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 11:38 PM »
if you can get hold of a copy of the first standard video you can see these forks on the bikes the standard guys are riding at the time. as well as a lot of footage on haro masters and sports of the time.

As for the socket pegs im sure the first set i saw was the Havok pegs with grip tape supplied in the bag, that along with an extention for your socket to reach your nuts

christhejob

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 11:49 AM »
here i am laz.

they never went past prototypes.. when i went to standard (oct 93) the production standards were gearing up and not a rollercam brake in sight..
 air uni pegs were the first sockets!! 1985?!

laughinggravy

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 06:54 PM »
yeah chris, air uni's, with grip tape AND large diameter! Not sure you'd get those bad boys on a trinitys drop outs now tho...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Standard Roller Cam brakes!?!?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx