gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replacing Tektro brakes with Dia-Compe AD-990s
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Replacing Tektro brakes with Dia-Compe AD-990s  (Read 681 times)

Stevo

Replacing Tektro brakes with Dia-Compe AD-990s
« on: November 16, 2007, 09:06 PM »
I am looking to replace the standard Tektro brakes that come on many bikes these days, with Dia-Compe AD-990s as they are OS and still seem good brakes. Not too pricey either.

Do you think they would make a big difference? The Tektros are ok, but if I get my bike shop to fit the DCs I like to think my braking power would be improved greatly. Tyre taps and nose picks would be a lot easier. I would run Tech 77s levers too.

I see some FS-990s on eBay – are they mid-school?

Cheers

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Replacing Tektro brakes with Dia-Compe AD-990s
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Yeah, originally the FS990 was for the front as I recall - different cable clamps and stuff.

They are better than Tektros, they don't flex as much. however, clean rims, the right blocks, nicely adjusted springs and oiled cables make all the difference really.  I'm running ADs on my bike now, the stock green blocks are too hard for the rear at least. I bought some Clarks blocks from Halfrauds (£6 a pair) and whacked them on, jobs a goodun  :daumenhoch:

For your info, ADs, FSs, Hombres are basically just all dirivatives  (sp) of the good old AD.   :)

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:39 PM »
Are you running a gyro?
If you are, I cant recommend enough getting shot of the splitter cables and running a london mod or similar and 2 seperate cables on the bottom and a dragonfly gemini/snafu cable or modulever on the top.
The performance difference is amazing.
Give us a shout if you need any advice on setting up the dual cables.

Stevo

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Yes I am running a gyro. Never seen this set-up before biggeorge, if you have any pics or links please post. Cheers

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:13 AM »
You can see the twin cables on the bottom here...

heres the link to the london mod
http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_55&products_id=2310

heres the top cable
http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_55&products_id=552

drop me your email if you like and ill send you a review of a custom one of these I made with setting up instructions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:23 AM by biggeorge »

Stevo

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 11:22 AM »
That was quick, thanks for that. Is that a Haro Sport 06 re-issue with a new paint job? Great looking bike. Will look even better when you add the stickers.

Funnily enough the new brakes are for my Sport also.

I am tempted to get this cable set-up when I get the bike serviced at the end of the year.

Cheers

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 11:29 AM »
cheers, yeh its one of my few sports, theres more pics in the haro section in the museum. its got white tuffs on it now and a new seat, just waiting on the stickers. drop us a line if you need any help with the set up.

Stevo

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:24 PM »
Sent you a PM for the info. I doubt my bike shop will know how to fit this, so the more info they have the better.

I wish Alans was local.  :(

Thanks again for you help with this.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 01:23 PM »
no problem
the london mod is a lot easier to do than the mod ive made, all youve got to do is bolt it in place and run the cables.
Try to cut the outers as close to the same lenght as possible, and start from the brake and work forwards with your adjustments, ending at the lever.

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 01:33 PM »
ive got the oddysey london mod piece if you deicide to got hat route .the bit at the bottom whre 2 cables go in to adjust em up

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Replacing Tektro brakes with Dia-Compe AD-990s

gfxgfx
gfx gfx