gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 05:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Finally I Have another Cook Bros
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Finally I Have another Cook Bros  (Read 1376 times)

84profile

Finally I Have another Cook Bros
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I can't say how amped I am to have a Cook Bros again....it has been a long search but it finally happen, can't believe my luck!

When I was like 13, I had been into BMX for a few years working my way through a bunch of clunkers like a dragster (like a stingray) and a bunch steel framed economy bikes. Well that was all about to change wandering through a toy shop on a family holiday, looking at all the regular bmx bikes, I noticed a shiney chrome frame and fork set in the corner under jig saws and pogo sticks...it was a Cook Bros (buy price $149)! I was like...gob smacked...my eyes literally blew out of my face....I was broke (as all 13 years generally are) so I was begging my dad to buy it for me for my birthday...didn't work that day, however after a week of ear bashing and car wash/ lawn mowing promises on our holiday, Dad relented, and we were taking it home...I had the longest 2 month wait till my birthday (my folks made me wait for my birthday before they gave it to me)...when that day finally came around, I think I had it built quicker than an Indy Car crew can do a tire change!!!

Anyway, after about 2 years of riding the wheels off this bike, I ended up selling it to a mates brother, so I could buy my Diamond Back, really don't know why I thought that was a good idea, as the Cook Bros was actually a much better made bike, just nobody else had one I guess (go figure)...

Anyway, fast forward 23 years, I have been wanting to get another, but I really wanted to get the exact model that I had, there are a lot which have the euro BB and without the cross brace behind the BB...I was doing my daily trawl of ebay, when I came across what appeared to be EXACTLY the frame set I was looking for...the seller kindly agreed to ship to Australia, so I bid and won (no other bidders!). As most of you guys know Ebay can suck, because it so hard to tell the condition of the goods you are buying, especially by the the photo's so I really wasn't sure what I was getting...My original was serial 1435 and the one I just received is 683.

Well...when it showed up last week, I think I screwed (adamantly it is all finger tight)it together as fast as I did on my 13th birthday....Now, I'm normally of the opinion that I want all my bikes to look like brand new (I know that makes some people squirm) so I thought it will need a full re-chrome etc...but once I put this together, I just stared at it for like 1 hour...the frame set looks exactly as I last saw my old one...pure time warp for me.

I have decided to put a new decal set on and leave the original finish....I have been collecting all the components that I had on my Cook Bros BITD for about a year (I have ever part), however I'm still un decided about doing my replica or just leaving as it is...I've built about 10 bikes, however this is possibly the cheapest complete bike I've ever had, however it is now my second favorite (behind my Profile bought in 84).

Anyway enough lip smacking...I'm sure a lot of people won't see what all the fuss it about...but I love it!

A few days after my 13th birthday

The bike in it's final guise

The bike that I recieved off Ebay last week - after a quick bath

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
Re: Finally I Have another Cook Bros
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:46 PM »
Happy for you after reading that thread and happy for me seeing that bike  :4_17_5: just bought me a set of them cranks  :smitten:

Paul :Great_Britain:

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:46 PM »
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

W  O  W

THATS NICE

RUSS

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 12:24 AM »
Totally RAD bike , nice story too  :4_17_5:

magna13

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 08:01 AM »
i love that bike!!  :4_17_5: :4_17_5:  :shocked: :shocked:  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07 AM »
That looks the dogs, well done and a great story :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 08:12 AM »
nice one mate !!

that looks a stunner !  8)

good work  :daumenhoch:
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

dan-dare

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Superb!! 8)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Pure class  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Awesome really nice early bike and still a great finish on it  :daumenhoch:
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

DR VINOAH

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 09:03 PM »
things come to those with the patients of a saint

ace story

a true representation of moto exotica :coolsmiley:

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 05:14 PM »
very nice mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 02:17 PM »
Cool story, thanks for sharing.
Very nice bike, stunning finish after all these years...

nic968

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 05:31 PM »
 That's a beauty...Great story,and well worth the ebay gamble...
 Looks good wet too!! :daumenhoch:

gregster

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Great story and a lovely bike. Leave it as it is, with a sticker set and pads it will be awesome.

Nice work.
g

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Finally I Have another Cook Bros

gfxgfx
gfx gfx